Sign in to follow this  
Madaras

A Role-Playing Server/rp Stores

-RP Server

Hello peeps, I bring this up because I'm new to the game and one thing I was hoping to find is a good RP server where the players are moderate to hard core roleplayers, the first thread I found on here about this is "Freedom Roleplaying Server" now archived. I don't agree that there needs to be policing or players voting people off. I just think that a server should be made and clearly designated RP server, if a player comes in and is disruptive of the experience there should be a feature in place to report them with a screenshot clearly showing the players offense. Which would ban that player from that server. I think this is a pretty simple idea and a potentially very enjoyable one for the RP community. Personally I find the variety of jobs a person can take begs people to come and enjoy a great RP experience.

- Stores

Since I am new I'm not sure how the store system works. If I become a blacksmith am I able to set up a shop that players can access and do I need to remain there to have the shop open? If creating shops requires a player to stay in his shop then I would also like to recommend hiring employees. Where you would have to purchase or find materials and your employees can create items and sell them from your shop, this could be offline PCs or hired NPCs. For the role playing experience having part of your character's story working a part time job would be very nice in my opinion.

Edited by Madaras

I'd very much like an RP-server for Wurm, but sadly new servers are the last thing Wurm needs I fear. And, at least on Epic where I play, the RP-community is so small, it's practically non-existant.

You can setup a merchant that sells your goods to other players. A merchant contract costs 10 silver, sometimes players offering one as well, usually for 7 silvers.

A Roleplaying server would be very possible, but very unneeded due to the fact there are already enough servers out there. If you'd be interested in Roleplaying that might be a hard one, but I know of many people on the Deli server, including me, who love to Roleplay every now and then. The grind to the game is part of why people don't Roleplay everything, but short stories could be called for... Saying you have a high enough character to deal with the long timers, annoying baddies, or any other problems. 

Contact me if your interested or have access to Deli, I will not leave cross server due to my deed but I'll stay anywhere on server.

@Stores

Merchants are the default NPC we generally use, you can buy a contact from a trader and make a market stall with some materials. If you wanted to, you could put a merchant add up on the forums and people can message you offers... Whatever you need. :)

Heh as much as I think that RP does have its potential in wurm, I rarely see it.  I do RP ocassinally with the new players who don't know any better but other than that most don't bother.   

As for shops you can already purchase a merchant contract from a trader, although I've made suggestions in the past for shop counters you can place in buildings as well.   I've played on RP servers in Freelancer, FOM, San Andreas MP, etc and its allways fun, its just not easy here.   

I don't agree that there needs to be policing or players voting people off. I just think that a server should be made and clearly designated RP server, if a player comes in and is disruptive of the experience there should be a feature in place to report them with a screenshot clearly showing the players offense. Which would ban that player from that server

Setting aside the issue of adding a new server just for such a specific sub-group who can simply RP on existing servers... There's no way to have enforced RP without enforcement, and therefore enforcers. The moderation time required would be huge - how do you define whether someone is breaking RP? It immediately becomes a thousand shades of grey.

As for stores, the merchant mechanics in-game require only the NPC, so that part is kinda redundant :)

Setting aside the issue of adding a new server just for such a specific sub-group who can simply RP on existing servers... There's no way to have enforced RP without enforcement, and therefore enforcers. The moderation time required would be huge - how do you define whether someone is breaking RP? It immediately becomes a thousand shades of grey.

As for stores, the merchant mechanics in-game require only the NPC, so that part is kinda redundant :)

As I said I don't believe there would be a need for policing. It would be more an honor code thing. People who find RPing to be annoying wouldn't want to play in a world full of people who are RPing, the opposite is also true.  It's really an odd thing I find in MMORPGs. That in most of them people don't RP and those that would like to have a hard time being able to because they have to play with the majority. In this respect it's like Gay Media. (meaning no offense to any parties hetero homo or bi) it's hard to find good quality gay films because the homosexual community is a small one. Also it's hard to find normal gay relationships in your average media. (though it seems this is slowly being phased in) For RPers we may be a small group, but what really helps is if we have a norm. I'll point to an MMORPG that once had an RP server DDO. The RP server was thalanis, though when it became Free-to-play it became flooded with new users who didn't treat it as an RP server, so the RP community died to where now it's difficult to even find an RP guild that RPs anymore. Which shows how a once popular and thriving community can die because of peoples reckless behavior breaking immersion normally without intention. DDO didn't call Thalanis and RP server, but the DDO community understood it to be,  so there is no way new users would know chances are they saw it had the lowest number of members and went in there because of it. Where in the past in DDO the players would initiate new members with the flood there was hardly enough mentors to help people to either become RPers or change servers. Well I rant, bottom line is without a cooperating community it is difficult to even establish a small space to RP in. Gosh I can still remember when I played DDO like it was a table top game. We wouldn't rush through the dungeons knowing their every nook and cranny and deciding what spells worked best on what. We took our time and communicated in character and though it took much longer to get through a dungeon it became an experience. People who don't RP don't understand that.

Edited by Madaras

Personally I think an RP server is a bad idea for a few reasons

1) Splitting the community

We don't need to further divide the few people we have in this niche game

2) RP on RP servers is terrible

This comes down to the fact that the vast majority of people think RP means writing a long and generic backstory and then... giving up because all there is, is a few people with long generic backstories.

I'm not against Role playing in video games, but it tends to boil down to self insert fiction when people are meant to be playing a game.

And some people get far too stuffy and try to enforce harsh rules about what you can and can't do when they have no real authority, which just ends up with resentment and boredom which is the major killer of RP.

The way role playing should happen is naturally over time and through the decisions you make and how you interact with others, not through essays.

/rant

That being said, aren't we all role playing just by playing the game and following whatever path we choose to follow? 

• Like 1

That being said, aren't we all role playing just by playing the game and following whatever path we choose to follow? 

True, that could be stated by calling wurm a sort-of-RPG kinda game in the aspect that we ARE playing out a story of our own. 

Generally in a roleplaying community though, we prefer to immerse ourselfs deeper within the game then a simple storyline or freedom of choice can offer you in the first place. Making it more strict is a expectation of the community, keeping people from breaking that immersion we find simply from delving deeper into long stories. Rules, or guidelines, are not set in stone... But are more to follow as instructions in a sense. People, as I do, enjoy writing long strands of text to explain ones feelings or ideas on a subject... Such brings up the option of RPing instead of simply 'RPGing'.

• Like 1

True, that could be stated by calling wurm a sort-of-RPG kinda game in the aspect that we ARE playing out a story of our own. 

Generally in a roleplaying community though, we prefer to immerse ourselfs deeper within the game then a simple storyline or freedom of choice can offer you in the first place. Making it more strict is a expectation of the community, keeping people from breaking that immersion we find simply from delving deeper into long stories. Rules, or guidelines, are not set in stone... But are more to follow as instructions in a sense. People, as I do, enjoy writing long strands of text to explain ones feelings or ideas on a subject... Such brings up the option of RPing instead of simply 'RPGing'.

I fully understand that.

It's collaborative story-telling which is great because it can go places that where never expected and become a great story that other people outside the community can read and enjoy, as an example the story of Boatmurdered from Dwarf Fortress.

I wasn't old enough to enjoy MUD's but I've been part of role playing communities since about a year or two into Ultima Online and on into all sorts of online games.

I'm just going to use a generalized example of my experience in RP over the years, I'm sure you've seen the same thing, where people will completely invent a fictional character in a game but without an ability to actually back that up with their actual avatar and experiences in the game.

The extreme examples being the Level 1 Master Swordsman and the King with a grand total of 3 followers.

This always felt really grating to me, when I felt the need to actually role play 'my' character and strive for 'my' goals in the game.

I'm a ranty sort of person and often stick my foot in my mouth, I don't mean to say that 'everyone else sucks at RP' even though that's basically what I said in my last post, but it feels like some are just using the wrong media to try and achieve what they want.

I prefer 'seeing' a story happen in game, rather than writing it myself but that's a personal preference. But at the same time I also enjoy reading what others have written here on the forums.

I guess it frustrates me because I try to be part of role play in game, but it tends to be dominated by lengthy prose and it makes me feel bogged down and as though where missing out on actually playing the game and getting into trouble where all the good stories are.

Excuse my word vomit, my posts always end up far longer than I intended.

End of rant.

Edited by Alden

I fully understand that.

I'm sure you've seen the same thing, where people will completely invent a fictional character in a game but without an ability to actually back that up with their actual avatar and experiences in the game.

The extreme examples being the Level 1 Master Swordsman and the King with a grand total of 3 followers.

This always felt really grating to me, when I felt the need to actually role play 'my' character and strive for 'my' goals in the game.

I'm a ranty sort of person and often stick my foot in my mouth, I don't mean to say that 'everyone else sucks at RP' even though that's basically what I said in my last post, but it feels like some are just using the wrong media to try and achieve what they want.

I prefer 'seeing' a story happen in game, rather than writing it myself but that's a personal preference. But at the same time I also enjoy reading what others have written here on the forums.

I guess it frustrates me because I try to be part of role play in game, but it tends to be dominated by lengthy prose and it makes me feel bogged down and as though where missing out on actually playing the game and getting into trouble where all the good stories are.

I know exactly where you're coming from, and it's sad when people make unrealistic examples of themselves. When someone would make a boast like "and I have lain the demon of that land and was herald as a hero! Now I'm come here to seek further glory in battle!" it is those cases where I would like to PVP saying "You make a large boast, but you look like no hero to me! I challenge you to a duel, if you can defeat a demon surely a humble blacksmith such as I would have no chance against a mighty hero such as your self" I never fell the need for lengthy dialog. If I were in battle and running I'd and came across someone I would quickly say "Beware the giant spider, it pursues me" or some such line. Or in a humble setting in a store I would request from the clerk an item that I seek and hopefully they'd have it in stock. Or if I were a store clerk selling fish I may ask the passer by "Would you care to buy some fish freshly caught this morning! Best in all of *insert city name*" I wouldn't tell them about my sick elderly mother or how my brother died by a bear or of the person I'm currently interested in for marriage, unless in idle chat he would ask about my family and if I felt I liked them well enough to delve into such personal details.

I know exactly where you're coming from, and it's sad when people make unrealistic examples of themselves. When someone would make a boast like "and I have lain the demon of that land and was herald as a hero! Now I'm come here to seek further glory in battle!" it is those cases where I would like to PVP saying "You make a large boast, but you look like no hero to me! I challenge you to a duel, if you can defeat a demon surely a humble blacksmith such as I would have no chance against a mighty hero such as your self" I never fell the need for lengthy dialog. If I were in battle and running I'd and came across someone I would quickly say "Beware the giant spider, it pursues me" or some such line. Or in a humble setting in a store I would request from the clerk an item that I seek and hopefully they'd have it in stock. Or if I were a store clerk selling fish I may ask the passer by "Would you care to buy some fish freshly caught this morning! Best in all of *insert city name*" I wouldn't tell them about my sick elderly mother or how my brother died by a bear or of the person I'm currently interested in for marriage, unless in idle chat he would ask about my family and if I felt I liked them well enough to delve into such personal details.

Thats the kind of small RP that we do on our deed.

I got the habit of WH40King every game I play. And being JK makes me RP everything like I'm part of the Imperium, MR are Xenos civilizations and that BL are chaos(and yes I could RP it like wh fantasy, but fantasy sux IMO)

So we have our little RP going on.

Our mayor is way older than me, and he too likes to RPing, I always joke about why he is out of the dreadnought. We do the same every time we are hauling goods from one camp to town, or if we are hunting, harvesting sprouts/cedar/oak.

It's  a light type of RP I know, but we don't need to /me everything and that kind of harcore RPing or needed special freatures.

This is my bind for calling the guards by the way:

bind Numpad4 "say Hear me imperial guards! For the glory of the Emperor, CHARGE!!!"

We got our little RP going with no need of fancy servers or stuff.

So -1 to the OP.

The safeword is "rabid Emu".

You already did that joke :(

You need a much higher amount of moderation on a RP server.
Maybe one day, need more people playing first though....

You already did that joke :(

I did? :huh:

Thought I was combining two old ones: safeword in roleplay and Emoo going rabid.

EDIT: Far as MUDS go, afaik theres still ones operating, especially the rp-enforced ones. Though, they were always kind of a niche audience even among MUDs. Mushclient is the best client fyi.

Edited by Klaa