Sign in to follow this  
Issle

Publicly Accessible Knowledge And Dos Attacks

You are one of those evil people who should never be allowed to hold power.

Edited by Judicator

knowledge should be free and available.  What we should do is just shoot the criminals who misuse the information.  Is giving up your life worth a DOS attack.  If they do it they obviously it must be.

Hi, 

I believe knowledge should not be publicly available to everyone.

You might want to consult your friendly neighborhood psychiatrist, IMHO. You want to throw us back into the dark ages of mankind, where the earl and its holy Joe decided who's worthy to receive education, of their enslaved underlings? Really? Or are you just trolling?

Btw., mitigating DDOS isn't rocket science anymore. There's tools and measures at hand. It's common knowledge that sooner or later you'll get attacked, as soon as you offer an open door. LOIC is a common tool that every admin has installed, and even more dangerous stuff is out there.

This is where IT security comes to the job. If you have a server at the net, you'll get attacked, unavoidably. So you just take measures that not every pickle faced script kiddy will take you down, as well as not every jerk can compromise you with an SQL-Injection. And some more standard attack vectors.
As mentioned, no rocket science, today. Every server provider as well as every ISP worth its salt will provide you with the adequate tools, or, better, take care of it themselves.

I have quite some servers out there, and most of it I have never seen physically. I can log on to an interface to start them even if they are down. Any administrative work is done remotely. And it's the companies that hosts them that does all this stuff for me, or for my respective customers that pay the servers.

We have an additional backup, beyond the one we do ourselves. We have the security that, even if our physical or virtual server would decide to emigrate into server heaven, we'd get a recent copy restored within the hour, on another machine. 24/7 service, of course.

We have dynamic bandwidth, and dynamic processor power in case of our virtual servers. If it exceeds a threshold I get an SMS and can decide what to do.
DDOS are rejected automagically, and SQL sanity is ensured due to an additional layer between the client queries and the database itself.

From what I see on Wurmian player counts, assuming a very heavy load on a tomcat and maybe 1-2K simult. players I'd assume 500 - 1K EUR/ month. Let's take a very good service, 2K EUR.

Not having 24/7, and not having the server provider talking to the ISP, having to do it all by myself? Kidding? But it seems this way :/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now you're coming, proposing that I'd need a NSA clearance before I'd be allowed to read my news? Kidding? I'd be off-job in a minute.

You must be trolling.

Nevertheless, have fun!

• Like 2

I believe knowledge should not be publicly available to everyone. People should be mentally evaluated before gaining access to knowledge that holds power.

pHRkJ7Z.png

If you want to protect yourself you need to know how they work.

Personally I need this knowledge, if nobody knows what they are doing they can't protect. And ddosing something is extremely easy... you dont need much knowledge for that.

Bah, leave the internet free, just require everyone in all forums to use their real names and locations:

(Language warning.. seriously.. it's a Jay and Silent Bob clip...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuBWbpTJRqk

While only joking about it.. would cause a lot more thought before posting.. or solve the reported population issues, so really.. Win-Win!

• Like 1

I posted 10 long replies in this topic so far and no one has responded to any of them, it's like you guys can't see them or something...

I posted 10 long replies in this topic so far and no one has responded to any of them, it's like you guys can't see them or something...

You haven't posted anything in this topic....

You haven't posted anything in this topic....

Well clearly this very response (ironically including the quote ;) ) indicates that that's not true :P

Nonononono.

No one gets my 40k reference, I hate you all.

• Like 1

Well clearly this very response (ironically including the quote ;) ) indicates that that's not true :P

I hacked your posts muhaha :P

Nonononono.

No one gets my 40k reference, I hate you all.

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

• Like 1

Without omniscience, or practical omniscience for the circumstances (the universe is full of knowledge that would be largely irrelevant to this), a judgement of who should know what cannot be made.

No human or body of humans has ever attained the knowledge necessary to judge who should or should not have knowledge. I think society's current balance (openness for pretty well everybody) works better than any deterministic model.

As others have stated, the knowledge necessary for a DDoS attack is so low, that efforts to suppress its dissemination are likely to be comical failures at best. These attacks are also extremely difficult to defend against, as they exploit design flaws in the internet's most basic protocols. I think what's required is probably a bit more handy law enforcement (it _is_ possible to find people responsible for these things, unless they are competent at covering their tracks, which almost none are) and probably some more refinement of the internet's infrastructure.

Cheers,

Shiraek

I was denied the knowledge of those post. :P

I was denied the knowledge of those post. :P

Cuz you should be mentally evaluated before gaining access to that knowledge.

Who knows what you could do with that knowledge.

People who give up freedom to get security deserve and get neither.

Can't possibly disagree more. 

Let's not conflate mildly annoying a statistically insignificant set of the world's population by temporarily blocking their ability to play a game with some sort of Orwellian bizarro world where thought is a crime.

• Like 1

PS: I used to disagree with that statement in post #1, but the ease with which kiddies cause trouble today, has made me skeptic.

Maybe instead of suppressing knowledge, you and I should go forth and share it instead. Then would new innovations come about and solve those technical issues. Those technical issues which you do not want to solve, but sweep them under the mattress instead, whistle innocently, as if they do not even exist.

The naivety some days... There is also the way of thinking that decapitating right select of people would solve all the worlds suffering... Such ways of thinking produce reasoning, often very intelligent, which can easily be believed in, especially if interpretation is biased by emotion.

• Like 1

where would the controlling start/stop? how to define if someone is too mental for something? how to decide which information needs to be protected?

I think I disagree with you on this, because humans are made to be innovative/creative, specially when it comes to find ways to harm others, so no matter how hard you try to take the "tools" from them, the more they'll make their own tools instead, which could be worse.

also.....i dont like the idea of capping information for a certain part of the population......that thing happened in germany once, and everyone knows what resulted from it. It also happened in russia, america and alot of other countries and probably still is happening.

Edited by Miretta