Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

More On The Chaos Server Situation

There was lag all week prior to ddos and servers going down, several disconnects all over.

Exactly... Idk that i would have taken place in a raid under those conditions anyways... lol

This is the information I have:

The server went down during a heavy raid.

I have ordered my GMs to decide on the proper course of action.

There are a couple of alternatives

A) Rollback

B ) Let attackers return under the safety of PvP ban

C) Let attackers return under the safety of PvP ban and return corpses

D) Do nothing

I have been given a lot of contradicting information and have no possibility to sort it out as my main concern is and should be to ensure that the game comes online. If it doesn't, this discussion is pretty pointless anyways.

We will wait for feedback from the GMs who have to sort the situation out. If they do not come up with a ruling I will go for alternative D and just start the servers in its latest state.

Confused so servers when down from ddos attack, or from raiding! I think D would be the best choice!

I sure am glad I don't pvp. But if I did, I would absolutely make plans to attack when servers were unstable. Best time to catch someone off-guard. Laggy internet is like any other adverse condition that gets used in times of war. What attackers come storm a castle on a beautiful sunny day? Pfft! Do it when there is lightning and thunder, or a nice blanket of fog.

Getting killed and looted is the fun of pvp, isn't it?

As far as rollbacks go, I would prefer a rollback on every server to Friday before the worst of it hit.

• Like 1

The MR raid was a steamroll though. We faced no resistance at first, but later on a few (less than 10) JK arrived to defend the deed. They hopped us for 20 or so minutes, not managing to halt or damage the raid team to any extent... then they logged off a while before the DDOS attack, when the servers were functioning fine. When it did start to lag though, we were ordered to retreat.

Option A or D would turn a brief but well-coordinated surprise raid on JK territory into a bloodbath for both sides; the MR who are lucky enough to log in and escape before the area is secured and walled off by a horde of JK (who would not have been able to defend if there was no DDOS) will live, and everyone else will be easily picked off, one by one, as they log in. Even if there is proof that there was a sizable amount of JK moving onto our position while we were retreating (which in my opinion is far-fetched), choosing this option would be incredibly unfair.

Option B or C would give the opportunity for people of both sides to regain their bearings after the long down-time and for the MR to return safely home, which is what we were about to do before the DDOS. There would be no confused players logging into the middle of enemy territory ON THEIR OWN and easily cut down by a couple of JK that were not there when the server went down. I sincerely hope that the GMs make the right decision.

Edited by Achillea
  • Like 2

I was ready to play I cannot believ a raid crashed the server that is totally ludacris......................................................................................................................................................

Wasn't a raid, was a ddos.

There are also people there that was on their first ever visit to Chaos, they have no idea where "home" is in relation to where they are now.

can sombody of yuo tell me where the problem is now to to not the server online now?

i am not a pvp player and dont understand the problems here realy...

sorry

but when did the server come back and we can play normaly online?

sorry for my noobthinking here...

can sombody of yuo tell me where the problem is now to to not the server online now?

i am not a pvp player and dont understand the problems here realy...

sorry

but when did the server come back and we can play normaly online?

sorry for my noobthinking here...

They got the IP re-routed on the login server but when they booted all the servers backup extreme lag happened and no one could login correctly. So its all down again until Rolf resolves the lag issues.

Edited by AlexLong

ah ok but then only start serves behind step by step with break of 1-2 hours and then it must work or not?

hope we can play today night...

the other games i play are not funny.

i need wurm

Can i throw this out there, and think others are thinking it............... Did defenders DDOS wurm.... dun dun dun

(someone who knows computers please tell me its possible)

As make story even more exciting

Edited by Rushy
  • Like 1

I know it just blew your mind. It doesn't really fit in with the server lag last week, but just ignore that as ruins my theory 

Edited by Rushy

The only good thing I have read is that no one is really trying to push option A.  It is a legitimate option, but would set a very bad precendent I think.  Nor does it seem very PVP oriented, what has been done, is done.

At first I thought (and still do) option D seemed the most PVP sounding.  Let the battle begin.  However, MR has put forward very good arguments.  The fact is, there are so many Time Zones that are represented and what started out as a weekend for most of the participants has turned into a work week.  If anyone is not able to get out of enemy territory in the first hour or so ,then they are essentially dead.  With the weekend over, I would guess that will mean several players that probably would not have died, will do so now.

I am still not certain of Option C.  If a way could be done to just port all players and their bodies to their home city, without needing any PVP ban, that would seem best to me.  But, if that is too difficult to be done, then a 24hr option C seems to be only way out of what has been a terrible weekend.

Whatever is done, please make sure it is watched and lessons are learned, do not let this set any precedent.

• Like 3

Option E - Specify a time for starting the server and spawn everyone that logged in on friday (even people who weren't there) who have over 70 FS in one area and lets all duke it out...Yolo?

Sounds like a fun idea.

One of reason I was against A, is a server rollback affect whole population not just raiders.

Edited by Rushy

Can i throw this out there, and think others are thinking it............... Did defenders DDOS wurm.... dun dun dun

I was waiting for someone to bring this up, surprised it didn't happen until the 6th page.

Why would the defenders DDoS a server for over a week just in time to shutdown a surprise raid? :P

Doesn't make the story even remotely exciting.

Tbh, I thought the same when the servers started lagging. But I doubt JK would keep the servers down for so many days just to save their deed. It's just stupid. 

Now regarding what happened in The Damned. We had about 40 people in there, and Jenn Kellons managed to get 6-7 guys. I remember Gavin, Fsbkun, Ciray, Eruriku, Katatonia. We planed this raid very carefully and we comited many resources and hours on it. Had a lot of people cancel their Friday night out and we also had people in Vent that didnt sleep for two days waiting for the servers to get back in such a critical situation. All in all, a rollback is out of the question cause its not balancing things out for us.

I do not know who gave Rolf the contradicting information about the situation in the raid, but I would like that person to come say it in public if he dares. I think both sides agree that the raid was pretty much onesided. If the servers would stay up, we would have raided all the houses in the deed which would mean huge losses for JK as the writ owners of those houses were offline and noone had access to the houses.

We did a high risk raid, deep in JK lands, surprisingly close to the Jenn Kellon capital only because we anticipated the high earnings which we got. It wouldn't be fair to lose it all cause of the DDoS attacks. I vote let the attackers leave unharmed. I sure realize that it is a big loss to lose such valuable items but that's pvp servers, we all should anticipate such things to happen. Win like a man, lose like a man.

Edited by Issle
  • Like 1

I was waiting for someone to bring this up, surprised it didn't happen until the 6th page.

Why would the defenders DDoS a server for over a week just in time to shutdown a surprise raid? :P

Doesn't make the story even remotely exciting.

That is assuming the other lag was part of the ddos. Neither here nor there though. it up to the authorities to determine who is behind it and deal with it accordingly. I hope whoever it was gets caught and dealt heavy fines and possibly jailed

In my opinion a rollback dosn't make sense at all in this case. Regardless if the ddos attack was caused from one of the factions or not during this event. A rollback would just be telling everyone that as a last resort, you could just mess up the servers and hope to get rolled out of the situation.

Who knows how the raid would have continued. Its only speculations. Either the raiders would got more loot or perhaps turned against each other over the loot in the end and get killed by the defenders, who knows!

Sending everyone home with their loot seems to be the most fair thing to do since both the factions are loosing doing so.

If you have so many and there's truly no big resistance like you say, go with option D. You can login and walk away because apparently from your view and others you already won and were mid leaving, right? So you can login and continue leaving easily, if you were leaving you should be just fine.

If you have so many and there's truly no big resistance like you say, go with option D. You can login and walk away because apparently from your view and others you already won and were mid leaving, right? So you can login and continue leaving easily, if you were leaving you should be just fine.

We had 30 people. Those 30 people have lives an can't cancel work all week until the servers come up and continue raiding.........

have a dice with that  A, B, C, D, E symbol in the dice let roll it (let have eye witness two of the staff), what ever the dice told let be done.

we never know the true stories, let it be decide by the dice fate.

whatever your choice they would never stastified so let the dice roll with all the risk would happen to both side 

Edited by sundaimond

If Rolf gives a set date you can coordinate easily.

And what happens if x person with scale has a business meeting on said time? He logs in the next day to die, getting punished because he has a life to live. Don't punish the winners, that's dumb. This sets a precedent in the future of the defender being able to DDOS to win. If they have that capability.