Sign in to follow this  
Nightswatch3

Graphics Glitch?

Hmmm.  Since the latest updates (Client 3.29b, Java 7.49, and Win 8.1) the Graphics has been driving me crazy!  Tiles are not appearing correctly (only the tile in the "combat radius" is appearing correct.  Objects seem unaffected.  I've changed a variety of in-game graphics settings to no avail.  I'm using a Nvidia Optimus graphics card which never had problems previously.  I'm 99% confident that the solution can be found in the settings or a changing of settings, but I'm at a loss of what to try next.

Here is a screenshot... 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfoi5p873uc9pn7/wurm.20131122.1015_1.jpg

wurm.20131122.1015_1.jpg

• Like 1

Happening to everyone really

My rare rowboat makes huge villages shine like crazy when I sail past.

I even regret a bit for having supreme + 2x rare forges in one house.

It started lagging me after they updated the rare shines to boats + other items.

As it turns out, I'm not the only one to whom this is happening.  After two weeks, I really hoped that this could have been fixed or at least addressed.  Anyone have an idea?  I've uninstalled graphics drivers, removed updates, and even did a system restore to a time when it was working fine.   All with no effect.  Navigation is tough, farming is impossible.  Please someone help!

Hello my friends in Motala!

I know your proverbial plates are full, but if possible, is it possible to look into a fix for this graphics glitch.  I am certain I am not the only person having the problem and it has only been around for me for the past 6 weeks or so.  I've reinstalled Java, Wurm, altered graphics settings, uploaded new video drivers, restored old video drivers and nothing makes the problem go away.  Any ideas?  Simple tasks like navigating and farming are next to impossible.  Here is a fresh screenshot:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/aabp1h8am067gyy/wurm.20131215.0027.jpg

Thanks for doing what you can!

Nightswatch

wurm.20131215.0027.jpg

Aha!  FINALLY A SOLUTION!!!!   :)   ....NOT....

For all those that are having the same problem (I guess it is common on Laptops), Go to Wurm Game Settings under the Compatibility Tab.  Under "Occlusion queries:" set to "Disabled".  

At least for my system, after 6 weeks of frustration, she seems to be working fine!   Happy Wurming!!!!

As it turns out, the problem is not solved, but it does work better when outside of a building.  I really do wish that someone could figure this out.

Nightswatch.

Edited by Nightswatch3

Do you guys also have 700 series nvidia gfx cards with latest drivers?

Hey I'm having the same kind of problem here I'm on a MacBook and I believe I'm having a similar problem. I just recently installed the game and I was just going through the tutorial... Basically the ground textures appear in offset positions and tend to shift when I move.

I'm running OS 10.9, on a late 2009 model MacBook. According to the "about this mac" menu I have an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB graphics card.

Any help is appreciated so I can try Wurm and decide whether I like this silly game or not.

First, it's worth noting that Nvidia Optimus is a technology for deciding between multiple graphics chipsets (typically an Nvidia graphics chipset and an Intel graphics chipset in a laptop) based on the application(s) in use.  Laptops with such technology will often use the low-end graphics chipset by default to save power, so making sure it's using the one you want (probably the higher end Nvidia one) for Wurm Online may be a good idea.  It's possible that may resolve the problem, since it may be specific to one of the chipsets.

There are also several options that could be related under the "Compatibility" tab of settings in the game launcher.

The messed up terrain in the screenshot in the original post looks likely to be a result of a FBO and/or Pbuffer issue.  The problem described by Connorses is likely related to FBOs and/or Pbuffers as well and is typically caused by having both FBO support and Pbuffer support enabled at the same time.  I would recommend trying the following combinations of FBO support and Pbuffer support (in the order listed):

FBO support: Core, Pbuffer support: Disabled (unchecked)
FBO support: Extension, Pbuffer support: Disabled (unchecked)
FBO support: Disabled, Pbuffer support: Enabled (checked)
FBO support: Disabled, Pbuffer support: Disabled (unchecked)

It's also possible shaders could be related to the problem in the original post, and a shader issue is likely the cause of the glowing problem silakka described.  If you haven't done so, you may want to try disabling GLSL shader support.

VBO issues can also distort and/or displace tiles (and models), though the ways they typically do so don't fit the screenshots and descriptions in this thread.  You could try disabling VBO support, though I doubt it will help with these particular problems.

Texture glitches have also been known to occur when using textures that are too large, so you could try lowering the texture sizes/resolutions under the "Advanced graphics" tab of settings.

You could also try different graphics driver versions, as it's possible a different graphics driver version may resolve the problem (possibly even without the need to adjust client settings).  However, make sure the graphics chipset you try different driver versions for is the one you're actually using.

I have the same problem as the original poster. I have tried everything that Telurius has told us to try with no luck. Does anyone else have this problem or have any other solutions? I have also asked in the in game help chat and submitted a help ticket with no success. Please help.

Schwanke recently found a combination that seemed to resolve a similar problem for some players.  If you're still encountering the original problem described in this thread, you may want to give the following a try:

Curent settings:

MultiDraw CORE

GLSL Core

VBO CORE

FBO CORE

Pbuffer UNCHECKED

mipmaps COre

Non Power of Two Disabled

Occlusion Disabled

Rest unchecked

PLus lateast java64 latest video drivers windows up to date, unstable client.

To be complete for posterity. My final solution was to to have java 51 installed with FBO and VBO turned on and pbuffer turned off. That fixed everything finally! Praise God! 

(I had rolled back to Java 45 because it kept crashing wurm on login but someone suggested I try it again now.)

I have tried those suggestions that were recently posted with still no luck. The ground glitches do go away, but it messes up the rendering of entities making them look stretched. Does anyone else have any solutions?

I have tried those suggestions that were recently posted with still no luck. The ground glitches do go away, but it messes up the rendering of entities making them look stretched. Does anyone else have any solutions?

The model stretching sounds like it could be a problem with VBO support and/or GLSL shader support.  When VBOs are enabled, geometry data is stored using them, but the geometry can be further modified by shaders.  Additionally, it mirrors what Schwanke encountered, and disabling VBO support helped with the model stretching in that case.  Schwanke has also made more progress since then.  I'd recommend you read Schwanke's posts in the following thread:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/81412-strange-graphic-issue-with-tiles-while-moving/

I'm pretty sure you're encountering the same issue as Schwanke, though I don't think it's the same as the original issue in that thread.  They do have a similar symptom (the terrain glitches), though.

The original issue in that thread seemed to be a Mac-specific issue in which FBOs and Pbuffers were interfering with each other.

This newer issue does not seem specific to Macs.  I've noticed people encountering it report using either an Intel or Nvidia graphics chipset, and many mention using laptops.  In some cases they also mention Nvidia Optimus (a technology for switching between multiple graphics chipsets in a laptop, typically used with an Nvidia graphics chipset and an Intel graphics chipset).  While reading up on Optimus, I found that it works a bit differently than traditional graphics switching solutions, and it is actually possible for multiple graphics chipsets to be in use at the same time with Optimus.  More specifically, it always uses the low-end graphics chipset for displays, but only switches the higher-end one on as needed, sending output from the higher-end chipset to the low-end one.  I'm not sure if the issue is due to problems with the individual graphics chipsets and/or their drivers or due to problems with the way Optimus is interacting with them.

Nvidia has a whitepaper in PDF format on its site giving an overview of how Optimus works.  It can be found here (will redirect to the PDF file):

http://www.nvidia.com/object/LO_optimus_whitepapers.html