Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Minor Status Update

Problem is that afaik Rolf's hosting company is in his city (and only one im his city) so he can have physical access to servers and I'm also pretty sure I heard he has a preferential price, quite below the average market price.

Probably that's why he can't really rahe about it.

Just like you can't really rage quit and go to a competitor, since there isn't really something rlse like WURM, with all its flaws.

PS: I said you and not us, becaise I already quit because of other reasons.

Not quite sure why anyone would DDOS Wurm. :/ Thanks for the updates Rolf, and GL with getting this up asap. I'll be patiently waiting spamming reconnect and trying to amke pevp with my neighbors. :P

Many a data center offer protection for free, some of them are so well setup that free protection can block most things. Either way IP's are never nulled and they seem to manage decent up time on their networks. Well the ones I was using did.

I have a extreme beef with any center that nulls IP's. its a DDoS attackers paradise. So easy to take servers offline. TBH the attack could go on for weeks, since nobody is bothering to filter it.

Actually, SOP for this type of thing at any datacenter would be to nullroute it, generally with BGP communities. And then if it's critical enough (Like this) you'd offer the customer some temporary v4 space (like a /29) that they can temporarily migrate to. With wurm's client, it should be able to fetch the login server config as it starts up from some server that's hopefully NOT the login server. With the updated IPs on the login server, you'd circumvent the DoS.

I do this kind of thing all the time. Minus server config, it takes ~5 minutes to null route, allocate new /29, route it to customer, assign it to firewall, and modify the firewall policies accordingly.

For all the people saying 'You should switch hosts' - have you ever though Rolf may well be in a contract with his current host and simply breaking away and moving elsewhere would be MORE costly (new costs to setup, costs to pay for breaking contract etc)? Also the time to move to another host would take more than a couple of days, considering DNS propogation, setting hardware back up, configuring , reinstalling backups etc

The issue here isn't with the server host, it's with an ISP supplier to the host, which Rolf has no control of. Yes, the supplier should have had better DDoS protection in place, but again that's not Rolfs' fault.

DDoS are never the fault of the game, supplier or host hit - many other companies and games have had DDoS targetted at them and had downtime because of it - the fault solely lies with the scumbag who gets his/her kicks doing this.

Take a step back, it's not the end of life in the universe, and everything will be back soon enough :)

DISCLAIMER :-  This is my own personal opinion and in no way is to be taken as an official response or view from Code Club or it's Staff Members

Edited by Bullbrand
  • Like 3

First I want to say here that I want to offend anyone or make down and generally am very glad that there is the worm online game! 

But I must now address what times what I feel for quite some time not good ... 

Now I play since several years and well ... 

I can honestly say that since I ROLF or the person responsible for giving a certain amount of guilt in these circumstances. 

It can not be that until everything here is made more expensive by many times in the spring, the number of players is getting bigger and you want them to have as well, but then still want to keep everything as cheap as possible! 

This applies to both the story of the servers as well as many other things in the game. 

That the servers often do not go well and cause problems is also beyond question. Comes for my taste too often before. 

The support was certainly better in the game, but it can be as well not have been completely and still needs a lot more quality in terms of GM's. 

What bothers me most common being: 

Wurm Online is an absolutely great game and I'm glad it's not going to a big publisher, but so also can not bear to go on. 

2-3 new updates every few weeks in the form of graphical models, it can not be. 

Sure is pretty, but this can not be the only approach to improve a game or safer still do so in this case! 

All this money only to put in a graphic designer is not the right way 

In my opinion needs to be finally upgraded and the game will be placed in a more professional direction. 

Maybe you need sometimes sponsors, so I can not judge the secure and may not intervene in the game itself. 

We have right now with the server problems already seen that a lot of the time is no longer just correspondingly. 

The direction is so great that way, but somehow it felht a bit of clout. 

Sure, the writing is quick and easy here in line, but the operator should ever come to question whether you want to go on forever with the little Java game so or sometimes takes a step forward. 

After all, you earned your keep with this game from the money the players and thus have a profitable business that needs to keep esw operational. 

What can not be, firstly, that the hosting provider itself does not care if for 4 days already prevalent problems and then get the message over the weekend that there was a failure totlan. 

This is not only unprofessional, but really below the belt for me. 

Since it definitely needs a rethink to the server finally safer and better. 

Especially the support of many small games here selbt reacts even faster, or at least provides a backup server. 

Does not that make what is wrong in today's world of technology. 

Even an attack in the form of a hacker can never put a whole game lame or even other companies to host their servers! 

Last but not least: 

Clearly this is a game and in real life there are a lot worse things. 

But although most of the play but to distract from the real life part white so hard to relax again jeniges force for real life to have. 

I find it very relaxing to play Wurm Online, but not with such permanent problems of server lag that exists permanently. 

If the server fails then so, as is now the case, which must also be different. 

In this sense, once again sorry for my harsh words, but that's my opinion and I hope that the company Wurm online more professionalism and expertise on the series gets to not but eventually ending up as a game that was beautiful and had potential, but it just did not make as many other games also 

I hope that now I not only read back the voices that say then, Rolf makes everything great, but sometimes criticism is expressed that would otherwise be addressed by many in the private chats, but then again no one dares it here times to address . 

I hope it continues and that very soon, because it would be a shame for it! 

Creed...

Second business within a few weeks that I have seen taking a forced break due to service provider issues. If i ever open a server based business I shall have back up servers in my living room.

• Like 1

its all well and dandy to say relax and it will all be back soon enough......but if nothing is done it will be down again almost as quickly.....sure we don't know the full details.....but complaining about costs of having a 24/7 cover is crazy.....it HAS to be 24/7...there is no other option!

creed1, on 10 Nov 2013 - 5:11 PM, said:snapback.png

am very glad that there is the worm online game! 

:ph34r:

I appreciate that English isn't your first language but ..come on   .. you could have spelt the game's name properly.  :rolleyes:  :P 
This kinda caused me to skim by what you said but having started this reply I decided it'd be fair to read it.

1 - we have no idea how the wages are sorted out reports on any area of vitalization doesn't mean all the money is being spent on that area alone.
2 - yeah i agree we need a watertight host who have the infrastructure to safeguard against such attacks for these attacks are probably the white noise of the future, I have faith that it'll be taken care of in the long run.

I think every society compromises liberty for security, to some extent (or to a gross extent as we see occurring around us)
I think every business model compromises upon their original, `grand` intention to assure buoyancy. 
(i hear perimeters used to be a tad bigger)

Emerging fears will no doubt illustrate our concerns toward which compromises might have to be made.
I think it's still a buyers market, the host doesn't have to be in Sweden. Although the two companies have no business in each others.. between Rolf and his .. old friends, I reckon this little trauma drama will produce positive results.

not to worry    ;)
Edited by Steveleeb

Hey all,

I have a question for the people who know about this issues with hosting ect ect .

When everything is solved this week and we can play Wurm online again. Is it possible that we get an other ddos attack?

That this whole situation starts over?

kind regards

First I want to say here that I want to offend anyone or make down and generally am very glad that there is the worm online game! 

But I must now address what times what I feel for quite some time not good ... 

I can honestly say that since I ROLF or the person responsible for giving a certain amount of guilt in these circumstances. 

It can not be that until everything here is made more expensive by many times in the spring, the number of players is getting bigger and you want them to have as well, but then still want to keep everything as cheap as possible! 

This applies to both the story of the servers as well as many other things in the game. 

That the servers often do not go well and cause problems is also beyond question. Comes for my taste too often before. 

The support was certainly better in the game, but it can be as well not have been completely and still needs a lot more quality in terms of GM's. 

What bothers me most common being: 

Wurm Online is an absolutely great game and I'm glad it's not going to a big publisher, but so also can not bear to go on. 

2-3 new updates every few weeks in the form of graphical models, it can not be. 

Sure is pretty, but this can not be the only approach to improve a game or safer still do so in this case! 

All this money only to put in a graphic designer is not the right way 

In my opinion needs to be finally upgraded and the game will be placed in a more professional direction. 

Maybe you need sometimes sponsors, so I can not judge the secure and may not intervene in the game itself. 

We have right now with the server problems already seen that a lot of the time is no longer just correspondingly. 

The direction is so great that way, but somehow it felht a bit of clout. 

Sure, the writing is quick and easy here in line, but the operator should ever come to question whether you want to go on forever with the little Java game so or sometimes takes a step forward. 

After all, you earned your keep with this game from the money the players and thus have a profitable business that needs to keep esw operational. 

What can not be, firstly, that the hosting provider itself does not care if for 4 days already prevalent problems and then get the message over the weekend that there was a failure totlan. 

This is not only unprofessional, but really below the belt for me. 

Since it definitely needs a rethink to the server finally safer and better. 

Especially the support of many small games here selbt reacts even faster, or at least provides a backup server. 

Does not that make what is wrong in today's world of technology. 

Even an attack in the form of a hacker can never put a whole game lame or even other companies to host their servers! 

Last but not least: 

Clearly this is a game and in real life there are a lot worse things. 

But although most of the play but to distract from the real life part white so hard to relax again jeniges force for real life to have. 

I find it very relaxing to play Wurm Online, but not with such permanent problems of server lag that exists permanently. 

If the server fails then so, as is now the case, which must also be different. 

In this sense, once again sorry for my harsh words, but that's my opinion and I hope that the company Wurm online more professionalism and expertise on the series gets to not but eventually ending up as a game that was beautiful and had potential, but it just did not make as many other games also 

I hope that now I not only read back the voices that say then, Rolf makes everything great, but sometimes criticism is expressed that would otherwise be addressed by many in the private chats, but then again no one dares it here times to address . 

I hope it continues and that very soon, because it would be a shame for it! 

Creed...

What's the matter?  No one was responding to the thread you started with this speech, so you decided to repost it here?

i think this is the better place to read it...

When you copy and paste the same thing to other threads it is called spamming, and is against forum rules.

i think this is the better place to read it...

Whatever translator you were using, did not help you at all. I was half laughing and half confused at all your statements which mostly made no sense. Either learn the language or find yourself someone who can translate properly for you.

I'm pretty sure Rolf knows what he is doing. I don't think he needs advice, and to those of you that are getting angry, you should calm down. There is nothing anyone can do but wait until the hosting company sorts out whats going on.

• Like 1

dont care if you will not read the sentence right.

the important things can be understand ande i am in right with my things...

the problem is the most here in forum are fanboys and will never talk the real things here.

but we will see if we can not play the next week what you say..

i dont hope this will be real, but it can...

I'm pretty sure Rolf knows what he is doing. I don't think he needs advice, and to those of you that are getting angry, you should calm down. There is nothing anyone can do but wait until the hosting company sorts out whats going on.

@ the moment i see he know nothing for be on a so stupid provider. that is one of my reason in my text but fanboys will not see this...

dont can believe go to a so small provider who do nothing for have so bad attacks on weekend but the money must be on the first in month on her bank.

so big downtimes in the gamingzone is very bad for a small game like wurm...

that is one of them i have written...

• Like 1

What you can expect from small game companies. Not enough money to move things faster as money talks in this world.

PS  Forum posting is buggy

I replied to your post and you have obviously not read it.
that's ok, that's your prerogative creed1 but don't expect much attention from people if you demand more than you offer.

My previous replies to your point, a point that was difficult to translate, stand firm.

go read them

Edited by Steveleeb

This is a great PR opportunity for Wurm.  Google and there are numerous articles bringing to light this issue and elevating Wurm into the spotlight.  This helps generate much needed public awareness for this great game.  Turn this into an opportunity by offering new players 50% off first month premium or something to entice an increased subscription base.  This is lemonade man, drink up.

Edited by Galatyn
  • Like 3

@ the moment i see he know nothing for be on a so stupid provider. that is one of my reason in my text but fanboys will not see this...

Its and Indie company, they don't have the funds to go with such services like the big A list games, i just see you as a angry little man who, yes has a right to his opinion, but blaming fanboys for not seeing a problem, when its clearly not theirs, or Rolfs problem is another thing.

As it has been said by GM and CM, maybe hes in a contract he can not break, one that he joined when the game just didn't have the funds to go with anything else, and just has to ride this out until they can upgrade to something bigger better and more reliable.

Its the weekend, go get laid or something rather than ranting about something that no one can do anything about. Yes were all a bit angsty, angry and missing our beloved Wurm, but all this hate is really rather pathetic and pointless.

Alas i have fed a troll, i shall now go and smack my head against a wall for even bothering to respond to such idiocracy

• Like 7

You gotta bear in mind, creed ... CCP (Eve Online), Runescape (and that's tricky with their 100+ servers), EXTRA LIFE (ffs that was low), LoL, and other giants have been hit with DDoS.  I was on the Eve one and it also took them 3 or 4 days to come back to life.

Major banks and sites have taken hardcore hits too, and we're talking companies with hundreds of thousands and even millions of dollars worth of infrastructure.

Other thing about "money talks", is that if say, WoW gets taken down for a few days, law enforcement will be all over it.  Wurm.... well, if I get robbed, cops will show up in 45 minutes at best.  If a bank gets robbed, 10+ units are there in under 3 minutes.

What we can conclude from this regarding the culprits is:

a) Script kiddy.

B) DEFINITELY script kiddy, mommy's boy gone emo over not getting that pink pony for his birdthday, and upon not being able to take down something big, he went for an indy game.

c) DEFINITELY not a hacker, as TRUE hackers will target stuff with a legitimate reason, which means never an indy game when companies like EA are robbing their users blind without any form of remorse.

As for armchair advise... anyone not on Linux, run a proper virus/spyware/malware scan battery... for all you know your own pc could be involved in the DDoS.  Linux users, I mean yeah check for rootkits but that's more of a formality :3

• Like 1

Creed will you please shut up.  I've read several posts of yours already, and all you are doing is complaining about Wurm Online and the server company Rolf and the team contract.  This is not a thread to discuss your irrational feelings, poor grammar, or  to "teach" everyone the principles of keeping this game running and gathering player base.  Please take your thoughts on such matters to another thread, and leave this thread for updates and player questions/support concerning the down-time.  Thank you.

With that being said, bummer on the extended down time, but hopefully Monday or Tuesday we'll be up and running with no other ramifications in the foreseeable future.  Thanks for the update team.

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 1