Sign in to follow this  
Japiker

Draggable Raft To Transport Animals

It would be nice when it will be possible to put any animal on raft and drag it behind a boat. It should slow speed of sailing but now will be possible to transport deer or unicorn anywhere!

I am not sure if the raft would be the best option but we do need a way to transport animals over water so the players on islands can have access to them. I know you might not be able to get them across server still and i understand that but we still need a way to transport animals that don't swim. 

IMO, just allow us to load them onto boats, but all creatures take up 3 player slots on the boat.

I strongly affirm this point. This concept has reared its head across the forums on numerous occasions, with different variations & different reasons; but the point still stands - it's a must have to implement ASAP.

The only reason I have desired this so much for so long (& disregarding the bridges) is because I want to keep our little camp "unknown" with the animals we need. As you rightly know by now, barely anybody likes to talk about where they live most of the time, so building bridges to your own island is not going to help things out. (On a PVP server that is)

Besides, say a Champ Hell Horse spawned on an island - I'd have to build a huge arse bridge just to get it ? :(

Before any ideas can be made, most people seem to look at how to "balance" it, or make it look cool / useable. The only notion worth mentioning was the prevention of animals to enter other servers to avoid population / ratio messing up. I personally don't give a flippety whoop whop about populations as it's more immersive if I can traverse animals across servers, but what's crucial is looking at it from the Dev's perspective - which is why I pointed this out.

However, as I said, the main way I'm tackling this is how it looks from a dev's perspective. If we suggested the idea of just plugging animals on ships, say through the "Lead -> " quote, how hard / easy would it be to do ? I'm reckoing quite hard with lots of re-working solid foundations, otherwise it'd've be done by now. I don't know to be quite frank. I'm not a developer of any magnitude, & .. I don't even know how the Wurm Online suggestions thread / implementation process works.. so I could be going backwards here. (Just passionate about this ! xD)

So, in summary, I can see 2 approaches to this to make it something that can be done relatively quickly, & easily.

1) Cages.

2) Specialized boats.

1) Cages. Simply build yourself a Trailer. Whether it's a crate on the floor that can be "Loaded" into a Large Cart when the 2 are adjacent, or a whole new model for the cart called a Trailer - which should lessen the load from the dev's perspective (at quite a useful means to keep tamed (now untamed) beasts confined for a short period of time whilst moving / setting up pens x3). Then you can ride it to a boat, generally a Corbita or larger, and load it. This part is most likely the hardest part, & I can kinda understand why. But if this last part was ironed out or made easier, it'd be great!

2) Having a boat dedicated to the ferrying of animals/monsters exclusively allows the dev's to prevent server-wide messing up of populations. The boat simply can't leave servers like other things that already can't transfer to other servers (these example elude me at this moment in time). This works really well since I, as a dev, can take the template of a previous boat design (in functionality, not art) & simply edit the core details to implement it in the game with various balancing ideas, & then add the strand of coding (without worrying about how it'll react to already stable foundations) to "Lead -> Right-click -> Board [insert Monster/Animal here] " - cargo on board! (with whatever cap / balancing they / the community voices) This method I feel is quite convenient & easy to do with the prevention of risks :)

The Mount / Dismount procedure just follows as so: "Lead -> right-click -> Hitch(Load)" then to unload: "Right-click ship -> dismount all creatures" or " unload Champion Mountain Lion" for one command, with another command being "Unload Pig", etc. to which if the boat is within 'x' tiles from "shallow water" (i.e. traversable terrain by non-swimmers) it ejects them there. Otherwise it states unable to.

Or at the very least, have the ability to just "Hitch" animals to a large boat using current game mechanics.. a limit per boat.. but knowing that when you hitch it, it's not following you, it's "in the boat" as it were, so doesn't "swim" ...

Seriously though - we desperately crave the ability to transport our pets !!!! It sucks colonizing secluded islands (which many of us have evidently done) when we can't bring over Champion Pets & it also sucks that we can't nab some awesome animals/monsters elsewhere ! We want FERRIES ! This is not the same as bridges! Forget +1 for the idea, +∞ ! This idea has been around since waaay back & people keep +1'ing it to no avail.

~Warmest Regards,

Encrtia.

Edited by Encrtia
  • Like 1

I strongly affirm this point. This concept has reared its head across the forums on numerous occasions, with different variations & different reasons; but the point still stands - it's a must have to implement ASAP.

The only reason I have desired this so much for so long (& disregarding the bridges) is because I want to keep our little camp "unknown" with the animals we need. As you rightly know by now, barely anybody likes to talk about where they live most of the time, so building bridges to your own island is not going to help things out. (On a PVP server that is)

Besides, say a Champ Hell Horse spawned on an island - I'd have to build a huge arse bridge just to get it ? :(

Before any ideas can be made, most people seem to look at how to "balance" it, or make it look cool / useable. The only notion worth mentioning was the prevention of animals to enter other servers to avoid population / ratio messing up. I personally don't give a flippety whoop whop about populations as it's more immersive if I can traverse animals across servers, but what's crucial is looking at it from the Dev's perspective - which is why I pointed this out.

However, as I said, the main way I'm tackling this is how it looks from a dev's perspective. If we suggested the idea of just plugging animals on ships, say through the "Lead -> " quote, how hard / easy would it be to do ? I'm reckoing quite hard with lots of re-working solid foundations, otherwise it'd've be done by now. I don't know to be quite frank. I'm not a developer of any magnitude, & .. I don't even know how the Wurm Online suggestions thread / implementation process works.. so I could be going backwards here. (Just passionate about this ! xD)

So, in summary, I can see 2 approaches to this to make it something that can be done relatively quickly, & easily.

1) Cages.

2) Specialized boats.

1) Cages. Simply build yourself a Trailer. Whether it's a crate on the floor that can be "Loaded" into a Large Cart when the 2 are adjacent, or a whole new model for the cart called a Trailer - which should lessen the load from the dev's perspective (at quite a useful means to keep tamed (now untamed) beasts confined for a short period of time whilst moving / setting up pens x3). Then you can ride it to a boat, generally a Corbita or larger, and load it. This part is most likely the hardest part, & I can kinda understand why. But if this last part was ironed out or made easier, it'd be great!

2) Having a boat dedicated to the ferrying of animals/monsters exclusively allows the dev's to prevent server-wide messing up of populations. The boat simply can't leave servers like other things that already can't transfer to other servers (these example elude me at this moment in time). This works really well since I, as a dev, can take the template of a previous boat design (in functionality, not art) & simply edit the core details to implement it in the game with various balancing ideas, & then add the strand of coding (without worrying about how it'll react to already stable foundations) to "Lead -> Right-click -> Board [insert Monster/Animal here] " - cargo on board! (with whatever cap / balancing they / the community voices) This method I feel is quite convenient & easy to do with the prevention of risks :)

The Mount / Dismount procedure just follows as so: "Lead -> right-click -> Hitch(Load)" then to unload: "Right-click ship -> dismount all creatures" or " unload Champion Mountain Lion" for one command, with another command being "Unload Pig", etc. to which if the boat is within 'x' tiles from "shallow water" (i.e. traversable terrain by non-swimmers) it ejects them there. Otherwise it states unable to.

Or at the very least, have the ability to just "Hitch" animals to a large boat using current game mechanics.. a limit per boat.. but knowing that when you hitch it, it's not following you, it's "in the boat" as it were, so doesn't "swim" ...

Seriously though - we desperately crave the ability to transport our pets !!!! It sucks colonizing secluded islands (which many of us have evidently done) when we can't bring over Champion Pets & it also sucks that we can't nab some awesome animals/monsters elsewhere ! We want FERRIES ! This is not the same as bridges! Forget +1 for the idea, +∞ ! This idea has been around since waaay back & people keep +1'ing it to no avail.

~Warmest Regards,

Encrtia.

I'd say you are a genius xP

The ship idea works best lol imo. That's simply because when I think of a "cage" it's usually a bird cage or cat cage lol and not a horse pen <.<. The ship would need to be fairly big for larger animals, maybe 2 types of Ferries for this idea. A smaller ferry that anyone can use, and a larger ferry that requires say 22.5 mind logic. That way it's able to be fairly large in design. 

Totally agreed.

To be honest, I read the cage idea & thought it sounded plausible (though not as much as a new ship) but then when thinking how to implement it, I hardly see myself creating a cage then carrying it on my back to a boat lol

I s'ppose it's possible, but it'll be as heavy as a mine door or something.. I just have no idea if we're going to be able to carry Champion Mountain Lions on our backs in a cage haha they're Huge! So I started thinking how it would really work...

Could have a "Body Strength" restriction to what animals in cages you can carry (makes all the P2P players so happy when we add restrictions to F2p x3 including the dev's lol), but I'm not really fussed about the details, just whether it's practical from a dev's perspective. And the cage system still leaves the problem that I can sail to other servers with them in the boat, so would require effort there methinks.

Edited by Encrtia