Sign in to follow this  
Shadz

Enchanting. Broken Or Overly Random?

While the servers have been down I've been on the test server playing around with enchanting.

I had a gm make me a Vynora priest.

Skills

Soul - 70

Soul Depth - 70

Soul Strength - 70

Religion - 70

Channeling - 70

Prayer - 70

Preaching - 70

With little to no benefit from these skills casting woa/coc/nimbleness on a variety of tools at varying quality, I decided "I'll try out the enchant bonus" first off I got it to about 20 (pretty doable on the main servers) surprisingly, no difference.

After a few hours I though "to hell with it" and got the enchant bonus to (344.99295): 10%. Now, I'm still struggling to get an 50+ cast regularly, I've had 1x 90+ cast in the 3 days of server downtime, less than 10x 70+ casts and too many 0-50's to count.

So, anyone else got any idea at all what could possibly affect cast powers because I'm out of ideas.

Edit: My Vynora priest on independence (Tiki) has 90+ faith 56 channeling 32sd and is getting similar casts.

Edited by Shadz

Have you tried doing an attack spells? Like ice pillar, does it hurt more than 20-30SS/SD Priest? Maybe the enchantments are total random, but attack spells are really depending on your stats.

note that test servers are using epic formula ;)

since skill gain for channeling and soul depth are double, they might be nerfed.

Have you tried doing an attack spells? Like ice pillar, does it hurt more than 20-30SS/SD Priest? Maybe the enchantments are total random, but attack spells are really depending on your stats.

Just tried shard of ice on a goblin 5 times it hit, still only healthy

Edit: Same as when I use my Vyn priest on inde.

Edited by Shadz

Just tried shard of ice on a goblin 5 times it hit, still only healthy

Thats a known issue, doing more than two 2dmg wounds can be considerd lucky

Edit:Same goes for Fire Hearth

Edited by Sklo:D

my priest on chaos barely has 71 faith, 40 channeling does 4 out of 10 enchants being a 50 ish power. 

Tbh I think the test server is broken on purpose in respect of that to hinder us figuring out such formulas.

If you have time, please try with low channeling, like 35-40 and do CoC or WoA. 

I have a 70 channeling Vyn on Deli and a 50+ one on Serenity, my highest power enchants came when I had very low channeling. My Deli vyn casted a couple of 100+ enchants a year ago when he was low level. Never have I done it again after those 3-4 100+ casts and I have casted alot. The Serenity Vyn also got one early on. I have gotten the occational 90+ casts since but never over 100 again.

Either I had a really lucky start in my priest career or there is something fishy going on...  Haven't, really complained because I hardly shatter anything now, like I did back then and also it is very hard to prove anything since my skill is now too high.

Edited by Torgrim

With 43 channeling my vyn shattered even QL70 (fishing pole) maybe bad luck? - previously (with a bit lower channeling I shattered 2/10 QL50, but never (ok didn't have so many) higher QL stuff. And QL40-50 shatters seem to be higher as well. But I seem to get more low QL chants through (QL15-20).

It seems much more randomized and I don't like it - seems to make more sense to enchant at low QL and then imp, than vice versa...

I'd imagine it's 60% random 40% broken up into the various variables we can control (it's unlikely we even know what they all are, or if they work).

Wurmians will do anything possible to get the best results, grind day after day to win. Hence the only way for Rolf to ensure enchants are rare despite hardcore work is to hard code most of the algorithm to make it completely out of our control...Random 8)

It could even be something like we can affect the shatter rate (slightly) but not the chance of improving - or if we do, by what amount. Maybe only the initial cast. Some say it's better to dispel and recast, but tbh I've never noticed much difference.

Who knows. The fact that noone's come up with a definite answer is worrying, and hints towards a mostly random system I think.

Think about it, as everyone progresses it'd become as easy as it was before all the nerfs years ago. The amount of good enchants would only increase. The only way to prevent it is ensure there is ALWAYS a minimum failure rate

Edited by Derp

If you have time, please try with low channeling, like 35-40 and do CoC or WoA. 

I have a 70 channeling Vyn on Deli and a 50+ one on Serenity, my highest power enchants came when I had very low channeling. My Deli vyn casted a couple of 100+ enchants a year ago when he was low level. Never have I done it again after those 3-4 100+ casts and I have casted alot. The Serenity Vyn also got one early on. I have gotten the occational 90+ casts since but never over 100 again.

Either I had a really lucky start in my priest career or there is something fishy going on...  Haven't, really complained because I hardly shatter anything now, like I did back then and also it is very hard to prove anything since my skill is now too high.

When my priest had 35-40 channeling I had a 90+ cast since then I've had another 3 90+ casts, before and after the 90's I had low casts which are useless. I've had 0 decent casts on Test with low channeling :)

It's always been random. What you should do is keep track of the average cast power over a long time (although thats not possible when improving because you don't know the exact value if you fail to improve a cast). A good priest will have significantly higher average casts.

ok thanks Shadz.. I guess I will newer really know.. who knows what might have changed along the wa. I have a feeling enchanting was stealth nerfed some 1-1.5 years ago.

Not really complaining about it, wouldn't be good if we could spam 100+ items constantly either...

I guess, to get good items, what you have to do is sacc and cast like crazy and eventually you get that super cast :)

There's more factors to enchanting than are posted in the OP.

Some hints would be;

your statuette

your faith bonus

your deed enchanting bonus

food/water/nutrition

alignment

And there's probably a few more...

There's more factors to enchanting than are posted in the OP.

Some hints would be;

your statuette

your faith bonus

your deed enchanting bonus

food/water/nutrition

alignment

And there's probably a few more...

I was told about the faith bonus and statuette.

1) I didn't try any different statuette ql/type

2) At first I was at an 18ql gold altar then later imped it up to 65ql gold (no improvement in casting)

3) Deed enchant bonus is mentioned in first post

4) food/water/nutrition constantly full

5) Alignment was set to 20

I was told about the faith bonus and statuette.

1) I didn't try any different statuette ql/type

2) At first I was at an 18ql gold altar then later imped it up to 65ql gold (no improvement in casting)

3) Deed enchant bonus is mentioned in first post

4) food/water/nutrition constantly full

5) Alignment was set to 20

Alignment is a MASSIVE factor in enchanting. With only 20 in it, Im surprised you got anything higher than a 0 cast. :P

Alignment is a MASSIVE factor in enchanting. With only 20 in it, Im surprised you got anything higher than a 0 cast. :P

Bit hard to get that up while being attacked every 5 minutes lol :P

Both.

IMO, the whole system needs to be reworked. With high channeling and soul depth, you should be able to crap out high casts, and should hardly ever get low casts or fail. The randomness needs to be taken out, and skills need to make more of a difference.

• Like 1

I do agree sometimes random is the way to do it to get the good results more rare (higher casts, better quality etc.), but I personally do not like it and do not agree for such "luck" measures. Random number generation puts people into an uneven battlefield, in the long run theoretically you get a 50/50 chance, but at the same time you get a chance to be unlucky forever (it's low, but that's the way luck works or people win/loose lottery). In my opinion there should be no random nonsense in wurm at all. Make it harder to achieve, longer timers, require some hard to make items, higher quality, but please no stupid random numbers. There's a bunch of different ways to do it... The good stuff in game should be earned with hard work and dedication, not some lucky number you might never get in your life.

Alignment 20 is really crap, I agree Alyeska, I Think it's noticeable just going a few Points below 100. Low alignment makes you shatter a ton more things, not sure about cast strength...

Alignment 20 is really crap, I agree Alyeska, I Think it's noticeable just going a few Points below 100. Low alignment makes you shatter a ton more things, not sure about cast strength...

The alignment was crap yes, however with those skills regardless of alignment 70+ should be easy

I can definitely say statuette effects casting.

I failed 20-30 times and shattered everything in a row with 50 ish channeling and 23 sd, 1ql statuette.

Friend helped me out, told me try a higher ql... Imped it to 60, not a single shatter since then. If your having a lot of shatters, it's most likely the ql lol