Sign in to follow this  
The Moidart

Terraforming Question

Being a bit of a Wurm Noob, i'm struggling a little with the prospect of terraforming the Southern side of my deed. From the top of the hill, deed center, down to the water line, is so steep that it is almost entirely inaccessable. I'd like to turn it into something productive, perhaps farm land or orchard. At the very least, access down to the dock (Again, planned once I work it out).

I get the Flatten/Dig/Pack thing, (To a degree) just wondering how to begin. Maybe just grasping and looking for inspiration. Not sure. :huh:

Perhaps the scale of the project, size of the area etc, is just putting me off or holding me back.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Hey Moidart,

One of the best ways to start out with a hill side is to start somewhere in the mid to top area and use the flatten ability. By doing this you will actually start to lower the tile above you, and raise the tile below you. Then you can start to move along sideways as far as you want doing the same thing, thus creating a ledge to work from. If you want it lower after you have your ledge, you then go down one tile and do the same thing, it will now bring your ledge that you created down, and bring up another tile. Keep doing this untill you have an area that is more flat, or until you hit rock. If you hit rock then you move up and try it again, you always want to try and be above the rock if there is any. What this process does is just move dirt from one tile to another creating a flat area around you as you move along.

Now if you want to actually remove the dirt, I'd prob start at the bottom, create a flat spot, then use the level command and start to level the side of the hill one tile at a time, again untill you hit rock. If you hit rock then you need to move above the rock and create another tile that is flat and start to level from there. Doing this you now need some place to put the dirt as you will be actually moving the dirt. I use it to extend out into the water more to create more land.

Hope that helps some at least. Also glad you found a place :)

Screenshots would help us to give you better advices to get around ur problem.

Anyway, you should first surfacemine the rock down OR just raise dirt up on side of the mountain to make more useful space.

When you try things by yourself and play little around with different ideas, then usually u can learn a lot even if you mess it up completly.

Everytime I go to do my terraforms, I really have no idea how it will look in the end, I just go with the flow and see what happens.

First time ever when I made my 4x5 flat spot I was just amazed that I was even possible to do that.

When you first time hit your shovel to rock, then your brains start the real work :)

Your deed is almost perfect description of my deed in independence which is located on side of a hill.

Each tile on the hill is 55-80slope and to make it all 100% productive area was the biggest challange Ive had so far.

Best way to learn, is to see what others do.

Thats how I learned everything and just stepped it to the next level.

Feel free to visit me :P You could just make a new alt account in Indy and walk 30seconds south from spawn and enter my deed.

This is what a month digging and surfacemining can do.

My goal was to make Every tile useful, no tile could be sacrificed.

inblth.jpg

152gi0p.jpg

It's also good to go with what gnomegates said. Always 'recycle' the dirt.

Edited by silakka

Another question....."Some corners can't be modified"...

Something in the way, too steep?

Amongst others, trees, bushes and roads block terraforming and cause this message.

wow looking good, ambitious, we also started on lower skill on a hill like this. Ended up with digging title by the time we were done. It's fun too :=)

Good luck, and don't break too many legs