Sign in to follow this  
Saroman

Bridge Preview

Nice, nice nice.   If you make the maximum length some fairly large number of tiles I will happily promise you Xallo's first born child, heck I might anyway out of simple enthusiasm.

So i am guessing any bridge that is part of a legal highway will be covered by the road rules? I can just see people fighting over bridge placement already and we need to have some rules set in place i would imagine. 

• Like 2

So i am guessing any bridge that is part of a legal highway will be covered by the road rules? I can just see people fighting over bridge placement already and we need to have some rules set in place i would imagine. 

Bah.. Let them fight, imagine some of the counter bridges we'd get  :blink:

I'm curious as to how we'll be allowed to remove land-bridges and replace with real bridges on protected highways, some folks might not want a "real" bridge in place of their land-bridge.  Also hope we get several bridge types/styles...

Such as:

Wooden Samples:

https://www.google.com/search?q=images:+wooden+bridges&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zbODUtmNJM-YigLatoHACg&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1485&bih=860

Stone Samples:

https://www.google.com/search?q=images:+stone+bridges&hl=en&authuser=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=HrSDUrmSPIe_igLFvYGwCw&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1485&bih=860

Metal Samples:

https://www.google.com/search?q=images:+iron+bridges&hl=en&authuser=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=SbSDUpWJJ8GsiAKqr4DYDA&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1485&bih=860

Id imagine once the bridge mechanics in code are finalized, then different graphical versions would be likely. A mostly aesthetics change with some tweaks.

I highly doubt that the rope bridge (or any other bridge for that matter) will arc downwards slightly in the middle - that sounds like a nightmare to implement. But I could be wrong.

They are trying to implement sloped bridges.

Once that is done, they may implement something that rope bridges slope automatically.

• Like 1

I highly doubt that the rope bridge (or any other bridge for that matter) will arc downwards slightly in the middle - that sounds like a nightmare to implement. But I could be wrong.

Rope bridge will arc down, others arc up.

• Like 6

TBH, I don't know what you guys are talking about... Think I might be scared to cross that bridge. Looks it might break. :/

Either way, nice work! Keep the cookies coming! :)

Also, think there was a comment they only way to do so would be to reset the mining layer.

I can imagine it being DIFFICULT without a reset, but the server has all the data it needs to convert the current layer's data into a proper 3d one.

• Like 1

1) Damage bridge to within inch of it's life.

2) Wait for attackers to come across bridge

3) Destroy Bridge

4) Profit

• Like 1

3) Destroy Bridge

4) Profit

It worked for Indiana Jones.

I can imagine it being DIFFICULT without a reset, but the server has all the data it needs to convert the current layer's data into a proper 3d one.

It's not a problem of turning a 2d into a 3d layer, it's matching the tiles on the "mostly" 2d surface map to the 3d sub-surface map.  Currently, the tiles share a 1:1 relationship, mapping the transition from surface layer to mine layer is "easy".  When you have to do the same with the 2d to 3d maps AND keep the current map data (after converting that 2d mine layer to 3d) and still get the layers to match up correctly as well as the transition code working correctly (had a ship hang on a cave canal lately?) , it lands high enough on that "difficult" measurement to be pretty much unlikely.

Doesn't mean that they can't do it though, just is it worth the work to do so.

Edited by Hussars

3) Destroy Bridge

4) Profit

Heh would be nice if there were damaged models for bridges, much like with walls and such.  That would look awesome, especially with stone bridges, containing holes you could fall through.  It would also give an attacker warning.  Heh though I think that an attacker could try to repair the bridge before he crosses it if there is an issue.  

I to am curious to if we will be able to connect bridges to houses?

I to am curious to if we will be able to connect bridges to houses?

House to House as well as house to ground would be awesome.

Combine that with sloped bridges and I can already imagine some awesome designs.

House to House as well as house to ground would be awesome.

Combine that with sloped bridges and I can already imagine some awesome designs.

House to Ground -> i can claim my mountaintop without either mining a staircase up or building one more ramp :o

Will it be possible to build a bridge from a house tile border (where you can place the walls, also from higher stories) to ground tiles ?

I am wishing for this for so long. We have some Level 30 Slopes next to houses and it would be perfect to have a possiblity to get from the 2nd floor of the house to the upper regions.

That feature would be awesome !

I am curious to know if the suspended rope bridges will sway in the wind similar to how boats do now?  Having a bridge sway violently during a gale (and possibly randomly cause the player to fall off during a gale) would be awesome!  

Putting them in a mine would be nice too. Bridge over a canal.

Edited by NESGamepro
  • Like 2

Will you be able to make bridge that ends on the same tile border as a fence or wall?

Edited by Sir Arowhun

I am curious to know if the suspended rope bridges will sway in the wind similar to how boats do now?  Having a bridge sway violently during a gale (and possibly randomly cause the player to fall off during a gale) would be awesome!  

Unless the player fell 700 dirt to their death...