Sign in to follow this  
Schiann

Oregonian! Reveal Thyself!

One of my linguistic triumphs from living over here in the UK is I can now say Worchestershire with no trouble at all, and now I wonder why it was always such a struggle to spit it out. ;)

(And Leicestershire is so much tougher than just Leicester!)

Oregon has a lot of fun-to-pronounce Native American names, like Yachats (Yah-hots), Champoeg (Sham-poo-ee), Siuslaw (Sy-oo-slaw), Umatilla (You-muh-til-uh).  And then things like Walla Walla, Tumtum, Nimrod... :)

But it's Worcestershire, not Worchestershire =(

Bit up the coast myself, in British Columbia (In the REAL Vancouver), but we have about the same climate, even if we do get more rain, less fog, and (slightly) cooler temperatures. Maybe the game exclusively advertises in Oregon or something? Would really be nice if Wurm got the word out more. I can't help but feel like that's what it really suffers from. Noone I talk to, (myself included till I heard of it from a friend) has ever even heard of Wurm.

I have heard there are still people back East that think we still roll around in horse drawn carrages...

Nah.... most of us east coast people know what's up. You couldn't pay me to live in Cali. I'd willingly reside in Oregon.

Best west coast state.

Aye logging has one of the highest death and injury rates in industrial, in fact I believe its currently the highest. Something like 115 fatalities per every 100,000 workers.

Can... can I have you all reinact Oregon Trail on Wurm?

Wagons need implementation first.  ;)

• Like 1

[steps forward] I've noticed this too....very strange to see so many claim it with such a low and internationally diverse playerbase. Can someone explain this anamoly?

Portland Metro area

You know who else is an Oregonian?

Joanavon

Should have an Wurm Oregonian party sometime, I think it would very interesting to meet those of which we have a mental picture of, but do not really think of as an actual person. If it was close enough to Portland, I would defiantly think about going.

• Like 1

Just moved from Oregon, west of portland about 30 miles :) Of course with the prerequisite loggers in the family and oregon trail traditions of how the family emigrated to the Willamette valley. Sadly no miners in the clan :P

Edited by Pingpong

Albany here, south of Salem, north of Eugene on the I-5

Donner. Party of 50.

The Donner party went to California, not Oregon. They arrived at Sutter's fort in the middle of winter.

Albany here, south of Salem, north of Eugene on the I-5

The Donner party went to California, not Oregon. They arrived at Sutter's fort in the middle of winter.

Indeed they were headed for California, mostly by way of the Oregon Trail (ie Oregon Trail game), which eventually would fork off to the California branch passing through the Sierras. The whole circle jerk affair is still a well known cautionary tale in Southern Oregon, especially since it seems like every winter theres some couple or group getting stranded on some snowed-in backroad.

Poorly known "shortcuts" are rarely worth it, especially in bad conditions.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

...And possibly have a decal on your car explaining the correct pronunciation of the state name via phonetics.

ORYGUN

...You see people with umbrellas in the rain and think "noob" or "Californian".

...You find nothing odd about wearing a coat and shorts together.

...Flannel shirts were part of your wardrobe before 1990 and continue to be (even if you were born in the 90s).

Oregonians don't tan, they rust

Liquid Sunshine

Summer was lovely last year, it was on a thursday in the second week of August

Loggers knickname for a logging truck is Spotted Owl Mobile Home

Not an Oregonian any more but lived there for 13 years during my back-to-the-land hippie days. hehe.  Lived in Zig Zag for a year (just down from Gvmt Camp on Mt Hood), about a year in Eugene, the rest of the time was on the south coast  Reedsport, Winchester Bay. Settled the longest in Ash Valley/Loon Lake (east of Reedsport) in a cozy little cabin with no electricity or running water.  And yeah, the pronunciation of Willamette was my first stumbling block upon arriving in Oregon. lol  Being the total California city kid I was when I moved there, indulging my pioneer spirit, I think that the majority of any valuable life lessons I've learned in life were learned in Oregon.  Still want to go back, but can't just yet.  Nice to see so many Oregonians here.   :)

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 2

It seems that the population of the Beaver state is apply conditioned to the gameplay of wurm. 

I'm from Hillsboro.

I actually have an alliance-mate from Beaverton.  It was a real shock.

From my 15+ years of online gaming, I've met like 2 people from Oregon (minus people I knew before hand).  I figured there was only 6 computers with internet in our state or something :D.

• Like 1

So how have you guys liked the weather lately? I just found a 2-foot icicle hanging off my porch.

When they learn I'm American, people here in England ask me how I'm coping with the rainy, cold winter over here. Twice this week I've had to show pictures of Oregon's current weather...