Sign in to follow this  
Wraithglow

New Community Map Updater Required

i've taken over the celi map and was told about GIMP a free photoshop type program.  it's easy to use for updating the maps too.  but not sure if you'd need to start the whole map over. or if it would load the indi map with the layers easy?  thought i'd mention the program

paint.net is free too :)

As stated the map is not done in MS Paint its done in Paint.Net currently with layers added by Wraithglow (as when I saved the map over a year ago we were only able to salvage the flat map at the time) but paint.net is a very powerful program and works well but that doesnt mean that other software isnt as good.

There have been previous attempts using the Google maps api but they have never really panned out well or been liked which is why the main community map stands as it is and has done for years.

If we could do google styled map (colors and such) it would be much easier to read, and maybe we could do it as here http://sockmap.com:9000/?validate=9acc08f8-5c99-4cb7-b491-0b49e9d9abbe

Map should be more detailed as deeds are close to each other. Thats my thoughts about it.

Anyway, how is map dump created and why it is not top view?

Edited by Karnholm

You've done a great job Wraithglow.

I currently keep a layered map of my own which I regularly update via the events log and the posts here on this forum topic, so it would be no problem for me to do a wee bit more with respect to uploading the updates for the players.

Think about it at least.

Skyefox

Albia Estates

Albia Island Retreat

I should also note that I keep an Excel file of all the deeds (past and present)  and Hughmongus, my husband has been doing the detailed updates on the Independence map coastlines

Edited by skyefox

Wraithglow, it has been a pleasure to work with you as a contributing Cartographer-Surveyor volunteer over the past year.

Skyefox has developed a multi layer map using Paintshop Pro

with seperate layers for

1. the Topography, (where my geography surveys go)

2. the Deed indicators and their names,

3. the unique feature indicators (guard towers, mail boxs, merchants, etc).

She finished the construction of the multi layer Indy map a few months ago, and does keep it up to date each week, so it is ready to go live.

So basically, Skyefox's layered map is a complete copy of the current Indy Map.

Good luck in your future endeavours.

Warmest regards! Hughmongus

volunteer Cartographer-Surveyor contributor to the Indy map project

Edited by HughMongus

Anyway, how is map dump created and why it is not top view?

Rolf made the Map Dumps and it appears that he took those "photos" from an angle of about 30 degrees to the south of the center line of the vertical axis, to show the topography of the various isles in 3D relief.

Food for thought.

Cheers! Hughmongus

volunteer Cartographer-Surveyor contributor to the Indy map project

Edited by HughMongus

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by KaiH, December 4, 2013 - under review
Hidden by KaiH, December 4, 2013 - under review

I personally STRONGLY object to hughmongus/skyefox being the ones to update the map.

In my experience they're not the most reliable of players and are far from trustworthy.

Ok guys I've decided to go with Archaed (he's been informed) and he'll be taking over from next weekend - I'll do one last update this week probably.

I hope everyone will be nice to him, and try to avoid spamming all your deeds in one place to make the text hard to position (I'm looking at you, inner sea people!) ;D

I'm not going to go into details about why I chose Archaed and not somebody else because, frankly, I don't have details - it's just a gut decision in the end. I hope he does great, and I wish him luck!

• Like 5

Congratulations on the promotion Archaed, live long and prosper :)

Gratz Arch :)

Big TY to you Wraith for your work of keeping our map up :)      

Good decision, thanks for all your work for keeping the map up to date.

Congratulations Archaed :)

Is it possible to do a new dump, but do it a top view? I think it is easier to navigate and bo place will be nonvisible coz of high mountain. Im curently trying to do a more stylized fantasy looking map. When Im done I will show you. Maybe it will be better looking? We will see, you will judge. 

Thank you all for the congratulations, I hope to be able to prove myself well suited for this job.

I'd like to also thank Wraithglow for his hard work and dedication with the maps over the past year, and will maintain the same level of commitment  and accuracy.

@Karnholm - This thread isn't about using a different map, and the ones to speak to re: a mapdump would be Rolf and the devs, I don't see it happening though.