Sign in to follow this  
jackbeau

Zero Compensation

@ OP...Thanks man for just stating your desire and opinion. I wish more folks would only say what they want. Instead we see a lot of name calling or talking down to others. It doesn't hurt anything if someone wants to ask for SB.

Personally, I want Wurm to succeed and think that goal is achieved by making customers happy. Obviously there is a balancing point between limited development resources and changes needed to make players happy. 

Edited by joedobo

I'll just be happy when the server's up and running. This is an extremely stressful situation for any game developers. They're not just sitting around going "awesome, we get two free days of premium profits from it being down". They want it up as much as we do, maybe even more. They need to worry about the servers right now, not complaining people who can't think of anything to do while the game's down.

I must say I'm kinda glad about this server down... hear me out.

Everyone knows the bigger majority of active posters on forums tend to show mostly the bad side of the games community. But due to this server down there has been many Wurm supporters come out of the woodworks to show what wurms community is really about.

Id be glad to hear that rolf and the team doesnt have to read any of these ###### threads. 

I myself hope for zero compensation for Wurm being down...

1- It is only a game.

2- Having had businesses on and off line, sometimes it is out of our hand that we cannot serve the clients. A simple apologies is best we can do.

3- the supporters will keep supporting this game. The complainers will complain no matter what or how long the server is down.

Take whatever time is needed to get Wurm running 100%.

I agree.

Yes it freakin sucks being locked out of your favorite game over some nerd drama, but hey, ###### happens, but lots of us dont even pay for prem with real money, i just hoard referrals xD

Im just kinda upset because i was starting on a fort this weekend...well i was gonna :P

Edited by 8fl0z

I've seen several references to common law today. Is this applicable in a Swedish court of law? Swedish lawyer-speak would be completely incomprehensible to me, so Googling the answer is useless. Not trolling or anything, just curious. Here in Canada, if the server were in Quebec and the player were elsewhere, I don't think the common law system would not apply as that province uses civil law (the rest of the provinces practice common law). Just wondering if the people bandying the phrase about were Swedish law students or simply bored, ignorant players like me.

On the topic of compensation, I'm happy to see a reimbursement of premium time lost and a freeze on the servers. If I'd not been reimbursed I'd have been disappointed, but wouldn't have had a fit here. It may have had some impact on my re-subbing, but doubtful since I'm now totally addicted to Wurm.

I'm sure Rolf and the rest of the team are losing sleep over all this (as I'm gaining it from not being able to play!), I can empathize with them as I'm an ex-sysop for a school district. Seemed like every single user contacted me to tell me when the internet was down, and when would I fix it, as if I had some control over that. If there's an affordable ISP out there with zero-down time and 100% safe from DDOS attacks, it'd be great to know of them. There I go rambling off-topic again, time to kill some zombies, have a fun night all.

Its not really Rolf fault so I cant really blame him.  However if we are going to get free 5hrs of SB can we get a delay on that so we can spend our current SB.

Regardless of whether or not they are legally obligated to reimburse our money, the fact is that from a customer-satisfaction-oriented perspective, they should absolutely credit any and all premium time as well as upkeep time (if the game is actually still moving). Why do I come to this conclusion? Because it's the right thing to do from a businesses' standpoint. 

A few examples:

I pay for internet on a month-2-month basis. I pay 'x' amount of dollars every month. If, for reasons outside of MY control and through no fault of my own, the internet goes down, then my internet service provider will absolutely credit that time. Why? Because I've already paid for the time in advance, and based on a pro-rated amount, I would be owed '$95/30. . . then multiplied by the number of days without service'. Is this unreasonable? Well no, it isn't. Am I being a whiner and a crybaby or being a beggar? No, because I've already paid for something, yet didn't receive it for the amount of time I paid for it. 

Let's also say that I step into a restaurant, order a hamburger, pay for it first, and sit around waiting for it to be cooked. Then, all of a sudden, smoke starts billowing from the kitchen. Say someone had sabotaged the grill and it broke (no fault of the owner), but now the grill doesn't work and I cannot get my hamburger. Is it unreasonable for me to ask for a refund? Because, using the OP's logic, I'm not entitled to a refund since it was of no fault of the owner that someone sabotaged the grill. (stupid analogy, I know. . . but still). 

So, regardless of a reimbursement's legality, it is simply wrong for gaming company to deny a reimbursement due to downtime when subscriptions that are 'purchased' are on a month-2-month basis. Also, to the OP, Rolf seems to agree that it's best for his business to appease his customers by giving a reimbursement in game time where a reimbursement is due. 

Now, I'm not going to whine and complain about the refund, but I would've definitely asked for one had one not been offered once the servers came back online. But, I would understand it if someone DID whine about it. It is their right. 

Lastly. . . I love this friggin' game. I'm kinda' glad the game is down so that my wife and I can finally get our house clean. . . yes. . . Wurm has caused us to shirk our duties. . . . lol. 

Thanks, Rolf. 

Man jackbeau I got what you meant first time. Not sure that some of the others did. Gratz..for thinking this way ..

If the electricity company cut off your electricity that you have already paid for and deducted you a day of its use would you feel the same way and just say "oh it's just a company" "Having had a business sometimes an apology is all that we can do" "People will just keep paying for electricity".

Can you name the fallacy you using there?

One day more whithout wurm :)

Thats why i spend my time in forums :ph34r:

It is fathers day today in Finland.. no one working today B)

Regardless of whether or not they are legally obligated to reimburse our money, the fact is that from a customer-satisfaction-oriented perspective, they should absolutely credit any and all premium time as well as upkeep time (if the game is actually still moving). Why do I come to this conclusion? Because it's the right thing to do from a businesses' standpoint. 

So the way you see it, those who offer services in Wurm. Transporting goods, doing bulk business or simply provide improvements or enchanting services. In which, the agreement between those two players involve a set date. Right thing to do is to reimburse the customer in case where the agreed date was not met?

My reimbursement for the downtime will be, once Wurm is back online: Wurm is back online. No more needed.

• Like 1

One day more whithout wurm :)

Thats why i spend my time in forums :ph34r:

It is fathers day today in Finland.. no one working today B)

not sure !!!

so today we have no chance and monday all drunken thanks to the hacker who know this defently.

he hack the servers exactly on this time!

i wish this kiddy will be find and hang them directly on my deed in my cave with the head on the ground and let my rats play with him!

Edited by creed1

So the way you see it, those who offer services in Wurm. Transporting goods, doing bulk business or simply provide improvements or enchanting services. In which, the agreement between those two players involve a set date. Right thing to do is to reimburse the customer in case where the agreed date was not met?

Well, yes. . . that's correct, but with a caveat. Example, if I pay for an item via auction house or via agreement in chat (not sure how I'd pay for an item before I actually received it), then either the player should 1) reimburse the money if the goods are not delivered or enchantment not provided, etc, or 2) the player should make an attempt to come back to wherever and complete his end of the agreement. 

I'm pretty sure some leniency would be granted in this case based on the fact that there is no way the enchanting person or seller can actually deliver the goods, but if in fact the seller/enchanter doesn't either come back and do it, then the money should be reimbursed. 

Lastly, your analogy doesn't really fit given that the user didn't pay for a month's worth of service. In the case the user DID pay for a month's worth of surface mining, etc. . . then the person paying should fully expect an extended 'period' of working time based on the money paid for 'x' number of days. 

It's pretty sad to see consumers griping about other consumers wanting to get their money's worth out of what they've paid. 

I'm glad to know that Rolf agrees with me, though. . . . how does that make you feel, Raybarg?

• Like 1