Sign in to follow this  
shokan

Dropshaft Help & Cement Floors

I have an idea for creating a large cave with a vaulted ceiling. I know you can mine up the ceiling height a bit, then mine down the floor, but I want an even higher ceiling. What if I mine a 4x4 open space about 3 "floors" (not sure how height is measured here) above water level, then mine directly under that 4x4 space at water level, making all those tiles become drop shafts?  Does it work, or will the game block it with "stability" problems? If it works, will it have really weird graphics, or actually look like a nice big cavern, with a high ceiling?

Secondly, in this big cavern, I would like clean floors. I was reading that cement can be used on floors of mines to raise them up. Does it end up making a faster walking surface and look clean, like stone slabs? Can anyone post a pic of cement floors in a mine?  Are there any words of caution for using cement on mine floors?

Thank you much!

Concrete on cave floors does not change its looks, just changes the slope of the floor. As far as a drop shaft, it does not change the slope of the floor adjacent to the tile your mining but rather the floor of the tile your about to remove.

if you use concrete on cave floors it just get raised by the amount of concrete you use. it will still look the same and it will not make you move faster

and having a high ceiling? I know the game is 2d and not 3d, but am hoping this would be a visual way to make it appear the way I want.

Thanks for the responses!

mine in as high as possible, dirt the surface so you don't pop out. mine a room and expand until you can't any further, then mine down. continue/repeat until your desired height/size. collapse original mine and open a lower one.

You don't need the dirt.  You cannot create an entrance by mining the ceilings, only walls.

It is possible to have a ceiling that is a colossus high in a cave i have seen it ;). Just takes a lot of work, what i would suggest is making "steps" up to how high you want the cave to be and then mine you way down a step at a time.

As far as a drop shaft, it does not change the slope of the floor adjacent to the tile your mining but rather the floor of the tile your about to remove.

Not entirely true, you can shift floors about a bit if you know what you're doing, but it's complicated to plan and often even harder to get it right in practice ;) However, it is why I love mag priests!