Sign in to follow this  
Wraithglow

New Community Map Updater Required

Hello all,

Just over a year ago, I took over updating the Independence community map. It's a nice little task to do while you're playing Wurm - not very technical or time consuming.

Unfortunately, due to restrictions on my available playtime from RL commitments, I need to cut some things out if possible, and this is what I would call a "non-essential chore" for me. I feel that the 1-2 week wait I now end up having between updates is a bit too much.

What I'm looking for is someone to hand the torch to. You don't have to live on Independence or even play the game regularly (I've been on Release since June!). What you do need is to be honest, patient, thorough, dependable, trustworthy, and approachable.

No real art skills are required. It may surprise you to learn that up until about 8 months ago you probably could have done it all using MS Paint - I've only recently introduced a second "layer" to allow deed changes to be made quicker. I do more work with the pixel pencil than any other tool.

I will warn you - it is not a pretty process. Like sausages, many people would probably prefer not to know how it is made. There's no pay, no reward except what you choose to give yourself (for me, the quotes on the bottom are the highlight).

If you've managed to read all this, and are still interested, then either post below, send me a forum-pm, or message me in-game on Wraithfoe. I'd like others to let me know if they know someone who has applied to be suitable or not. If nobody applies, or nobody suitable is found, fear not - I will continue until my successor steps forth.

regarding the art you said used to be ms paint and now uses a second layer... was wondering what program you using now... and i'm not sure i could do it all alone, but i guess if nobody steps forward i could help as i could. wouldnt mind more info as to how you get info on deed locations and update it tho. thanks

regarding the art you said used to be ms paint and now uses a second layer... was wondering what program you using now... and i'm not sure i could do it all alone, but i guess if nobody steps forward i could help as i could. wouldnt mind more info as to how you get info on deed locations and update it tho. thanks

I use paint.net, the files are in pdn format for editing (png flat files for the uploads). All of the information comes from this thread:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/68451-independence-community-map/

I don't manually check that the updates are correct (though I will query that the person is really the mayor if they are posting multiple new deeds, for example).

I can aid Ekib on this if he decides to do this. And we will pester each others like always ;D .. I just not confident I can take it a whole as I just start my new community project.

I'm willing to put my hand up for this, Im no genius when it comes to being artistic, but I know enough that I wont screw it up. I dont know how its decided who takes over, but pm me if you are interested

• Like 4

I'm willing to put my hand up for this, Im no genius when it comes to being artistic, but I know enough that I wont screw it up. I dont know how its decided who takes over, but pm me if you are interested

Go Go archy

i dont exactly want to do it,but i could if everybody else fails

lol tpikol. well cant say it'd be a walk in the part for me either but i sure done want to see the map fall either.

was thinking maybe if a small team handles it the strain wouldnt be all on one person but would surely require more communication and arrange a system to not do the same work several times.

download the raw file from the server, edit, upload.. post on forum of the update ;) rinse and repeat?

I could also stick my hand up for this, if i did do it however it would only be updated twice a week, propably on a set days (like Wednesday and Sunday or something like that).

I think it is better to have 1 person doing it than several, just because it means giving FTP access (not mine) to people. I'll give it another week or so in case anyone else pops their head up and then decide.

I think it is better to have 1 person doing it than several, just because it means giving FTP access (not mine) to people. I'll give it another week or so in case anyone else pops their head up and then decide.

well like i said u dont really to be the one updating it,but maybe i can help with the source file to make it easier to update

I'd like to throw my ticket into the hat, I would love to be able to do this for the Independence community :)

Edited by Shrimpiie

Wish I had the time to do this :\. Also the Shrimpiie gets my vote.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the hard work wraith !

As Elen said, I too would like to take this oppurtunity to thank you for keeping the community map of Independence up to date. It has and will help a lot of players, both new and old, on a daily base!

Imo you've done a great job :)

noone will agree but heck, ive edited the indy map to make my own private map with ms paint, so if i do get a vote atleast il sign up too

I can help with this if need be.

Just let me know, i am a qualified graphic designer,

I know you dont need skills to do it, but guess that would help,

I have my Higher National BTEC Diploma in Design

Wraith  thank you for a job well done. I encourage Archaed to take it up. I  appreciate how solid he is and think he would take care of things very well.

I would be willing to update the community map, Iv'e worked with many game building engines so in comparison I'm sure it wont be hard to do ;),

just drop me a forum pm if your interested ^^ 

~thank you for your commitment to the community

I read all the post and check other maps and Im thinking about doing a more detailed map (more zoom). So it could look more liek google maps and not as colorfull as dump map. Many deeds and raods are small and close to each other and without ingame coords it is sometimes hard to find a spot. I Can try to make a big new map as a base for adding all the deeds. Then we coould use ggogle mpas api to add all the info. Might be easier to do then adding in paint. What you guys think?

I read all the post and check other maps and Im thinking about doing a more detailed map (more zoom). So it could look more liek google maps and not as colorfull as dump map. Many deeds and raods are small and close to each other and without ingame coords it is sometimes hard to find a spot. I Can try to make a big new map as a base for adding all the deeds. Then we coould use ggogle mpas api to add all the info. Might be easier to do then adding in paint. What you guys think?

please dont.

paint?

i've taken over the celi map and was told about GIMP a free photoshop type program.  it's easy to use for updating the maps too.  but not sure if you'd need to start the whole map over. or if it would load the indi map with the layers easy?  thought i'd mention the program