Sign in to follow this  
Saroman

Stone Bridge Wip *updated

i am wondering... what is the scale of this picture you posted? seems to be just huge... or is it just high enough to ride under it?

it looks to me to be 11 tiles long but not sure on that either

Edited by Kegan

From the texture usage it could even be 2x22, but for that the railing seems a bit high, so I'd say 1x11 too.

I guess that short or low bridges will be just the flat top and all bridges longer than five tiles and higher than about 15m will get such a big support in the middle and all bridges longer than 10 will get two supports. Longer than 17 will get three, etc.

I like the mix of varying-sized stone bricks. Overall looks good.

It's like Saroman is a mind reader or something, this is exactly what I had envisioned stone bridges would look like if they were ever implemented in Wurm. So crazy how it's now finally being done. Looks so awesome!

• Like 1

I want to built one of those...no matter what and actually i know a few landbridges that could use a "rework" when this bridges come in *drools*

Now that is a beautiful bridge worthy of building. Much better than those ramshackle rotting looking wooden structures, although there could be a place for those out in the woods somewhere. Hopefully you will stay true to this stone bridge design, perhaps just toning it more closely to stone house texture. As always, the artwork by the new art team continues to impress and inspire its creative uses in these Wurm lands. Well done!

=Ayes=

• Like 2

I'd say something like this would look better in Wurm. Bigger stones and less of the perfect "brick" look.

Pont_Ambroix%2C_Gard_department%2C_Franc

Nevertheless, it's a great concept, but it just needs a bit of brushing up. :)

I think it looks like the perfect model  - for a marble bridge.

Like most people in this thread, I imagined stone to be a bit less elegant, more like the stone house wall construction.

Anyway, excellent work as always Saroman :)

Keep in mind that this is a screen of an 11 tile bridge, up close it probably looks pretty close to what Xallo posted. With less decay of course.

thinking about these suggestions though, the bridge looks great - maybe new stone walls to match the bridge!

also a new bridge to match the current stone walls!

for that imperial city look, this new bridge is perfect. for the rustic town, though... not quite

It looks really nice, but just as the other people had said, it looks a bit too "clean" and wouldn't really match with our other textures. Maybe that would work for a marble one, but not stone.

So, unless you intend to remake the textures of our houses in the close future, please adapt it a bit so it looks a bit more "worn" / "medieval".

• Like 1

You have to remember, when you look at "medieval" buildings, you look at centuries old constructions and centuries of decay. They looked quite a bit different when new.

• Like 2

I like how people call a 2000 year old design "too modern". (;

Iit looks like a perfect example of a freshly build roman bridge, like this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alc%C3%A1ntara_Bridge

Lol, your link is what we're (or i'm at least) trying to say. Look at the bridge model compared to that pic you posted, see a difference? your's looks old, yes.....same design, but it's got the old feel to it. We're the wurm's one looks brand-spanking new.

ok guys the main difference between roman architecture and medieval architecture is the type of stone they used and under what conditions romans have worked, also they had a way more organized society and job system, which made it possible for larger groups to work on those bridges....also roman time was quite higher developed than medieval or what wurm could be could called "low-medieval" tbh ;)

yeah true, medieval architecture wasnt decayed when they build it, but the chunks of rock they used were uneven! because, have you ever tried to "form" a rock? its damn ###### hard! and thats also why they rarely did stone walls actually and IF they did it was with loose stone mostly instead of chiseling it.

• Like 1

Wow, almost exactly how I imagined it. Perfect for long, high crossings. Can that basic arch also be adapted to do a slightly smaller humpbacked canal-bridge ? (To give height over an arch from a water-level road)

now to work on the animations for a bridge collapsing!! :P

lol jk, good work guys, lovin it :D

You people are ridiculous if you believe that a simple "teaser" model is the EXACT replica of what the bridge will look like.  Every single post is every single person in the community repeating what the previous person said about the "too perfect" look and feel of the bridge.  It is just a model folks to give us an idea of the structure of the bridges, to tease us a little.  No need to repeat the same suggestion or complaint for 3 pages.

Hehehe from the looks of it, shall require per tile:

• 400 stone bricks
  • 500 mortar
  • 100 "arched stone bricks"

~ PS: it does look a bit "too pretty" but I still like it  nevermind because romans

Edited by Elen
  • Like 1