Sign in to follow this  
leguvan

Mail System Changes

I've recently been asked to send an item to some one on a different server C.O.D. Which, I did. The receiver has since then ignored any contact via PM on the forums and has not accepted the item. I submitted a support ticket to find out the options that I have. There are none. If the item is not accepted it will get destroyed.

To clarify some mail system mechanics.

Same Server - Non-acceptance - Item will be returned to the sender after two weeks. The sender must pay the shipping fee to get the item back.

Cross Server - Non-acceptance - Item is destroyed.

The mechanic for same server returning of the item is acceptable. You send an item, they don't want it for what ever reason, it gets returned to you, you need to pay for shipping it.

However, for cross server, the item being destroyed is not acceptable.

The example I used. Rolf sends me a Wurm T-Shirt outside of Sweden. When the delivery person comes I am not at home and I never go to the post office to pick it up. Instead of the post office returning the shirt to Rolf, they throw it away. Rolf loses the value of the shirt.

The main issue I have with this is, that the contact I have had with Wurm staff have all said this is okay and works like it is supposed to. Well, this means that I can create an alt, run through the tutorial, go to which ever server I want, then start having people from WTS and Merchant Ad threads start sending me items C.O.D and never accept them just to make them lose time and items.

In the dialog box of the mailing system, it says "Use mailboxes with caution and inexpensive items until you rely on the spirits. They are still learning and take no responsibility for lost items." Which is fine, if the item was lost due to some kind of server mishap, but it's not. The item is going to be lost because a player requested the item, it is sitting in their mailbox, but refuse to accept it.

The same dialog box says, "Note that sending C.O.D with an intent to scam other players is a bannable offense." There is no mention about requesting C.O.D. and not accepting with intent to scam sender being bannable. So, there is no seller protection.

I suggest stop using the C.O.D. system for cross server sending until the Dev Team decides that this should be fixed and have a proper return feature.

Edited by leguvan
  • Like 12

I've recently been asked to send an item to some one on a different server C.O.D. Which, I did. The receiver has since then ignored any contact via PM on the forums and has not accepted the item. I submitted a support ticket to find out the options that I have. There are none. If the item is not accepted it will get destroyed.

To clarify some mail system mechanics.

Same Server - Non-acceptance - Item will be returned to the sender after two weeks. The sender must pay the shipping fee to get the item back.

Cross Server - Non-acceptance - Item is destroyed.

The mechanic for same server returning of the item is acceptable. You send an item, they don't want it for what ever reason, it gets returned to you, you need to pay for shipping it.

However, for cross server, the item being destroyed is not acceptable.

The example I used. Rolf sends me a Wurm T-Shirt outside of Sweden. When the delivery person comes I am not at home and I never go to the post office to pick it up. Instead of the post office returning the shirt to Rolf, they throw it away. Rolf loses the value of the shirt.

The main issue I have with this is, that the contact I have had with Wurm staff have all said this is okay and works like it is supposed to. Well, this means that I can create an alt, run through the tutorial, go to which ever server I want, then start having people from WTS and Merchant Ad threads start sending me items C.O.D and never accept them just to make them lose time and items.

In the dialog box of the mailing system, it says "Use mailboxes with caution and inexpensive items until you rely on the spirits. They are still learning and take no responsibility for lost items." Which is fine, if the item was lost due to some kind of server mishap, but it's not. The item is going to be lost because a player requested the item, it is sitting in their mailbox, but refuse to accept it.

The same dialog box says, "Note that sending C.O.D with an intent to scam other players is a bannable offense." There is no mention about requesting C.O.D. and not accepting with intent to scam sender being bannable. So, there is no seller protection.

I suggest stop using the C.O.D. system for cross server sending until the Dev Team decides that this should be fixed and have a proper return feature.

This is why I only C.O.D cross server IF I'm able to replace the item/s easily, or if I know the player and have seen them stick to their word and be reliable/trustworthy

last time i saw a post like this. it was our awsome guys from the factional fight.   one sent a very valueable item cross server.  it didn't get picked up or returned. they later found out cus the guy's account was banned. i forget why but a perma ban i think. so the valuable item was last for good.   not fair of course. but since then I and i think others are very careful sending cross server.

what i think would be a fair way to get items back cross server wise. would to have the sender have to sail over to said server and check mail there and get it there. 

or option 2. annoying but possible.  put an alt on each server. by a mail box , near a market.  and COD from home to that alt. then send from alt to the players on that server. this way your' safer. costing you 10c extra. or 20c i forget.  hmm  i have an alt on all but exo. i think i'll do this idea today.

Yea. I would agree that if the item is returned or not accepted that you have to go to a spirit house on that specific server to pick up would be a good way to handle it.

I'm sure I'm feeling the same way the FF guy did. I am being punished for some one else not holding up their end of the deal.

And this is one of many reasons why Wurm trade is all about doing business with people you trust, people who have good reputations, rather than just with the first random stranger to offer you a high price for something.

It takes time to work out who is who in Wurm, but that's fine because no one who can't afford to lose it is likely to have anything of significant real value early in their Wurm life anyway.  A lucky supreme item maybe, but that's a very unusual exception.

That said - it is madness and should be changed to work same within or across servers.

• Like 1

If all else fails. Some sort of rep adon for the forums as you do on ebay could help reduce the items being lost.

A rep meter type of thing can help in some ways, but with a free to play system it's almost worthless. The offender can just make another character like nothing every happened.

Aye unfortunately this has happened before a number of times. Even when not a scam or intentional.

I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement, especially for cross server mail; however, if unclaimed items would return to sender (minus cod), it would be awesome.

EDIT: havent mailed in some time, is there a warning dialog now before sending?

Edited by Klaa

A rep meter type of thing can help in some ways, but with a free to play system it's almost worthless. The offender can just make another character like nothing every happened.

I don't really think we need to hold everyones hand 24/7. systems to help people know if they are making bad choices/risky choices should be enough.

Anyway I only suggested that because it may be easier for them than fixing the mailing system. Anything is better than nothing at all. I'm for your suggestion though. No reason why it should not be returned.

Edited by AlexLong

I had forgotten about some tools that I gave to someone to imp and they were suppose to cod them to me. I had to quit wurm last year due to irl things and forgot about them being in the mail; instead of the items being returned to the sender like you suggest, the system ate my tools unfortunately. I would like it to where it would return automatically after the time went up; course they would have to pay the 20c or w/e it is. +1

request part payment before sending the item. that is they pay for half and cod the other half on receipt.

Edited by Saddist

This is a well and truly broken thing that really needs fixing.

Don't design some Rube Goldberg way to try to make players responsible for the failures of the code.

Either disallow cross server mail (again?) or allow unaccepted items to revert to sender.

The latter would be best.  If you can move an entire character and their inventory and boats with their inventory from server to server, there's zero possible credible excuse that you can't do the same with mail.

Needs fixing, I remember doing some trades via mail that I wouldn't have done had I known this was how it worked.

+1 for a fix, design is terrible

Edited by Elen

Yeh, I declined an item that was sent to me via COD cross-server, before I knew about this, as the seller sent the wrong item. While the item was only worth 1-2s, it was still pretty annoying.

I don't really think we need to hold everyones hand 24/7. systems to help people know if they are making bad choices/risky choices should be enough.

Anyway I only suggested that because it may be easier for them than fixing the mailing system. Anything is better than nothing at all. I'm for your suggestion though. No reason why it should not be returned.

I'm not talking about holding any ones hand. This is a system that does not function the way it should. Why would you have one half of the mail system work properly but code the other have to not mimic the first?

Also, about the rep meter thing. There is a part of users profiles where you can post to their profile feed. I do not know if they can be deleted by the user though. So, this could be useful for that purpose unless they can be deleted.

Yeh, I declined an item that was sent to me via COD cross-server, before I knew about this, as the seller sent the wrong item. While the item was only worth 1-2s, it was still pretty annoying.

The return to sender function works cross server. The sender just has to pay the 10c per item to retrieve them, which is fine in my opinion.

mailed once drake

was so scared :x

It should be risk free if we got such a system in game.

Yeah I agree it is poor functionality but I also suspect that last time we checked, a majority rather saw it work cross server at all than be disabled.

Anyways I've looked into it and might have figured out a way to make it work more properly.

Also, I wouldn't call this an exploit really, rather a flaw ;)

• Like 1

Time to push my luck, while your at it Rolf can we add all objects to the mailable list ?

I think some of the items could be moved but not all. Especially when it's not cost effective to send ore or rock shards anyway. I believe that the original reason they were added to a no send list was because of the size of the item. Maybe add an over size charge of 5c to be able to send larger items.

Edited by leguvan