Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Route Blocked

For us non techies could someone please  explain?

TDC, I believe is the hosting company or ISP: http://www.tdchosting.dk/online-shop/

Its not uncommon for service providers to close up a connection that is either showing very unusual activity or otherwise hurting the entire system and slowing down other customers. A DDOS attack could very well be such a situation where the service provider would consider it safer to just shut down the trouble some connection and piss off one client rather then hurt the whole stack or building of servers (and numerous other clients).

Please stay on the line.  A representative will be with you shotrly. *Elevator music*

For those non techies a route block is a single line of configuration in a router...usually... Once their hosting company contacts their support it shout be relatively easy to rectify.

one thing i've noticed of anything wurm related...once something happens...it's never the usually happens this way...it's always the "how the f*** did that happen"...

Bummer =/

On the other hand, this gives me time to dust off the drake and grind up to level 4 SoE missions!

A real shame to hear, however I'd like to commend you on the work you've done today. From the moment I woke up I've seen you've posted it well up-to-date on what happened. Let's just hope we can get Wurm back in action ASAP.

• Like 1

An example would be while in game you type a keystroke which results in a packet of data being sent from your client along a path on the internet to the server cluster at the web hosting company.  Upstream from you is every place that packet goes prior to reaching its destination.  So, from Rolf's post apparently a point along the path is blocked due to that ISP concluding something was wrong and they reconfigured to deny packets being passed through (upstream from the hosting company).  Until that router is opened up again, no packets will route through it for that domain (wurmonline.com).

An example of a route is at this post which is the result of a traceroute command (tracert on windows).

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/82211-many-disconnects-and-reconnects-no-error-message/#entry820092

Edited by Ventrifact
  • Like 1

It means when you click to log in, your information is getting blocked from actually reaching the login server to put you in the game.

TCP is just a type of data transfer that establishes a reliable flow of data.  It's counterpart, UDP, does not guarantee delivery.  But, I think the line above this one will answer your question bretter. :P

• Like 1

TDC then we are completely screwed. No wonder there has been problems. Worst ISP in hte history of ISP's. TDC dont even know the word stability.

good thing i have starcraft and diablo...otherwise i might be mad...

That sucks.  My video game budget goes to two prem characters in Wurm.  I have nothing to fall back on.

ye its a big "fix existing problems in game" time.. no one playing it now so should be some fixes done :)

Why should anything decay ? If the server's down, time stops in Wurm right ? Not even animals you left loose can stray in a timeless environment.

It means when you click to log in, your information is getting blocked from actually reaching the login server to put you in the game.

TCP is just a type of data transfer that establishes a reliable flow of data.  It's counterpart, UDP, does not guarantee delivery.  But, I think the line above this one will answer your question bretter. :P

Not saying you're wrong, but my understanding of TCP is that it is how packets are identified when being sent around the web. While if the TCP was somehow corrupted during transfer, that packet couldn't be identified / understood, I'm not sure how that has to do with data connections being blocked.

Edit: Im not a systems admin in anyway. I just write apps.

Edited by Isosceles

wow..ridiculous....my old man is going to be pissed he just paid for his premium yesterday like an hr before crash....think its time to watch anime....maybe ill write up a history for my new deed i placed yesterday aswell...so annoying....and iw as hoping to kill Ibowmaster today...such a shame.

That sucks.  My video game budget goes to two prem characters in Wurm.  I have nothing to fall back on.

yeah suffered 2months on my toons to get them...but now it's worth every penny...

Why should anything decay ? If the server's down, time stops in Wurm right ? Not even animals you left loose can stray in a timeless environment.

the sever is running...we just can't get onto it...

Not saying you're wrong, but my understanding of TCP is that it is how packets are identified when being sent around the web. While if the TCP was somehow corrupted during transfer, that packet couldn't be identified / understood, I'm not sure how that has to do with data connections being blocked.

Edit: Im not a systems admin in anyway. I just write apps.

Hah, well I read "TDP" as "TCP" in Rolf's post and assumed the TCP packets were being blocked since it made sense.

TCP is a transfer protocol, like UDP.  The main difference being that TCP packets guarantee delivery and UDP doesn't.  UDP is much faster because it isnt connection dependent, whereas TCP is.  Basically you choose TCP over UDP when the data isnt time sensitive (you would use UDP for movement in like a shooter, time sensitive) and when you absolutely need to guarantee the packet reaches its destination, like a login attempt.

I'm going to stop explaining there.  As a fellow developer I'm sure you have the resources to learn more about it. :)  I think most people are just going to let their eyes glaze over when I start throwing acronyms out there haha.

Edited by Niclamus

Love how u guys make up stuff. Major problems don't get fixed on Mondays. I'm sure they are working on it now.

• Like 3