Sign in to follow this  
Schiann

Oregonian! Reveal Thyself!

Eww, not like that, put your shorts back on!

Over the last year or so, I've discovered a lot of folks I've been playing Wurm with for ages are fellow Oregonians.  There are at least 5 in my village on Chaos, and I'm only related to one of them (that I know of...)  Considering there are generally fewer than 1000 players online in Wurm at any given time, it has me intrigued; how many of us are out there?

Go on, raise your hand.  Even if you haven't shaved your pits.

*raises hand*  Eugene, here.

• Like 3

*Raises Hand*

Portland area :)

Edited by Shrimpiie

[steps forward] I've noticed this too....very strange to see so many claim it with such a low and internationally diverse playerbase. Can someone explain this anamoly?

Portland Metro area

I found an abundance of people from the state of new york, we are all jerks.

yup

[steps forward] I've noticed this too....very strange to see so many claim it with such a low and internationally diverse playerbase. Can someone explain this anamoly?Portland Metro area

My theory has something to do with an inborn love and reverence for nature and a fondness for freaks...

• Like 1

Ur only native if you can pronounce Oregon correctly :huh:

...and have webbed feet :D

• Like 2

...And possibly have a decal on your car explaining the correct pronunciation of the state name via phonetics.

ORYGUN

...You see people with umbrellas in the rain and think "noob" or "Californian".

...You find nothing odd about wearing a coat and shorts together.

...Flannel shirts were part of your wardrobe before 1990 and continue to be (even if you were born in the 90s).

Ur only native if you can pronounce Oregon correctly :huh:

...and have webbed feet :D

I think it's hilarious when people come up here and try to pronounce the Willamette...

will-am-et for anyone interested ;)

• Like 1

I think it's hilarious when people come up here and try to pronounce the Willamette...

will-am-et for anyone interested ;)

Loughborough [Luf-ber-rer] is always a good one in the UK ;) Along with Leicester [Less-ter].

• Like 1

Interesting, that is far from how I would have gone about saying those.

I know there are more of us....come out of the woodwork already

• Like 1

Interesting, that is far from how I would have gone about saying those.

Aye, I've heard of them being pronounced lou-ger-ber-rou-ger and lau-ber-rau, and of course Lee-i-cess-ter

Loughborough [Luf-ber-rer] is always a good one in the UK ;) Along with Leicester [Less-ter].

One of my linguistic triumphs from living over here in the UK is I can now say Worchestershire with no trouble at all, and now I wonder why it was always such a struggle to spit it out. ;)

(And Leicestershire is so much tougher than just Leicester!)

Oregon has a lot of fun-to-pronounce Native American names, like Yachats (Yah-hots), Champoeg (Sham-poo-ee), Siuslaw (Sy-oo-slaw), Umatilla (You-muh-til-uh).  And then things like Walla Walla, Tumtum, Nimrod... :)

...And possibly have a decal on your car explaining the correct pronunciation of the state name via phonetics.

ORYGUN

...You see people with umbrellas in the rain and think "noob" or "Californian".

...You find nothing odd about wearing a coat and shorts together.

...Flannel shirts were part of your wardrobe before 1990 and continue to be (even if you were born in the 90s).

That was a funny convo we had that day. I use my umbrella for the sun. :D Btw... it was in the 20's this morning, brr.. 

talking about spelling Oregon.. I think once schiann try to teach me spelling it and I fail.. badly........ like badly...

And this thread is fun, even that I'm not Oregonian :( ...

Is oregano come from Oregon?

Edited by rosedragon
  • Like 2

I have heard there are still people back East that think we still roll around in horse drawn carrages...

Eww, not like that, put your shorts back on!

Over the last year or so, I've discovered a lot of folks I've been playing Wurm with for ages are fellow Oregonians. There are at least 5 in my village on Chaos, and I'm only related to one of them (that I know of...) Considering there are generally fewer than 1000 players online in Wurm at any given time, it has me intrigued; how many of us are out there?

Go on, raise your hand. Even if you haven't shaved your pits.

*raises hand* Eugene, here.

I play on Chaos too and I also live in Oregon.

We live next to the guys who do the Ax Men show...

Real forestry work is dangerous. I had a friend while I was growing up who had a logger as a dad. His dad got crushed somehow by a tree and died. It's almost as dangerous as fishing and tha'ts popular around here too. One of the former cast members of Ax Men died recently while flying a helicopter for a logging operation.

My grandpa logged. Everybody in my community has known a logger sometime.

Did you know the west coast of the US and Canada has the tallest trees in the world?

Here:

We’re No. 1! World’s tallest forests are clustered in Pacific NW and parts of SE Asia

Btw, I think this has to do with the "prevailing currents" in our atmoshphere. Sicne we have an ocean hugging our leftside and because there's a current going from west to east then we get swamped in moisture coming from that direction. People on the east coast only receive the remnants and it's harder for moisture in the atlantic to reverse direction and slam into them. You can clear see this be driving east starting at the coast. What you'll see is as you go inland the moisture dies off. This may be related somewhat to the moisture moving north, but I think it has something to do with the energy of the fronts being spent mostly on hte coast and in the mountain ranges.

I think this is part of it:

Rain Shadow

Edited by Lightonfoot
  • Like 1

My dad worked in lumber mills most of his life. I don't think I know anyone from Oregon who doesn't have timber workers in their family.

When I was 11, while out fishing (on BLM land) with my dad and my little sister, sis and I decided to use a log as a see-saw. The log rolled onto my foot and broke it in 5 places. Even I have a timber industry injury.

• Like 1