Sign in to follow this  
Puertorro

Independence Bridge To Deliverance

Will not work.  As I've been told in the past  by gms, the depth of dirt at the border is practically infinite = no islands near that area.  Not to mention even if you just ended a bridge way out there and crossed server in the water, you STILL wouldn't be able to pull a cart or ride a horse across.  Also, if I'm assuming correctly, if you DID drop off into the water to cross the server to another bridge, you wouldn't be able to climb up on that other bridge.  NOT HAPPENING PEOPLE.

We can never know, since its not implemented yet.

If anyone is planning to give this a shot, I'd recommend starting at the boarder side.  If that fails, there's no reason to build out from existing land.

• Like 1

This has already been confirmed by the devs themselves that this will not be able yet people are still talking about doing it.

Don't waste your time - besides, sailing is awesome!

If anyone is planning to give this a shot, I'd recommend starting at the boarder side.  If that fails, there's no reason to build out from existing land.

:D

The trolling and the humor of this thread... and you just come and nail it in the head!

:D

Dont need to get all the way to the border (and aye its a pretty sheer drop in depth), just close enough for swimming.

Course even if the distances are too far for swimming, theres still setting up dock waystations for ships along common travel throughways. Bed and breakfast... granted there could be alot more in the way of support with food/drink-selling.

Again, I'm pretty sure Rolf could raise 1x3 tile island up so we could do this. How about a requirement where we have to sacrifice thousands of dirts, rock shards, sand to make the islands? Its not possible for us to make the island but likely very easy for Rolf to change some terrain data in the database.

I think its possible the Dev's could make floating supports. Its likely they don't want to or have time to do it.

Problem isnt that it wont work its that people seem to not want it to work. The fear that all waterways will now have thousands of bridges is ridiculous. Tell me who would have the time and resources to keep them in working order?? The i dont like it so dont try it attitude is very depressing when the game is about freedoms not limitations. What happens  when people start placing bridges in peninsulas and lakes? 

Whats the point of having a bridge feature if you cant build it where its needed.

trust me there will be tons of them built when they go live i am guessing every player will build at least one even if it is not really needed just to try it out. 

Edited by Kegan

Problem isnt that it wont work its that people seem to not want it to work. The fear that all waterways will now have thousands of bridges is ridiculous. Tell me who would have the time and resources to keep them in working order?? The i dont like it so dont try it attitude is very depressing when the game is about freedoms not limitations. What happens  when people start placing bridges in peninsulas and lakes? 

Whats the point of having a bridge feature if you cant build it where its needed.?

Well, that is an easy answer, just because you can do it does not mean your neighbors will like it. We live in a community like it or not and some ideas are not popular. In addition several people who are more experienced in the mechanics of the game have stated on several occasions that it will not work as planned. 

• Like 1

A good example of how this will not work would be the island at the deliverance/exodus boarder you can not even get that to work to get to the other side of the island and you want to get to the other side of a 1 to 3 tile wide bridge? it is not going to happen and if you can not get a horse/cart across it then there is no need for it we already have the boat bridge. 

Edited by Kegan

I have read the post and I have concluded that in fact it is not worth building the bridge.  If animals cant cross the server, then carts wont be able to unless dragged.  My idea of making the bridge to the other server was with the intention of boosting commerce thru trading carts.  Since this is not possible, it does render the bridge useless as the boat bridge already exists for ppl that is "walking".  Anyways, it takes a lot less time and resources to build a boat than to dump all that dirt in the ocean just for ppl to be able to walk to another server.  Until they make it so bridges and animals (carts) can cross servers then it is pointless.  

Thread can stay open for more ppl to express their thoughts on the matter and maybe, request to the management to enable the features needed to make this  project  worth it.

It's been a while, but I can give a little perspective on land bridges.  Having built several bridges that bridged depths of more than 300 slope.  Up to 345 depth it's not much of a problem to flat raise a road.  It requires time, skill and a lot of dirt of course but it's doable.   The problem with bridging to another server is that there is a ocean shelf once you get away from the land masses.  Considering that you can target the bottom of the ocean up to maybe 500 depth and after that you can't even select the bottom to judge depth you quickly run into problems.  You can't flat raise at those depths, which means that you have to pour dirt until it gets up to the 300 dept range.   The problem with that is that once dirt reaches a slope of 20 it rolls down hill so that to build a flat hill with a height of 40 you have to fill 4 squares to 40 and you have to fill all 12 points around that hill to a depth of 20 requiring almost 500 dirt.  If you raise that hill to 60 you have to raise the 4 corners to 60, ie 240 dirt, the 12 outside points to 40, ie 480, and the 20 points around them up to 20, ie 400 dirt, for a total of over 1k dirt.   But as you continue deeper the amount of dirt you need goes up exponentially.  Soon it takes hundreds of thousands of dirts to just get the ground up to the point where you can flat raise.

When we attempted to create an interserver land bridge between Wild and JK, pre wurmagedon around 2008, we found that we couldn't create an acceptable slope on the wild side once we got to the ocean drop off.   JK would have found the same thing, but there was a lot more ground to cover to get to the drop off, on Wild it was pretty close to the shore line.  We had to abandon the attempt.  Things may have changed since that time, I haven't looked at how deep the oceans near the borders are, but I have the hunch the depth is beyond what you could fill even if you stripped the entire continent.  

• Like 1

We can never know, since its not implemented yet.

As it stands now, it is not happening.  It has been confirmed by Tich.  If that isn't proof enough, then by all means waste your time dumping dirt.

As it stands now, it is not happening.  It has been confirmed by Tich.  If that isn't proof enough, then by all means waste your time dumping dirt.

Meh, I better try than do nothing.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by KaiH, November 24, 2013 - OT, trolling
Hidden by KaiH, November 24, 2013 - OT, trolling

Dont need to get all the way to the border (and aye its a pretty sheer drop in depth), just close enough for swimming.

Course even if the distances are too far for swimming, theres still setting up dock waystations for ships along common travel throughways. Bed and breakfast... granted there could be alot more in the way of support with food/drink-selling.

That sounds wonderful honey... let's make it a date