Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Minor Status Update

If was as simple as that I'm sure it would have been done.  Obviously there is a lot more involved than you or I can imagine.

Maybe you cant imagine it but I have about 15 years experience in this field. Getting the login server on the internet should not be a big task if all servers are physically in the same place.  I doubt you could forward traffic from the blocked ip so the problem may be with changing the launcher to point to the new ip.

• Like 1

Yea that's to bad, hope it gets fixed soon, I don't know what to do with all my free time... :-)

If was as simple as that I'm sure it would have been done.  Obviously there is a lot more involved than you or I can imagine.

nah these days I'm sure its pretty simple. Point is between minecraft and wurm there is enough money to get better host providers for login servers

The are solutions and/or mitigation's for DDoS, but from what I read here the issue is primarily the up-line ISP where they need to take down the block of IP addresses/DNS sources that are the DoS target so that other operations can continue.  Not exactly a professional way to handle the situation and is a little old-school nowadays, but it works for them. 

Quite frankly, most collocation and hosted data centers should have mitigations in place coordinated with the upstream ISP.   They would reroute the traffic through a series of DDoS filters/firewalls allowing good/validated traffic through and then denying the DDoS attack traffic.   These systems are now advanced enough to autonomously "learn" the traffic patterns and allow business to continue (albeit at a decreased capacity).

Some new tech from Google is interesting:  https://projectshield.withgoogle.com/about/

Many a data center offer protection for free, some of them are so well setup that free protection can block most things. Either way IP's are never nulled and they seem to manage decent up time on their networks. Well the ones I was using did.

I have a extreme beef with any center that nulls IP's. its a DDoS attackers paradise. So easy to take servers offline. TBH the attack could go on for weeks, since nobody is bothering to filter it.

I agree with you Alex, the ISP is obviously not interested in solving problems or taking proactive steps. They need the boot, really hard one at that.

This bit about nothing being done until they have a meeting is beyond unacceptable. Seems they don't care about Rolf's plight, which in turn trickles down to us.

Perhaps Rolf stays with them due to it being "local" to him, dunno. Whatever the situation, it's bad all the way around for everyone involved.

Edited by LouisC
  • Like 6

nah these days I'm sure its pretty simple. Point is between minecraft and wurm there is enough money to get better host providers for login servers

What? CC-AB has no hand in Mojang's business

All other ips for the servers are fine, if he took gv down, plugged that connection into the login server, and patched with address change that should work.  

It wouldn't work, Golden Valley, and the login server are literally the server. Its the same connection.

Their whole block of ips is up, you can ping anything but login.  They start at .111 and go up in numerical order.

Yea not gv, another server or ip,

Edited by tgod

Maybe you cant imagine it but I have about 15 years experience in this field. Getting the login server on the internet should not be a big task if all servers are physically in the same place.  I doubt you could forward traffic from the blocked ip so the problem may be with changing the launcher to point to the new ip.

I've got experience in the field too, enough to know that armchair consulting like this is useless.  Unless you know all the details of how his hardware is set up, and how the server host is set up, and how the internet provider is set up, and all the contracts involved, neither you or I can give any good advice.

Everyone and their advice reminds me of this old George Carlin bit about drugs and coffee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTuPwkkhtrc

• Like 3

Not much he can do on a Sunday? Well if you have 10 connections and 1 goes down it makes since to use one of the other connections. Why sit around and wait for an isp to unblock an address 1when you can goto the datacenter? Goto datacenter, unplug GV server, take that connection and use for login server. Patch with new login ip... seems easy if all hardware is in same location.

And where does the new ip come from?

Yes the support of the data center need to give the server a new ip which isn't possible before monday and it wouldn't help!

Because I am quite sure that they are ddosing the domain jenn001.game.wurmonline.com.if you give the log in server a new ip you need to enter the ip into the domain. Then they would turn on the server and the attacker would not even need to adjust anything. The server would go down.

Ddos is a really hard attack it is not that easy to handle.

Edited by Sklo:D

I got my wurm fix for the weekend on the test server.

It was crazy,riot and lag merged into one experience.

• Like 1

I've got experience in the field too, enough to know that armchair consulting like this is useless.  Unless you know all the details of how his hardware is set up, and how the server host is set up, and how the internet provider is set up, and all the contracts involved, neither you or I can give any good advice.

Everyone and their advice reminds me of this old George Carlin bit about drugs and coffee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTuPwkkhtrc

Well all hardware is obv at the datacenter, and like I said all of their other ips are fine.  Armchair consulting?  Do you have leather patches sown on the elbows of your jacket professor? Everyone and their advice? That is called brainstorming and troubleshooting.  If you aren't willing to listen to all suggestions and consider all possibilities I doubt you have done any consulting.

Maybe new ip could come from test server.  Who knows, they would prob rather wait for the isp to fix it than to make any changes.

• Like 1

Well my premium ran out for some om my characters today. I must admit at this point they are highly unlikely to become reprem.

Using TDC as ISP is basicly asking for problems.

• Like 2

Well all hardware is obv at the datacenter, and like I said all of their other ips are fine.  Armchair consulting?  Do you have leather patches sown on the elbows of your jacket professor? Everyone and their advice? That is called brainstorming and troubleshooting.  If you aren't willing to listen to all suggestions and consider all possibilities I doubt you have done any consulting.

Maybe new ip could come from test server.  Who knows, they would prob rather wait for the isp to fix it than to make any changes.

Actually, the center shut Rolf down because it WAS affecting other ips, so I would not say they are fine.  And yes, if you don't know the specifics of the hardware and the contractual agreements involved you are armchair consulting.  I've done plenty of consulting, and would never offer any suggestion until I had those details, I would be a fool to do otherwise.

• Like 1

The meeting will be about whether or not to join the rest of professional hosting services and invest in DDOS protection.

If you can afford it, switch, because I have better protection with my $4 a month hosting service here in the US.

• Like 1

Well my premium ran out for some om my characters today. I must admit at this point they are highly unlikely to become reprem.

Using TDC as ISP is basicly asking for problems.

We get our 2 days of premium back. As for the TDC, i guess they met their match.

Netsol has 24/7 support. IDK how other people have found them but they seem robust to me.

Dear Rolf,  maybe you should use Cloudflare-like protection?

Thats what i thought also. I know sites that get DDOS-attacks on a regular basis, and they have such kind of protection. They guard your bandwith so to say and with slight signs of incoming DDOS they take measures at once. Not an expert in such things but i know it works.

Naturally it costs and for a whole company i'm not sure how much it costs but if the game does not run at all, no price can be to high i guess.

The hosting company, i mean when they take things that easy, that they watch a whole game with hundreds of players being down, risking real damage on the game company..for me it seems this hosting company Rolf is at doesn't take the problem to serious, or they would have solved the situation at once.

And then: they have a meeting tomorrow, so what shall they decide ? Give the hacker a phonecall to stop the DDOS or they get angry ?

Or to kick Rolf ?

I mean i cannot imagine that there will something helpful happen, except one thing: they will advice Rolf, to use the Cloudflare-protection.

We can do that also, for free:)

My dad and his dad and his dad were all Lumberjacks and they say: What you do not do, doesn't happen, so do it.

EDIT: on the other hand: Rolf for sure thought 2 seconds after he knew it is a DDOS-attack about this solution. That he doesn't do it, must have a reason.

Edited by Rodget

SKLO its not i used it on my mine craft server they just need to connect the ip change it and than place that people connect with the name done

I find the whole situation farcical and your hosting company is nothing short of a joke. There are budget hosts in 3rd world countries that would have had this resolved in minutes.

Well it works via DNS which is right that it can be used for minecraft and wurm too, but I doubt that it is concipated for such loads of trafic, so don't think that it works on Wurm. Well there is only one way to know for sure...