Sign in to follow this  
JacobKukuk

New Map System - Sockmap!

Greetings! So I have been working on a all in one map solution for everyone called Sockmap. I have developed it to be dynamic to the point where you can see updates as they are done without the need to refresh. At the moment you can only place Settlements, Markets, Tar, and Clay with additional details. In the future I will be adding images, order markers, and the ability to interact with markers and chat with others using the map. The details placed are stored but have not been implemented into the marker other than the name and type, that should be updated soon.

If you would like to help place markers or give it a view visit http://sockmap.com

Upcoming Features:
- Ability to mark pathways (By type and size)

- Full map zoom (To see view of full map)
- Search

- Icon Details (Full Description, Photos, Comments)

- Workflow for removing icons (Someone adds a pin to edit/remove)

- Anti Grief methods (spam detection/twerp handling)

- Tunnels, Bridges, Docks.

preview.jpg

Edited by JacobKukuk
  • Like 10

Now that's some impressive stuff. I like it. However, how do you remove a settlement? Only admins and the ones that placed it i hope. (would require some sort of login?) Otherwise i can see alot of trolling happening in the future. :) 
But overall, this will save alot of time for the mapmakers (which is doing a great job now)

Load time of maps is a bit long though. 

And zoomed out markers aren't showing the same location as zoomed in.. 

Edited by Guruen

Now that's some impressive stuff. I like it. However, how do you remove a settlement? Only admins and the ones that placed it i hope. (would require some sort of login?) Otherwise i can see alot of trolling happening in the future. :) 

But overall, this will save alot of time for the mapmakers (which is doing a great job now)

Load time of maps is a bit long though. 

And zoomed out markers aren't showing the same location as zoomed in.. 

Thanks for the feedback, Yea till I figure out a way to handle spam deletes it will be admin remove only. Will look into reducing the download size of maps and the marker sizing issue within the next day or so. :) Let me know if you have any ideas and will see to get them figured out.

This looks familiar...

Well done on this. I always thought the non chaos servers would benefit from something like this.

This looks familiar...

Well done on this. I always thought the non chaos servers would benefit from something like this.

Doesn't work for me. I don't see any map at all

Click a map on the upper right. I'll need to work out some instructions on the page better at some point.

Thanks for the feedback, Yea till I figure out a way to handle spam deletes it will be admin remove only. Will look into reducing the download size of maps and the marker sizing issue within the next day or so. :) Let me know if you have any ideas and will see to get them figured out.

Sounds good with the admin remove only for now. :)

Well i don't mind the load time, i usually just load map up once each gaming session. And i like the size and the ability to zoom in as far as you can. :D

Some sort of search function for settlements would be very handy.

Edited by Guruen

Just WOW... amazing job out there... really...

Still, it's clear that there is a lot of work still to be done.

And here are a few suggestion:

- allow full zoom out (to see all server on the screen)

- allow delete / move of a settlement (at least a couple minutes after it was placed)

- maybe implement a search function

- maybe also add some coordinates (for easier sharing of location info)

Edited by Zapacila

Tried adding my deed to the Inde map, deed name came up where I clicked, icon (blue square) went into the ocean lol

Edit: Making it login only to add to the map then whatever you add you can also remove may work :)

Edit 2: before you get started, SockMap is not affiliated or supported by Coder Club AB << minor typo

Edited by Shadz
  • Like 1

Just WOW... amazing job out there... really...

Still, it's clear that there is a lot of work still to be done.

And here are a few suggestion:

- allow full zoom out (to see all server on the screen)

- allow delete / move of a settlement (at least a couple minutes after it was placed)

- maybe implement a search function

- maybe also add some coordinates (for easier sharing of location info)

^^Agreed

Looks great, keep up the good work :)

Immediately what comes to mind is who are you and why are you making these maps. When an unknown who created their forum account on 09 November 2013 takes on a massive project such as this it tends to make me view it with skepticism and take a cautious approach. After you have supported your position with some background facts and substance I would give further consideration to giving it a look. Fools rush in while the wise restrain their footsteps, is the gist of the adage.....

=Ayes=

if it still needs to be mantained by people,why is that any better than the current maps? at least now the work its distributed between having a person on each server doing it ,if everybody accepts this,its all on you and if u leave we are all screwed.

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 1

Ayes,

All due respect, there's no need to be grumpy. :P And while it is totally OK to have your own doubts, I find it rather rude to discourage someone trying to do something nice for the community for free. And no, you didn't took a cautious approach, you took an aggressive one. :P

It's clear that the guy put some work into the project and he is offering it to us for free. He also spend some of his own money for domain name, hosting, etc. It may turn out well or it may never work, but there is no good in just dismissing it.

Remember he's not someone coming at your door to ask for something, but someone offering something to you for free. You don't want what he has to offer, fine, but there is no need to insinuate that he's scamming you.

... my 2 cents ...

• Like 1

Immediately what comes to mind is who are you and why are you making these maps. When an unknown who created their forum account on 09 November 2013 takes on a massive project such as this it tends to make me view it with skepticism and take a cautious approach. After you have supported your position with some background facts and substance I would give further consideration to giving it a look. Fools rush in while the wise restrain their footsteps, is the gist of the adage.....

=Ayes=

Don't forget to smile.

Awesome idea by the way, but could use some type of management and administration.

Nice map, easy to edit. Good work :)

Sure, it will need some kind of protection from griefers.

Names of deeds/other locations aren't often very well readable. What about some kind of hint/floating text while cursor hovering above symbol of location (deed)?

And Epic maps should be taken out.

Just for avoiding drama.

• Like 3

Well the map took so long to load for me that I had basically given up on it, but maybe that's just because of the internet connection in the office where I work. Just had a blue background and some markers for a while.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd need roads, grids, full zoom-out, tunnels, boat bridges, canals, and probably some other things I haven't thought of before I'd use such a map. Not only that, but I use the map for quick reference so it needs to load basically instantly (this is why we tend to use low-res versions of community maps).

As far as the contribution system goes, my personal concerns are more about what the general aim is. At least on inde, for years we have tried to maintain a careful balance where deeds only get added to the map if the mayor wants it to be. Therefore if someone posts on the thread trying to add 5-10 deeds at once I tend not to add them until there's confirmation from those villages. Letting everyone and anyone contribute means that there's no way to stop your deed being added (far worse for epic of course).

Edit: you may also want to consider how terrain might change over time. These changes can be significant (whole islands rising out of the sea), which is why I personally prefer not to use map dumps for backgrounds - it's much harder to add/remove terrain and still make it look like it fits in with the rest of the map.

Also, there's the simple matter that people often get confused about exactly where they are. If people are allowed to add roads, I think you'll likely end up with a beautiful tangled mess of black lines where people have tried to add small roads, or incorrect roads, or planned roads, and it will in no way represent how the game world really looks.

The simple fact is that in my experience, it takes far longer to remove, revert or change things from the map than to add them. As a result, I don't think this is likely to reduce effort for maintainers. I salute the effort though, and you may yet prove me wrong ;)

The other thing that I don't see here which is the number one thing I think people use the maps and updates for is the Roads. It's especially noticeable on the newer map dumps, but even on the map of Independence it's visible, it's not just important to know where things are but know some of the more efficient ways to get there. Nothing like heading off to somewhere only to encounter impassable mountainsides or hundred tile long fences diverting you, without any idea of where people are already moving back and forth.

i would help you maintain if you could get all the things like roads and tunnels...also you should add some sort of login system for adding... if you kept it as simple as it still looks i'm sure there are a few from each server that would help maintain as well...thus creating a team for you that could add/delete things and fix errors...on the same note i would limit roads to being added only by a certain few...

anyways..pm me if you wanted any help...

• Like 1

=Ayes=

I used to be vicero but created a new charecter so I could move over to pristine. In terms of why i'm making this map system? Because the person who updates the pristine map is not updating so it makes sence to give the tools for others to make the changes without a barrier. Not sure why you would be cautious just because of a map? Not asking for money or putting ads. Heck I dont want your money I get my servers for free. I just want a better mapping approach rather than photoshop static pictures.

The other thing that I don't see here which is the number one thing I think people use the maps and updates for is the Roads. It's especially noticeable on the newer map dumps, but even on the map of Independence it's visible, it's not just important to know where things are but know some of the more efficient ways to get there. Nothing like heading off to somewhere only to encounter impassable mountainsides or hundred tile long fences diverting you, without any idea of where people are already moving back and forth.

Added to the future items list.

i would help you maintain if you could get all the things like roads and tunnels...also you should add some sort of login system for adding... if you kept it as simple as it still looks i'm sure there are a few from each server that would help maintain as well...thus creating a team for you that could add/delete things and fix errors...on the same note i would limit roads to being added only by a certain few...

anyways..pm me if you wanted any help...

Thanks for the interest, i'll give you a notice once the roads and tunnel feature is complete.