Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Minor Status Update

That's a shame, nothing you can do though.

So thanks for updating everyone at least.

Rosedragon I am coming on test to hunt you down

Lock up your children muahahha

Edited by Rolandt

Awww maaan. This really does Megabyte! As frustrated as I am after just buying some premium time coupled with the fact that weekends are mainly my time to play I know its not your fault. I just hope something can be done sooner rather than later! I guess ill go carry on working on my greathelm! IRL

4eDXZyb.jpg

=D=D 

DDoS protection, nulling a ip is a victory to them? If I was you I'd have already totally lost my crap with them and moved on to a new datacenter. Wurm will get bigger and with more and more competition slowing rising you could end up attacked by other sandbox games like urs in a hopes to discredit wurm and move clients from here to where ever.

Do not be with a host that nulls IPs. It will destroy you. Because it means they have to go to absoutlely no effort to deny your service, they just DDoS it with a few bots then keep that going and the ISP will null the IP effectively giving them the victory they was after.

Edited by AlexLong
  • Like 5

Dear Rolf, maybe you should use Cloudflare-like protection?

A wurm server is no web server so sadly this will not work and according to my knowledge I can't really say that cloudflare is something which works perfect, well better than nothing but what I know this service is for websites only.

A really good ddos protection will cost between 200 and 2000 € per month. Just depends on how good the attacker is if he is doing less packets and many IPs which is the baddest case or if he is doing a softer attack with just less IPs but many packets per second. Somebody really should look into the last minutes of the server traffic before it went down to see how worse this case is and if a special ddos protection of a company needs to be set up.

I don't think that they are doing synflooding because a good firewall could block that easiely and the ISP wouldn't even notice the attack because just a few IPs would be enough in this kind of ddos attack.

how can i play the test server?! :)

got it :)

Edited by Gabrs

A wurm server is no web server so sadly this will not work and according to my knowledge I can't really say that cloudflare is something which works perfect, well better than nothing but what I know this service is for websites only.

A really good ddos protection will cost between 200 and 2000 € per month. Just depends on how good the attacker is if he is doing less packets and many IPs which is the baddest case or if he is doing a softer attack with just less IPs but many packets per second. Somebody really should look into the last minutes of the server traffic before it went down to see how worse this case is and if a special ddos protection of a company needs to be set up.

I don't think that they are doing synflooding because a good firewall could block that easiely and the ISP wouldn't even notice the attack because just a few IPs would be enough in this kind of ddos attack.

Many a data center offer protection for free, some of them are so well setup that free protection can block most things. Either way IP's are never nulled and they seem to manage decent up time on their networks. Well the ones I was using did.

I have a extreme beef with any center that nulls IP's. its a DDoS attackers paradise. So easy to take servers offline. TBH the attack could go on for weeks, since nobody is bothering to filter it.

• Like 3

Maybe I'm missing something in the translation but something isn't right with the information you are getting from TDC and your hosting company.

Good luck and all, I hope you're able to continue building our home on the net.

Many a data center offer protection for free, some of them are so well setup that free protection can block most things. Either way IP's are never nulled and they seem to manage decent up time on their networks. Well the ones I was using did.

I have a extreme beef with any center that nulls IP's. its a DDoS attackers paradise. So easy to take servers offline. TBH the attack could go on for weeks, since nobody is bothering to filter it.

Well it might depend on which form of ddos they are using. Personally I haven't used too much hosting centers yet. My favourite one is in france and they have really good stuff there.

No idea how they deal with ddos though but I will look into this.

I am pretty sure that the attack will go on for weeks so something needs to be done.

• Like 2

I have a hard time believing that no ones there to fix the problems. Wurm is paying for a service.. Big one I may add. There are always techs there 24/7, I just think it's laziness on their part not to fix a DOS issue.

• Like 2

maybe its worth going to a managed hosting  company or provider that offers 24/7 support. I have one base in the U.K that I can call at any time to fix such problems. Just a thought.

but no sppurt on weekend is the first no go i think!

if a serverhoster everytime will do nothing if a game have a problem i will kick them off and go to another serverhoster !

no go i think let us wait these days

and tomorrow i dont think there come to an end!

i see us the next week dont play wurm for this babyhoster

i think wurm will be bigger and bigger and for this small game we pay many euros and i think rofl msut go the next step and will be more professionaly now!

this costs player too if thre server not online and the hoster will do nothing on the first day if a problem start!

You need to get a different host. If u did be back up by now. Ty mod for giving me warning forgot I can't have a opinion

• Like 3

Well it might depend on which form of ddos they are using. Personally I haven't used too much hosting centers yet. My favourite one is in france and they have really good stuff there.

No idea how they deal with ddos though but I will look into this.

Yeah thats true. I don't really know much about the types. Never got in to that type of thing. I just helped manage a IRC host with another guy, we always had decent protection at the "free Basic DDoS protection" centers. They was always being hit somewhere within their network, never nulled IP's and rarely went down, cpl of times for an hour or so while filtering kicked in but yeah very rare.

Worth it for Wurm

Edited by AlexLong
  • Like 1

Really appreciate the information, you are starting to look more professional Rolf.  Keep it up mate.

• Like 1

That's my point has to be the kind of service he is paying for. Most places this problem would have been fixed in a hour. Why they back up.

All other ips for the servers are fine, if he took gv down, plugged that connection into the login server, and patched with address change that should work.  

thats my words.

i cant believe there will do nothing on weekend if there is a so big emergency

I have a hard time believing that no ones there to fix the problems. Wurm is paying for a service.. Big one I may add. There are always techs there 24/7, I just think it's laziness on their part not to fix a DOS issue.

Some of you are forgetting a simple fact.  Yes, the services offer 24/7 support, but that costs extra, and obviously Rolf could not afford that rate.  Yes, he probably needs to find a provider that offers 24/7 support cheaper, but not much he can do about that on a Sunday, so let's all wait and see how things go this week.  Do you all really think he is just sitting there waiting?  I'm sure all these ideas are going through his head too.

Not much he can do on a Sunday?  Well if you have 10 connections and 1 goes down it makes since to use one of the other connections. Why sit around and wait for an isp to unblock an address when you can goto the datacenter?  Goto datacenter, unplug GV server, take that connection and use for login server.  Patch with new login ip... seems easy if all hardware is in same location.

Edited by tgod

Some of you are forgetting a simple fact. Yes, the services offer 24/7 support, but that costs extra, and obviously Rolf could not afford that rate. Yes, he probably needs to find a provider that offers 24/7 support cheaper, but not much he can do about that on a Sunday, so let's all wait and see how things go this week. Do you all really think he is just sitting there waiting? I'm sure all these ideas are going through his head too.

The person that works in consignment shift doesnt have to be there all the time, he just need a mobile phone to pick up when there is a problem, this isnt real expensive and a must for every company that runs a 24/7 hour business. Im not blaming wurm staff here but this hostcompany clearly is pretty amateuristic

• Like 1

Not much he can do on a Sunday?  Well if you have 10 connections and 1 goes down it makes since to use one of the other connections. Why sit around and wait for an isp to unblock an address when you can goto the datacenter?  Goto datacenter, unplug GV server, take that connection and use for login server.  Patch with new login ip... seems easy if all hardware is in same location.

If was as simple as that I'm sure it would have been done.  Obviously there is a lot more involved than you or I can imagine.

Ehh im getting alot of stuff tried out that ive been wanting to on test so Im good :)