Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Continued Downtime

With all this free time with nothing to do im actually getting time to study :P

Heh I actually finished two college assignments early because of it xP

If this continues you might want to consider hosting in a country that isn't Monday thru Friday 8 am to 5 pm for everything.

Perhaps the good people over at CCP in Iceland would let us use one of their storage rooms......

Really - how does a country survive in this day without support on the weekends?  Then again maybe I should move there, sounds like just about everyone is guaranteed to have weekends off. It's so 1950's.

Don't be silly, of course there is 24/7 support in Sweden, it all depends on what you pay.

Oh and btw, our shops are also open on sundays. I heard in some countries they aren't. I call that very 50s.

You need to read up when it comes to Sweden.

Looks like they managed to get Rolf in to an escape pod. Crisis over for this thread.

2ahwmt5.jpg

"Bah, foiled again!" - Doughboy

Good luck wurmdevs, ddosing game servers is like boxing vs blindfolded 5 year olds, easy and despicable. May the person who is doing it get diarrhea forevah and is forced to move his toilet seat in front of his or hers pc.

I hear hackers already have toilet seats as their computer chair... maybe we should wish him constipation forevah instead?

Has anyone played Xsyon? I watched a video on it on youtube, it looks similar to wurm but in the early stages.

Definitely a hopeful, but things like taming and farming have taken forever (2 years or so) and the basic game play just really isn't all that engaging compared to Wurm.  The world is big at first, but then you realize you're locked in a bubble with zero planned expansion and with very little of value aside from certain resource deposits scattered here and there.  Top that off with completely lackluster architecture compared to Wurm that takes forever to randomly unlock the things you want in the first place, and you have a rather hot mess of a game which explains why I'm back here after a year or so of subbing into Xsyon.

Community is decent and the GM's are awesome though.  Just doesn't make up for the rest.

Edited by Sumdum_Takeda
  • Like 1

I hear hackers already have toilet seats as their computer chair... maybe we should wish him constipation forevah instead?

Nah I think poisoning them with a slow death is more worth it o.o who the hell DDOS attacks.....Wumr of all games >.> a community that does so well together......they should go attack FF14 instead their community SUCKS!

So, are the servers up and running? Just the login server down?

I'.m wondering....are my crops rotting?

So, are the servers up and running? Just the login server down?

I'.m wondering....are my crops rotting?

"The servers have been shut down, so Wurm-time is stopped.  Also, I hear that Rolf may have stated there will be a premium credit for the lost time."

Post 53 Page 3

Edited by Stackus

The whole internet connections of the game servers has been disabled by the isp because of the massive ddos attack. So nothing can be reached atm

not sure about the extent of the ddos but my guess is that its just some bum with a ###### bucket that fired up loic because wugic hit him hard in someway

i got an itch i cant scratch damnit i got fields to tend to walls to dig and fences to build. =(

Hardly ever since I started to play Wurm. Wish I had spent those five years here instead.
But that is offtopic.

Edited by Cecci

i hope their next turd is a reversing hedgehog.

Edited by JDBooker
  • Like 1

My sincerest condolencies to Rolf and team for having to put up with this crap.

DDOS is the lowest form of a-hattery, and it requires a special kind of EPIC ###### to DDOS an _INDY_ game company.

I am going to re-sub my priest alt for another month just to show support :)

• Like 2

Pfft, Hacker. That's just a useless script kiddy who uses the work of others to destroy the work of others.

Rolf, I have an idea for the future of the game. If this attack happened once, it could happen again. It is possible that the game would be down all weekends, and there are people who could mostly play during the weekends. The problem could be solved by moving the server to a company in a country where they do have people available 24/7, even on weekends.

For example in Hungary the infrastructure is good, the labor is cheap, so there are people available even in the weekends at companies. I know Hungary is far away from Sweden, but you don't have to travel there, you can find someone who keeps you in touch with the provider, for a lot cheaper than in Sweden.

I think this is also true for Poland, Slovakia and Czech Republic.

• Like 1

AFAIK its not the first time Wurm has been the target of a DDOS.   Not sure what else can be done to prevent it.. buts its not the first time its happened.

I dont think it will change anything, its not the first time that DoS/DDos attack occured. A year ago happend the same and it seems they didnt learn a lesson from that.

Its like Richard A. Clark said

"If you spend more on coffe than on IT security, then you will be hacked. What's more, you deserve to be hacked."

I'm really sorry to hear this is happening to you guys. We appreciate your updates and honesty and support your efforts 100% in fixing the issue. Take your time and get it right, we can wait

• Like 1

given how often many of us play..it feels like something horrible has happened to us all.  I really appreciate the updates so i know not to sit around 10 min at a time into hrs  n days waiting thinking i'll be fixed.  This helps a great deal..nothing we can do otherwise other than to be informed.  Thank you!!.  very nice to also know premium time will be reimbursed.  I feel for you and your team mushing through this ordeal.  Thank you for your commitment!!

Edited by Greasygrundle
  • Like 1

complaining doesnt solve anything. Trying to support this beautifull game is best course of action. Especially times like this.

Edited by Yafes