Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 46

LSSN_W46_2.jpg

Hello Fellow Wurmians!

So after a week with allot of things going on, it is about time to Share some News!

The poll had an amazing participation and after the initial fog of war settled, some truly insightful and interesting debate ensued.

As the topic was mostly concerning and affecting Pristine and Release servers, we are obviously inclined to weigh their arguments a bit heavier in this case.

So seeing there are still very valid and well voiced concerns about this merge, we see reason enough to hold of once more.

The real verdict on this will have to wait until an in game voting system is in place and we are able to better address the concerns.

One thing is for sure though, there where some really great ideas brought up in this debate and we are going to be looking into some new things thanks to this.

This will be brought up later when we have given it some more thought.

I sincerely thank all of you who have participated for you time and effort!

Bridges Update.

Wooden Bridge WIP. Click Images for larger Versions.

WoodBridge1s.jpg

WoodBridge2s.jpg

And for anyone who missed Saromans earlier Update. Rope Bridges!

RopeBridge2_01.jpg

RopeBridge1_01.jpg

You can discuss the rope bridges in THIS THREAD.

Disclaimer, these models are being worked on and tested. They might be changed before implementation.

Functionality for bridges where the ends are not level is being developed. In other words, bridges that are sloping.

Art

Firstly I would like to note that we have started work optimizing some of the older models for a better overall performance.

• New snow, snow marsh and snow mycelium textures.

Sound

We are getting some new and updated sound effects, so here are some examples:

• Updated crocodile combat sound
  • Updated troll combat sound
  • Added troll death sound
  • Updated male combat sound
  • Added male death sound

A New and Creative part of the forum is born!

This is something that has been requested in the past and pushed for by me personally and DocterChese. Thanks to Jberg we now have it.

So I am very happy to announce The creative commons!

A place where you will be able to share and discuss arts, crafts, music, stories, poetry, video and anything creative you can come up with.

There might be more categories added later, but just start sharing, we are exited to see what you are up to!

The chat rules are being updated

To better fit with the recently updated code of conduct and to be easier to interpret for everyone involved.

You will soon be updated in more detail.

That is all for now, so what was that thing you where supposed to do? Oh yeah,

Keep on Wurming!

• Like 29

I really like the underwater support on the larger bridge, well planned =)

• Like 1

LOL Johan, the first thing I want to comment is the last line :P ...

Yay to Johan, DrCheese, and JBerg for the creative commons (the name reminds me of dat creative commons license..), let's fill them all!

+1 for in game voting system, hopefully they can be set for certain servers only too. That can be useful on many things. On second note, these voting thing can be something like tutorial icon or better I think, in case people wants to vote later.

The bridges looks awesome, I wanna try it on test server ;3 ...

Ohh snow mycellium! More brown less white! ;)

@Silakka: I think that support is our premise of having long bridge.. plus solve problem of IF part of the bridge fall apart... as then it will be less looking like floating bridges :P .

Edited by rosedragon

I'm looking forward to the future of this game. We keep on wurming, you keep on doing your stuff^^

pls dont screw up people on celebration by adding pristine and release next to inde or deli

• Like 1

Bridges coming along nicely!  Hopefully they are updated next month (if possible).  I am currently constructing an island with a Colosseum in Crystal Lake and a bridge is much needed to "bridge" the gap for those who can't sail!

About bridges, will it be possible to make multiple side by side to make 1 wide bridge??

Edit: Also is that support going to affect say a boat sailing into it or will the boat just go right through?

Edited by Shadz

pls dont screw up people on celebration by adding pristine and release next to inde or deli

People live on Celebration?

Also, Bridges are looking awesome.

Edited by Pollo

+1000 for bridges and other changes!

-1 for not following the result of the poll :(  (I'm astounded - for me the result seemed unambiguous...)

Double wide bridges will be possible also, and ideally the supports will have collision. Shouldn't be much of a problem.

• Like 6

This is AWESOME!!! Looking forwarding to building one next to my deed!

+1000 for bridges and other changes!

-1 for not following the result of the poll :(  (I'm astounded - for me the result seemed unambiguous...)

We have to take opinions into serious consideration as we knew from the start that the small cluster of P and R would be in severe minority when only counting votes.

• Like 3

We have to take opinions into serious consideration as we knew from the start that the small cluster of P and R would be in severe minority when only counting votes.

Personally I cannot see any *real* reason why to not connect them, players on both sides are affected. Some people on the old cluster don't want them connected, I can only see the merge benefiting the newer servers.

Do we know yet what kind of collision mechanics are in place for those traveling under / through a bridge? Boats I mean, mostly. 

RedBaron_Johan, I am quite impressed that the Wurm staff made their decision concerning the P&R merge on the basis of the content of the responses within the poll rather than the # results. This shows that the staff values player opinions and takes them into serious consideration when initiating certain policies and decision making choices. I will point out that I stated that I was neither for nor against the merger but rather for considering the responses made and not a # count, so either way I am personally satisfied with the end decision based upon a reasoned response. 

This was also shown in the recent response and handling of the DDOS attacks wherein Rolf kept the playerbase informed of the status of the problem, what efforts were being put forth to resolve the matter and the reasonable compensation given as shown value of the playerbase. It all points out to me that Rolf is benefiting well from the recently enhanced Staff hiring's and those in PR positions and you are all working well in meshing together to cover aspects of the game that were previously neglected or overlooked.

With this in mind the future of Wurm looks brighter than ever before, whereas in the past I was not this optimistic. I sense that the undercurrent of stagnation has lifted to reveal a surprisingly bright sky that once overshadowed the subtle colors that were hidden beneath. My glowing testimony here does not imply that there will be no bumps in the road in the future nor player discontent for various reasons but it is how Rolf and the Staff respond to and overcome these issues which will determine the success and progress of the game. The new trend has shown me that these issues are handled in a much more positive and progressive manner with a concern expressed for the playerbase that is well expressed in the actions taken.

By the way, I grumble under my breath over certain aspects of the game that I find frustrating, so I do not mean here to imply that I am perfectly satisfied with all aspects of it. Still, I think it is best to give credit where I see it is due, thus I could not refrain from the positive statements above, heh.

As for your phrase, "Keep on Wurming". I wonder if you are aware that R. Crumb in the late 60's within the Zap comic books had a popular section called "Keep on Truckin" and was the originator of this much now borrowed phrase sometimes re-phrased for various uses. Sort of cool for Wurm application as well I suppose.....

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes

Maybe you could just explain why you think the old Wurm players have no say in this matter, and why you even made the poll in the first place then.

Please remember that Pristine/Release would have failed completely if there had been no old players starting on alt accounts to teach and help the new players.

Not sure why you listened to the fear mongers talking about old players coming over to ###### their lands, but ignoring valid arguments that this split is dividing the community, which is a terrible thing.

• Like 3

Oooh Very interresting ! I cant wait to build my first bridge haha  :ph34r:

I would like to see what arguments were taken into consideration for puting off the connection; as to me, I saw no real valid responses. Just more of a boogieman scenario where all the old players would rush over to destroy the economy and lands... When in reality, a lot of the economy there is actually already in the hands of old players on alts :P

• Like 3

I'm still puzzled. How could you possibly know how many of the voters / posters were P+R players? Take my vote for example: Yaga is my main character on Deli, but - as you probably know - I'm also involved in running the Wurm Academy on Pristine. So my vote should be counted as a "P+R vote" - maybe it was my fault that I just voted (trusting in democracy) and not joined the people additionally posting their opinion. :(

I'm still explicitly pro joining the freedom servers for a number of reasons!

Edited by Yaga

Excellent work Wurm Staff!

Giving weight to those who actually live there is greatly appreciated and is as it should be. Glad to see also that when the time does come other options are being considered as I personally liked the buffer of another new server between the servers acting as the connector. That was a very well thought out and useful suggestion! Good luck on the in game voting addition where you can see the true numbers based on where the voting char actually resides! I can see this addition being very useful in not only this instance but also future changes that are proposed. 

Great artwork on the bridges. I cant wait to see them in game. Wish there had been some more news on the crafting upgrade that is live on test. Greatly looking forward to that implementation as well. 

Edited by Emane

Good luck on the in game voting addition where you can see the true numbers based on where the voting char actually resides! I can see this addition being very useful in not only this instance but also future changes that are proposed. 

You do realize F2P alts make what you're asking for very ineffective...

Just like forum alts were/are used when forum voting happens.

Maybe you could just explain why you think the old Wurm players have no say in this matter, and why you even made the poll in the first place then.

Please remember that Pristine/Release would have failed completely if there had been no old players starting on alt accounts to teach and help the new players.

Not sure why you listened to the fear mongers talking about old players coming over to ###### their lands, but ignoring valid arguments that this split is dividing the community, which is a terrible thing.

I read so much of the thread man, believe me and you and many other participants made very solid and intelligent arguments indeed. I have looked seriously at both sides of this and it is not fear that we are taking as winning arguments.

What we wanted was not a pure yes or no answer either, rather to bring everything to the surface and in doing so, find the best cause of action.

As the debate progressed, it felt quite clear to us that the time was still not right. This is still such a sensitive issue and we need to respect those which it directly affects.

We want the merge to feel natural and not forced.