Sign in to follow this  
Luceat

Food And Beverages

Heya!

Sorry if these ideas have been posted before, I am way too lazy to search properly.

Today:

Many foodstuffs have limited uses and/or is very difficult to make. Some things have only novelty value, like wine.

It's comparatively easy to make high nutrition food consistently, meals can be created from 0 HFC and still get you to 60% nutrition.

Many potential ingredients have little to no value, devaluing the use of foraging and milling for example.

Suggestions:

HFC overhaul!

Let nutrition value of a cooked food be a function of the number of different ingredients inside. Make reaching the cap of 100% nutrition require a LOT of ingredients.

QL of a cooked foodstuff somewhat decrease the decay rate of the food, also fills hunger/nutrition bar faster with hiqh ql.

Effects: Cooking is more interesting, more realistic (although, this is hardly a goal to strive for IMO), cooking is harder, making the output more valuable to those who choose to spend time

on it. Other skills increase in value.

Beverages

Give alcoholic drinks a (de?)buff that increases difficulty of actions. The more drunk you are, the harder stuff is to do and the more skill you gain! Slightly reduces time to skill on high levels.

(Boring) alternative: just give it a 5% modifier.

If you want a more complicated system, have an optimal level of drunkenness where stuff is really difficult to make. Over that, player randomly stops actions and pukes ;)

Makes alcoholic beverages more interesting and also increase their value. High skill players might need a lot of a product that is in limited supply but still is not too hard for a newbie to make.

Mead

We have knarrs and axes, the lack of Mead makes the road to Valhalla boring :<

• Like 2

The more drunk you are, the harder stuff is to do and the more skill you gain!

Errrr I don't tend to learn much or remember as well when drunk IRL. Probably should keep it consistant in game.

For the alcoholic beverages, if we just got some nice staggering and vision blur people would make it for kicks. Perhaps a minor strength buff :lol:  when really drunk.

PS: Any of you older folks ever do a everquest 1 drunken level 1 Kelethin race ? Massive staggering and tunnel vision + narrow rope walkways over a deadly fall. .... good fun.

Edited by Elen

minor strength buff, with added risk of injury (stumbling, side stepping, etc) and of course, risk of damaging tools. THou shalt not use saws and axes while drunk.

I like this, all of it +1

I think beverages like beer should be the staple drink of the game, like they were in medieval times. Water should work fine, but special beverages should be the best option for more situated players. Each beverage should give different bonuses, and some should be harder to make than others to balance out the bonuses.

As for HFC, I'd rather see more cooking tools and the ability to make a huge variety of complex dishes that require multiple steps and new sub-skills. This would be a lot more interesting than pan filling.

Edited by Sir Arowhun
  • Like 1

Errrr I don't tend to learn much or remember as well when drunk IRL. Probably should keep it consistant in game.

I'm with you on that one.  I'm on the more intoxicated side of life right now and fighting with my woman and neither of us will learn a thing!

However.  If dancing was a skill in game, drunkenness would definitely improve that!

• Like 1

Interesting idea. It could work very well with a bit of tweaking. I don't quite like the idea of more ingredients = better for the food, but other than that it sounds good. Overall a +1 from me.

The more ingredients = better nutrition thing is mainly thought to increase the need for odd ingredients like berries, spices and mushrooms. It is also a bit of a "quick-fix" and might not be the ultimate way to implement cooking.

As for mead, yes, we would need honey :) it might be something simple as building a manmade bee-hive (or whatever they are actually called in english) and the production being a function of flower/grass tiles nearby. +1 if you a fail at extracting the honey would have you run headlong into water!

Another idea for alcohol would be as a form of upkeep for tower guards. Then they at least have some motivation to save you, their source of alcohol.

Another idea for alcohol would be as a form of upkeep for tower guards. Then they at least have some motivation to save you, their source of alcohol.

That is interesting idea.

The quality should only affect how fast you eat while nutrition is based on the number of ingredients (some ingredients better than others + bonus variety factor).

I whole heartedly agree with said topic. We need more MUCHNESS to our beverages and food. Adding honey hives that grow on trees that when looted grants bee's and honey whatever is normal is good. you can then make a bee farm with planks nails honey combs n bee's. plant it on the ground and VOILA you can start farming bees. A requirment for food would be planting flowers near them and that could effect the flavor of the honey which could be used to make specific types of mead. I mean this can go on forever but this is just one idea I came up with while servers are down lol.

PS: Lets get some more voices into this topic!