Sign in to follow this  
Valdor

What's In A Wurm?

Hey there,

Well, since the game is currently down and everyone who is suffering moderate to severe withdrawal symptoms is checking these boards every 90 seconds with a hope of some miraculous post that says that not only is the sun shining again in Wurm but you can log in to the game and see it, I decided this is a perfect time to ask something that has been on my mind for some time.

What does "WURM" stand for?

To answer your inevitable question that will follow, this is not the only thing on my mind right now. Like most of you, my brain is currently also preoccupied with the upcoming football game, laundry, tomorrow's weather, the rising temperature of the oceans, world peace and the perpetual enigma as to what to make for tonight's dinner. Still, the actual meaning of the name of the game we play has to rank up there with all those, right? Right!

So, can anyone enlighten me here? What does "Wurm" stand for? Is it an acronym? A word from some medieval language? And don't get me wrong, I have done my homework. I have gone to Dictionary.com, which could only offer the German word "Würm " (the fourth stage of the glaciation of Eurasia during the Pleistocene) as the answer. I have checked Wurmpedia.com, which despite its similar name remains very silent on the matter. I even contacted the psychic who told me I was paranoid and superstitious. So, I turn to you my fellow Wurmians. Did I miss it somewhere? Can someone shed some light on this mystery, so that we can all go back to worrying about world peace instead, as it is probably easier to solve.

The Wurm is a monster Libla uses to eat the world.  Or make gods.  Or something like that.

...since the game is currently down and everyone who is suffering moderate to severe withdrawal symptoms is checking these boards every 90 seconds with a hope of some miraculous post that says that not only is the sun shining again in Wurm but you can log in to the game and see it...

You just described me lol. Just a sec, checking the launcher... ok back to finish this post. I too am curious about the name. I tell my friends about the game, and they keep asking about the significance of worms in the game.

"There are no worms in the game."

"Then why is it called Worm?"

"It's Wurm not Worm!"

"Well what's that mean!?!"

"I DUNNO I JUST PLAY THE GAME!"

"It's a dumb name."

"Whatever, I'm gonna go grind my digging skill."

"Digging for worms?"

NERD RAGE!

I think of Wurm as a green, giant yet a swift wyvern. With it's speed, it takes things. Like a obsessive magpie that steals shiny objects.

By the looks of it, Wurm seems to be a sly rascal that usually gets away with everything.

Its a dragon with no arms or legs. The "missing link" between serpents and dragons if you will.

Something like below

eOhCW8L.jpg

EDIT - Nothing like the above is in game that I know of...its just what a Wurm is.

Edited by sunsvortex

Its a dragon with no arms or legs. The "missing link" between serpents and dragons if you will.

Dam, anyone want to donate me some armour!

Just follow a wurm around, Timothy, you can pull armor out of it's steamy piles of manure. Wurms eat warriors, but their digestion doesn't handle metal armor very well. People who fight wurms are not being eco-friendly - the armor can get lodged in the throat of a pregnant wurm, killing it and preventing the next litter of human-hungry hatchlings from being born!

Warriors! Please use leather armor when fighting wurms! THINK OF THE WURMLINGS!

I read on the Wiki that one of the hallucinations on the meditation path of insanity is a creature called The Wurm. It looks like the red dragon, except brown and a lot bigger.

From the Insanity path wiki page, under the hallucinations section:

"A colossal brown dragon, towering even the red dragon, named 'The Wurm'."

never seen it, but who knows :D

The Wurm is a giant dragon, and it competes with the 4 gods on valrei. It is the god of all dragons and represents a lack of humanity, while the 4 human gods represent our existance. The goal of the Wurm is to remove us all and to return the world to the state it was in before we came into power. This is a lot different than what Libila wants, because she wants humans to exist, but to exist in a state of war and chaos.

I explained it in my lore: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/83936-the-old-world-of-wurm-v2/

In my lore, this is the story of The Wurm:

The Wurm was the god of the planet Wurm before humans came. It prevented other races from appearing to challange his power. Jackal the trickster convinced the Wurm to sleep, and when it did humanity came into being. Humanity grew and covered the Old World of Wurm (other side of the portal, where we come from). Eventually, humans mistakenly came across the Wurm's cave and woke it. After the Wurm saw that humanity was overpowering his world and was killing his kin, he called all the dragons together and went out to war. At the end of the war, Magranon, Vynora, Fo, and Libila defeated him and he retreated to valrei. The treekeeper was impressed by this act, and so he offered the four cherries to become gods.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Wurm isn't and is at the same time.

Wurm is here but nowhere.

Wurm is the universe in which we play in. With long history, full of drama and great success. Thats why when everything is wiped in wurm is called "wurmageddon". That is why when real world logic doesn't apply at all its called wurmlogic.

Wurm means nothing. It is the people who give it meaning.

Hmmm from my 6 or 7 years of experience in wurm I remember this question did came up before and Rolf answered it somewhere... Sadly since it's been that long already I can't recall what it was (think it had something to do with Sweden). Could be posted somewhere in the logs/history of wurmonline, not sure if it did save anywhere though.

Some stuff I found about wurm: http://magiccards.info/query?q=!massacre+wurm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wurm:_Journey_to_the_Center_of_the_Earth

http://dragoncity.wikia.com/wiki/Wurm_Dragon

Just while writing, I think there should be an answer on the forums somewhere too if it didn't get deleted yet.

Hmmm from my 6 or 7 years of experience in wurm I remember this question did came up before and Rolf answered it somewhere... Sadly since it's been that long already I can't recall what it was (think it had something to do with Sweden). Could be posted somewhere in the logs/history of wurmonline, not sure if it did save anywhere though.

Could it have been lost in the forumgedon?

The lore I wrote was my own work btw, and is hardly official. If there was an actual story about what the Wurm was, I'd love to hear it.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Could it have been lost in the forumgedon?

The lore I wrote was my own work btw, and is hardly official. If there was an actual story about what the Wurm was, I'd love to hear it.

Could be, might have been in 1 of the interviews with some MMO website or something, can't really remember where it was, but I do know it was mentioned somewhere.

Edit: if I recall correct it's not even written as WURM, rather WÃœRM or something...

Edited by PsMaster

One night in Sweden, Notch and Rolf got roaring drunk...