Sign in to follow this  
JacobKukuk

New Map System - Sockmap!

Anti-griefing measures

1. A user has to have an account confirmed with a WO account to make edits. Jacob has already talked about this.

2. Limit how often a user can make edits. Does a person really need to make edits every second? By slowing down edits we should limit damage. In the begining it will likely be annoying but in the long run I can see edits limited to say 15 minuets.

4. Use revision control similar to what the WO wiki uses. I'm not sure how to best categorize things. On the wiki there are undue histories for all pages. An undue history for each type of icon (villages, roads, resources, points of interest) might be good enough.

I hope the project has the foresight to remind the nayerser that they have the right to not look and to simply ignore them. I have a few years of experience arguing with WO players who don't like maps. No consensus will ever occur. I like the idea of a map project in the hands of a third party because it means these folks have less power to bully/ impose there beliefs on others.

Please readers if you like maps don't antagonize the naysayers. Just let them speak there words...in one ear and out the other. 

• Like 2

I have nothing against maps, i firmly believe in the community map projects across all servers. My points still remain valid though. Wikipedia is well known to be unreliable, map dumps are old and unreliable. Privacy has always been respected in terms of the location of peoples deeds and should always be expected. Yes its announced when founded but it doesnt say where and nor should it.

A validation system simply becomes the same as we currently have, players marking where their deeds are and someone updating the map.

As for only a select few updating it in order to keep it reliable it just becomes the same as any community map only a few years behind.

The current community maps are well maintained and updated regularly. If someone cant continue it they pass it on to someone who can.

I can appreciate the idea and desire behind this, but ultimately it just becomes the same system thats there only far behind the current maps

I like it. I would love to see highways with better accuracy than we see on the current community map (I'm Pristine) and would love to see a coordinate system where the cords are always listed below the mouse pointer, as you move it around the map.

Would it be possible to capture the current map in a combined effort via individual clients? Some file we could all upload that would contain all our travels for the login period? Stich them all together to eventually make a complete, current and detailed map of the terrain? I have no idea, but would love a detailed map someday.

I like it. I would love to see highways with better accuracy than we see on the current community map (I'm Pristine) and would love to see a coordinate system where the cords are always listed below the mouse pointer, as you move it around the map.

Would it be possible to capture the current map in a combined effort via individual clients? Some file we could all upload that would contain all our travels for the login period? Stich them all together to eventually make a complete, current and detailed map of the terrain? I have no idea, but would love a detailed map someday.

That is all possible,coordinates coming up and road systems also.

• Like 1

misplaced one of my deeds and cant move it lol

Goodluck with the development :)

I think every deed should be added and if a certain person doesnt like it, he can come to delete it.

It's not even a big deal if someone's deed is in map o.O

If a deed owner doesn't wish their deed on the map then it shouldn't be there, end of story.

I respectfully disagree.

Just got done with a authentication system

Here is how it works.
1) When you goto http://sockmap.com you will see Validate and Login.
2) To get an account click validate and enter your Wurm Online Forum name (This is your public name anyone can see on the forums). Click validate.
3) Within an hour you will get a message sent to your Wurm Online Forum account with a link. Click the link.
4) When SockMap loads you will than be prompted to create a password. DO NOT USE YOUR WURM/FORUM PASSWORD!
5) You will now be able to login and add items to the map.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

What do you do if someone want their deed removed from that?

There are a way to remove a deed if mayor want hidden it?

Edited by GiuseppeP

I can't get the page to load, times out every time :(

A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out"

What do you do if someone want their deed removed from that?

There are a way to remove a deed if mayor want hidden it?

That is the ultimate question. How would you know if they are the mayor and not some person who is trying to abuse? I still have not been told why someone would want a deed removed. I have been told privacy but what privacy? From what I read on the wiki a deed pretty much secures your items and is pretty much just a name... Let me know some Intel on this.

I can't get the page to load, times out every time :(

A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out"

What browser are you using? Also what is the URL showing?

For why a mayor might want a deed removed, I'd suggest that though it might not be the case very often at all with Freedom Isles deeds (except Chaos, as per the second part of this post), there still might be a few players who want to be away from any visitors or curious travelers just to give the illusion perhaps of a more out of the way and private reserve. The logic would be that the more people that are made aware of where a place is, the more likely that place will have an increase in visitors. True in fact or not, that might be the case.

But a definite more obvious reason for not wanting a village deed to appear on a public resource is PvP, for the Epic servers and Chaos server. If there is a particular character/mayor who is targetted by a group, and that group would be happy to have even random characters join in their hunt and destruction of that particular mayor's settlement whereever it may be, it's alot easier to simply point to a coord in the sockmap system and say "attack there!" than distribute that info individually to characters.

The mayor in question might desire any attackers seeking his home out to actually be forced to hunt for it rather than having them just see where a passerby marked it on a public map.

Just ideas to consider. I personally think the system is fine for Freedom Isles server maps, though like I mentioned I can see why there might be a few players who prefer even their Freedom Isles deed be kept "off the map".

Using IE 9 (not my choice, work and whatnot)

url shows http://sockmap.com/

after timeout it shows http://sockmap.com:9000/

You could have some type of port blocking enabled is my thought, I have it sent on port 9000 so I can handle the traffic routing aside from the servers primary items.

For why a mayor might want a deed removed, I'd suggest that though it might not be the case very often at all with Freedom Isles deeds (except Chaos, as per the second part of this post), there still might be a few players who want to be away from any visitors or curious travelers just to give the illusion perhaps of a more out of the way and private reserve. The logic would be that the more people that are made aware of where a place is, the more likely that place will have an increase in visitors. True in fact or not, that might be the case.

But a definite more obvious reason for not wanting a village deed to appear on a public resource is PvP, for the Epic servers and Chaos server. If there is a particular character/mayor who is targetted by a group, and that group would be happy to have even random characters join in their hunt and destruction of that particular mayor's settlement whereever it may be, it's alot easier to simply point to a coord in the sockmap system and say "attack there!" than distribute that info individually to characters.

The mayor in question might desire any attackers seeking his home out to actually be forced to hunt for it rather than having them just see where a passerby marked it on a public map.

Just ideas to consider. I personally think the system is fine for Freedom Isles server maps, though like I mentioned I can see why there might be a few players who prefer even their Freedom Isles deed be kept "off the map".

Ah kk, its to bad a list doesn't exist with the name of a deed and the mayor so it can be validated. Will need to think of this or if anyone has ideas let me know.

EDIT: I think I found a way. I'll just make a server side function that checks the servers twitter like https://twitter.com/Pristineserver

and phrase all the deed creation messages like The settlement of Weatherhill has just been founded by Nordwind. and that user will be allowed to remove the deed instantly once verified if they choose.

Edited by JacobKukuk

*stuff about not having deed on map*

I will certainly cite from personal experience that when I had some roads added to the map 3 new settlements sprung up in local within a week. Some people certainly wouldn't like that, BUT .... a map is about accuracy and the primary map is used for many things, like future deed planning, hunting planning, and so on .... and if there is a large thing sitting there unknown it causes annoyance to others who don't live there. I hate planning a new settlement, carefully checking maps, and then roll up and its a freaking deed. Since the map is for the whole community I think the need for accuracy outweighs any privacy concern.

Pvp servers are obviously different so what I am saying does not apply there.

A few thoughts about the so called "privacy" thing and a possible solution to handle this, as well as "grievers".

Personally, I can't see even a single reason why a deed shouldn't be on the map - founding a deed is public information, walking over deeds tells the deed name, looking at dead token says even the mayor name and number of guards. Even  more, I think that the more detailed a map is, the more helpful it is - finding out where you are, seeing where you could head to find some undeeded space, etc.

Yet, some people seem to prefer to not have their deeds appearing on community maps, and far now, the general consensus among all curators of community maps was to not add deeds without mayor approval, or at very least remove them if requested. And we all know how reluctant wurmians are to any changes. :P

Then there is the problem with "grievers" - people adding false information, spamming the map, deleting / renaming / changing locations or roads. And, while personally I do trust that this public editing thing could work (just liked it worked for wikipedia or our own wurmpedia), it is true that having anyone editing / adding privileges may bring some problems and turn into some chaos.

That's why I come with this suggestion:

At least for a while, limit the number of people that can add / edit items on map to... dunno... three - five people per server (trusted both by you and by communities). People wanting their deeds added would still post on the community map threads, just that instead of one person doing the edits on their own computer and uploading a static image once in a while, there will be five people who would do that, directly on your site, and the changes would be visible for every one instantly.

This way we could have the best of both world: the security given by the fact that only trusted people can make the changes and the advantage of having a map which is updated much more often and doesn't depends of a single person.

This should also generate more trust among the naysayers, so the chance that the map will start to be used more widely is higher.

Over time, if everything works, more people could be given editing privileges and stuff.

What do you thing?

Ah kk, its to bad a list doesn't exist with the name of a deed and the mayor so it can be validated. Will need to think of this or if anyone has ideas let me know.

EDIT: I think I found a way. I'll just make a server side function that checks the servers twitter like https://twitter.com/Pristineserver

and phrase all the deed creation messages like The settlement of Weatherhill has just been founded by Nordwind. and that user will be allowed to remove the deed instantly once verified if they choose.

That won't work for villages founded before the twitter reports started.

That won't work for villages founded before the twitter reports started.

List gets more accurate over time :D

The privacy of deeds issue can be solved with a revision control system. If you don't want your deed on the map, simply remove it. Yes, right now it doesn't work like that. I believe if we can undue changes, like on the wiki, it will work out in the long run.

One solution to update the deed mayor list is with a screen shot. This would require a person's judgment. It should be obvious that I'm the Mayor of Yoelm from this picture.

RyPCVR1.jpg

How about a tag in extra information about a place marker which in addition to providing additional information about a place when click, also state who added the place and who was the last person to edit the marker.

Once validated and logged in, how do you add a marker?

I have been finding it very difficult to find an accurate current map of my island "Release" and have gotten lost a few times because the "deed" I'm standing on isn't on any map I have and so no idea were I'm standing.

I agree that on PvP servers people might want to keep their local hidden to avoid attack.

However on non-pvp servers there is no real harm in having a deed marked as far as I can tell. Just because a place is marked doesn't mean people will automatically seek it out.

As to map-dumps, could contact the game makers and see if there is a way to setup automatic periodic map dumps to the website which the map automatically updates to use the most current dump.

But yes, not having an accurate map with cities, villages, and other deeds is annoying, especially when trying to talk with people and you get asked "Where are you?" and the best you can do is "I am by a tree" or maybe if your standing on a deed the "Deed Name" and hope they know where you are because your standing on a place that isn't on the map.

• Like 1

- Chat system created.

- Added sub items to markers.

- Corrected placement shift.

Moving closer to releasing the ability to add paths and the ability to open markers for more details. Grid system is close also.