Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 47

LSSNW47_2.jpg

Hello Fellow Wurmians!

We have not been taking it easy this last week so hold on to your hats, it is time to share some news!

Understandably there has been allot of questions and speculations concerning the bridges functionality and limitations.

So I have taken some time to interview Saroman and Tich about what can be said at this moment.

Disclaimer: Much of this may be subject to change as it is still early development, both technical and gameplay reasons may force adaptation.

Bridges, bridges and bridges!

WoodBridgeSloped_01.jpg

Surprise! You will be able to make arching bridges as an alternative.

Concerning functionality and limitations.

Currently to start planning a bridge you need to be two people standing on each respective side of the gap.

Continuing the work of building the bridge can be done individually.

There will be a minimum skill requirement and the skill will also determine how long the bridge can be.

In the total length equation the quality of tools used for surveying will also be considered.

You could circumvent length limitations either by making small islands or buildings as connectors, which could make for some interesting looks and shapes.

You will not be able to terraform next to a bridge. Neither can you plan/ build across a village that you do not have permissions for.

Bridges can be built from one building to another and from a building to ground, both as straight and sloped.

Rope Bridge can only be 1 tile wide, and carts will not be able to traverse it. Riding is unclear at this moment.

Wood can be 1 or 2 tiles wide.

Stone can be 1,2 or 3 tiles wide, and no, we can not show you the work in progress of this one yet. Next update maybe!

They all come with preset, attached fences.

And finally, functionality for making bridges that go over/ under other bridges is being tested, which I think sounds pretty awesome!

Fixes

Added title to players within range of altar being destroyed.

Creation Window

As the work going into the interface has been mostly technical lately we have not had much to update you on. But I wanted to share one important new development and that is its depth.

Our developers have been structuring and sorting items into logical categories for creations, adding deeper information all the way to root.

What I am saying is creation will be easier to browse and you have information about them and all their components available right in the interface.

In other words you will be able to know exactly what it takes to make any given component all the way to its most basic element, lets say rock shard, where it is explained and how it generally is to be obtained.

Art

Kingdom of sol tabards, banners and flags has been added.

So watch out on the catwalk, because these guys are now looking fabulous!

Rooster and Chicken models has been updated.

RC.jpg

My dear friend the Kyklops, Work in Progress!

cyclops_render_02.jpg

And so that you do not forget to submit your Art to The Creative Commons section of the forum! ;)

Here is Redbarons “pic of the week†starring our very talented rosedragon with some witty Wurm comedy! Enjoy!

giveemarrows.jpg

Alright so that is all for now. So now you can finally just stop everything else and

Keep on Wurming!

• Like 37

the bridges make me drolls!... but I want the creation window more... can't wait for it!

thanks for the comic headsup ;) .

Will both the players on either sides need the same skill to start the bridge or just one will need the high skill? 

Edit: I guess what i am asking is can i use an unskilled alt to help my main start the bridge?

Edited by Kegan

The arch needs to be a little more subtle.

Everything else sounds/looks amazing :)

Edited by Brunwulf

They stated about bridge from building to building above.

What I'd like to know will we be able to use bridges to connect one building to a different building? Will this inter fear with house construction?

Before we was able to VI a bug to connect 2 houses which bugged the land mass. We who had this happen remember it very well. I was one of the people who had the bug.

If you can build bridges on test please let me know personally and I will do some crazy construction on test to test every possible way to break or exploit it so you can fix what ever I can break or exploit before it  ever goes live.

The kyklops has belly button and nipples :o

That means there must be female kyklops. Who is the mother?

Edited by Vanya

Will you be able to use a priest as a alt?

Or will they get faith hit?

So ramp from top of building can replace stairs, nice.

I noticed on wood bridge you had wood frame support and no crib with rocks? would adding rocks make it look beter .

What about decay on different parts? off deed and so far below the water?

How would you repair this?

If your redoing art for Kyklops, are you going to add more, respawn them as a mob?

Do all bridge conection need to be in a straight line or can they be angled depending on direction you wish to go?

From comments above, here is some answers..

The helper does not need any skill.

The supports are all one part, so can repair just about at any height.

Bridges only go N-S or W-E.

Unsure about bridges and buildings, don't want to have bridges poking in a roof, or passing through walls of a house. So limitations will have to be added.

• Like 2

"Bridges can be built from one building to another and from a building to ground"

does that mean we can use them as staircases?just without the stairs but with slopes?:P

I can hardly wait to see the bridges implemented and I think that they look simply amazing.

But what I think are even more amazing are these information bulletins themselves which RedBaron_Johan writes for us every week, since it lets us know that work is done behind the curtain even when we don't have anything visible in the game client and keeps us entertained waiting for the new features.

And the same thing I can say (at a lower degree though) about the way that Rolf handled the DDOS attack - it took a lot to fix, his messages were really short, but at least we knew what is happening, we knew that somebody is working on solving this and we knew that it will be solved as soon as possible.

So well done to both developers, artists and public relation officer. :)

And, for the first time since May 2nd, I start to kinda feel that raising the price was a wiser decision then letting some of the team go.

I'm a whiner, so I will still find things to complain about, but overall I'm totally happy about the game development as it is now. :D

Cheers,

Alex

Edited by Zapacila
  • Like 1

Wow, this will be awesome! :D I can already see all the possibilities with those bridges :)

Quick question, can you build a fence on a bridge? Or at least somehow lock the start/end of the bridge for protection?

is there a height limit for the bridges, for example 300slopes?

and can we build over 40 tiles long bridges?

Looking forward to bridges... Me and a buddy already got some plans for our mountain community :)

And as for the crafting system... At first I was disappointed it was gonna change then, I went to test to test it out.

I realized how easy it makes building even stuff such as a guard tower! It is amazing!

• Like 1

Awesome! This bridge development is getting more exciting by the update. I am especially happy about the stone bridges, as previously I didn't know those were coming in. The width has also been considered, which is great. Can't wait!

Bridges;

I'm very curious how decay, and destruction rights will affect peoples decision to keep making dirt bridges. What's going to happen to the connecting bridges when an off deed 1x1 support house decays away?

I'm also kinda concerned about an issue we've dealt with in the past. Who has the right to destroy transportation infrastructure? In the past it has been easy to move a road. I have a feeling it won't be so easy to move a bridge. Further, since its been decreed that roads are often more important that paying customers ( roads are unquestionably higher authority then perimeter and even village tiles in some cases) will land use be blocked because some player built a bridge on it? Its unlawful to destroy enclosures, will bridges fall into a similar category?

I'm also kinda concerned about an issue we've dealt with in the past. Who has the right to destroy transportation infrastructure? In the past it has been easy to move a road. I have a feeling it won't be so easy to move a bridge. Further, since its been decreed that roads are often more important that paying customers ( roads are unquestionably higher authority then perimeter and even village tiles in some cases) will land use be blocked because some player built a bridge on it? Its unlawful to destroy enclosures, will bridges fall into a similar category?

What I would suggest is that if a bridge is part of a highway, it gets the same protection.  No modification without GM permission.

If not, then it should be treated just like a road, and anyone can modify.

That sounds reasonable to me.  Any comments or alternatives ?

• Like 6

@ Seara   I disagree with the current road rules. I think the paying customer should have priority. Thus, there is really no point in me getting into it into too much detail. I just wanted to bring it up so you'll can get a head start on it. If I had my way all the rules for roads would be removed. no deed, no control.

Edited by joedobo
  • Like 3