Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

The Trials And Tragedy Of Trade - A Surviverman Tale

Part One.  The Voice.

“Don’t move!†I heard, as I was pacing my ascent up the hillside.  I planted my last raised footstep and obeyed the voice.  Someone was behind me and the sound of the bowstring stretching made me all the more alert to my sudden situation.

The voice continued, “I am not particularly fond of strangers poking around my mountain.â€

I cautiously returned the greeting, “Nor am I of having a stranger’s bow drawn towards my back.â€

My hand was already clutching my longsword and I thought if he were close enough for me to hear his bow string, he might just be too close for a viable shot.  But then, I had no knowledge of his immediate position, his bow type, his motive, or anything else.  I felt pretty embarrassed at myself for even being in the predicament.  I wondered how he managed to sneak up on me in the first place.

“My name is Surviverman.  I hail from Deliverance.  I mean you no harm. I was just…â€

“Harm?†said the voice followed by a deep grunt.  “I was never worried about that.â€

Suddenly, I heard him release his arrow and I tensed my shoulders for the inevitable impact against my chainmail armor.  But at the moment when I should have felt the arrow, I rather saw a Maplewood shaft whizz by my left ear, continuing on to meet with the broad side of a wild cat fifteen paces beyond me.  The cat screamed as he turned to run towards the voice.  All I could do was stand there in an induced frozen pose as the cat raced passed me, the arrow in his side bobbing up and down with every step.  I then heard the thud of a maul strike as the cat let out a final scream and fell to the ground. 

As I listened to the quick and unseen fight, I thought to myself, “One arrow and one hit of a maul – probably a medium maul.  But then, he was wielding a bow so it could have been any maul as he obviously wasn’t using a shield.  I think not a small maul for the thud was too loud.  Two hits to down his prey meant he was very strong, but was he stronger than me?† All these thoughts filled my consciousness in a moment, and as I am in the habit of doing, I was totally distracted by my self-reasoning. 

Still facing away from the voice, I ventured to say, “It appears that I have interrupted more than your privacy this day.† I paused but no response as I heard the shuffle of feet.  I then questioned, “So, what of me?â€

“So what of you?  I suppose you pose no more a threat to me than this poor cat.  You are free to go – leave this place!â€

I carefully turned and with a slight sense of indignation I replied, “No more a threat indeed! Are you in the habit of drawing on any stranger that passes by?  Your arrow almost nicked my ear!â€

“You are the intruder both of my land and my hunt!†he said as I watched him start to butcher his prey with a most profound efficiency.  “And your ear was never my target.â€

“My apologies for the intrusion, sir.  I am new to this part of Chaos.â€

“That was all too obvious,†he said as he continued to tend to his kill.  “And what be your destination?â€

As he asked the question my mind was yet again analyzing my situation and my company.  He was of Jenn-Kellon lineage from the look of the fine tabard he wore.  His now famous bow was willow and a finely-crafted medium one at that.  The studded leather armor answered my question as to how he was able to sneak up on me.  Upon his belt was a statuette of Magranon, the deity of fighting for justice and freedom.

“Are you a priest?â€

“I be, but you have not answered my question.  What be your destination?† He stood up and stared at my medium frame.

“I am scouting, actually.  And what might your name be?â€

“I am not of a mind to tell you, Delinian.â€

“Oh,†I said.  “Would it help if I told you my blood bears the mark of Jenn-Kellon?â€

“Eye, does it now?† He stared at me intently, his eyebrows dropping as he scratched his beard and analyzed his subject from pate to pad. 

“That ye are, lad!  Be ye hungry?†he said as his temperament suddenly transformed before my eyes.

“Actually,†I said, “I could use a meal about now.â€

My new kinsman tossed me several pieces of cat meat which I skillfully caught with the blade in my hand.  I relaxed, chucked and said, “I meant a meal.â€

“Of course you did!  Carry them for me, eh?  Come this way and I will give you provision for your …â€

“Scouting trip,†I said, finishing his statement.

“And what be ye scouting for?â€

He turned and headed north through the woods as he seemed to have no care for my response.  I followed carrying the meat pressed against the guard of my sword blade.

“My brothers and I wish to expand our trade opportunities.  I am here looking for great villages that might desire to establish trade relations with us.â€

“I be no villager, I live alone.  What be your trade goods?â€

I felt kind of like I was starting to waste my time traipsing through the woods with a bow-happy Mag priest in the middle of nowhere.  I was sure Eyesgood and Theophilus my brothers would not have approved of such a distraction.  They sent me to find cities not scruffy mountain men.

“We sell enchanted tools and blacksmith items mostly.â€

“Cedrik!†I heard him say as he stopped and turned to face me.

“That be my name!  And I could use some fine tools.  Maybe we can talk over a meal and flagon of milk from old Gretel.†

He turned and continued towards what appeared to be a clearing in the woods.  As we approached I considered his quaint little homestead.  There were many tall cedar and maple trees fixed outside stone fences connected by tall iron gates.  The fences totally encircled the deed, and the trees, three levels deep, almost completely shielded the entire deed from view. Stepping through the gates I beheld a modest  eight tile house made of stone, with a fine clay-shingled roof.  A second-floor balcony fenced with parapets was situated in the northwest corner of the structure.  Attached to the east side was a three-sided wooden fence gated opposite the structure wall, wherein were several milking cows and a rather fat, aged bull.  A small fenced garden filled with various crops ready for harvest took up much of the south part of the deed.  Against the north wall were lined stone stables, each three tiles deep with low iron gates blocking several horses of various ages and colors.  Somehow, though nothing like the fortresses of my travels, the place felt hidden and safe.  In fact, I scarcely knew where I was.  We entered his home and enjoyed a rather hearty and heavy supper.

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 7

Part Two.  Cedrik’s Past.

“I like a hearty eater!†exclaimed Cedrik as he watched me indulge myself on meals and milk from his beloved cow Gretel.  I smiled and started to piece together the interesting place and person before me.  I was eating dinner with a Magranon priest who lived out in the woods, alone, with no one to help him or protect him – not that he seemed to need protection.  My curiosities got the better of me and I began to ask questions which he seemed less reluctant to share, now that his belly was as full as mine.

“So I must ask, how did you come to live out here so remote from other places?â€

“The story be a long one, but if ye be of mind to hear it I will tell you.  In fact, it would make me feel better to rehearse my tale.â€

I nodded politely, my mouth full of food.  He continued into a long but deeply interesting yarn.

“It were many years ago when I came to this continent.  I am from the old country, Jenn-Kellon, that blessed and fabled land!  Arcadia was my home on the north shore.  I can still remember the lake and the wonderful underground boat dock we created in the South-east corner of her.  None could find that place, even in the broad daylight, Ha!â€

He slammed his fist upon the table in a jovial expression of triumph.  But then as suddenly as his mood  came it went again.  With an expression of remorse he continued. 

“But one day, the ground… she started shaking across the land, so much that we could feel her quiver in the north!  Reports came in of a massive island that arose south of Jenn-Kellon!  It was the Freedom island of Independence as she is known.  Some say she was an answer from heaven!  So many lived in the old country and grew tired of war and raids.  I would have stayed and fought till my last drop of blood!  But it was not meant to be.  Those who saw the new lands as a sign of hope fled towards the south.  But I fled to the only island that could survive the catastrophe.  She was called Wild back then.  Eye, but we tamed her!  Me and all my village mates…â€

He seemed to pause at the mentioning of his mates, his eyes drifting beyond me to some far off memory.  After a few moments of contemplation, his stare was redirected down to the table, where I sat almost motionless, except for the chewing of my food.

“We came and built a stronghold here.  That was about the time I decided to invest my life in a more divine calling.  I made my trek to the white light to become a different man.â€

He stood up, walked over to the window and stared at the distant beam of light which rose up to Valrei against the night sky.  It had quickly grown dark as we ate and I listened.

I broke the silence with a childish remark, “That was an amazing story, Cedrik!â€

I did not dare tell him that I and my brothers were in that Jenn-Kellon armada that crossed over into Independence on that day.  I figured he would take me for a coward, or much more, a traitor!  Nor did I mention that I had been to Arcadia before she sank into the sea with the rest of Jenn-Kellon.  I didn’t see the need to stir him any further.  He was not the sort one would want to make angry.

“So what became of your fellows?â€

He turned to face me and walked back over to the table.  He took his chair and placed his hands upon his knees.  His countenance changed into the form of a sad old man.

“They be still here, most of them.â€

He exhaled and dropped his head, shaking it left to right in disagreement.

“I be innocent, I tell you!  Innocent!†he said as he slammed his fist upon the table.  My mother always told me never to place my elbows on the table, and I wished that I had listened.  Rubbing one with my hand, I was startled and said, “Of course!â€

“Now, you be listening to old Cedrik now and get the story from the mouth of the one who lived it!  Those traitors have spread rotten lies about me.  I was never part of the Horde!â€

I stopped chewing immediately.  “The Horde of the Summonedâ€, I thought.  I slowly chewed while carefully sliding my unseen hand towards my sword.  But Cedrik caught eye of my movement and waved his hand in a gesture of disagreement.

“Gah, don’t even…  You have nothing to fear from me unless ye be here to rob or pillage!  I tell ye, I am an innocent priest!â€

“Go on, Cedrik.  Finish your plea,†as I was immediately thrust into the roles of judge and jury.

“I left our village for the White Light early one morning.  We had completed all our defenses and my skills in combat and hunting were unmatched.  But I wanted to expand my knowledge and add to my value as a member.  Some among us took offense that I would change myself from a warrior into a priest.  They were offended that I would no longer be able to provide them with swords and shields from my smithing trade.  Others were not a little threatened that my efforts would overtake their own within the priesthood.  I did it not for fame, glory, or respect – for I had those already.  I felt it my calling at that time to become a priest!  That was my only motive.â€

He clutched his statuette.  I began to understand why, as a priest, he was so well built.  He was a mountain of a man, strong, and of great stature.  His years of smithing, hunting, and fighting had made him one of the most formidable-looking men I had ever met.  He continued with his defense as I felt comfortable enough to lean back in my chair a little.

“I heard the grumbling of a few as I left for my conversion.  But I was of mind to forgive them and I believed they would soon forgive me.  I set sail veiled in total darkness for the light which shot up above the mountain ridge.  Several hours into my journey, I noticed a row boat – identical to my own green one, heading away from me.  I only briefly picked up their names in local but I knew at once they were the Horde!  But that did not astonish me more than the name of the man in the middle of the boat.  His name was Cedrok!  I skillfully navigated away from them so as to leave their local as quickly as possible.  They never spotted me and so I continued on my quest to the Light.â€

Cedrik continued his defense as I was drawn into his tale ever more deeply.

“I made it to the White Light later that morning and it was an uneventful conversion, save for one thing.  I took ill – diseased as it were, from an animal I fought.  But more than diseased, I was wounded.  This infectious encounter laid me upon my back for two days.  I neither ate nor slept.  But happening upon a small cave, I ventured in and made myself hidden whilst I healed.  Had the fight come before the White Light, I would have suffered nothing!  But becoming a priest robbed me of my ability to tend to my wounds and so I was left to wait out my recovery.â€

I poured myself another cup of milk as Cedrik picked at his meal. 

“Eventually, I escaped into my boat and returned to my village.  But upon my return, the templars were unusually attentive to me and when one sounded the village alarm, I staggered back in utter confusion.â€

“What be this?†I cried.  I heard a few of my mates shout out, “Arm yourselves men!â€

“I turned to look about me – did I miss something?  Was a raiding party approaching?  No, it was no raiding party they shouted about.  The templars made it very clear – I was their target!â€

Cedrik looked into my eyes as one who was confused, “All I could do was run.  Like a helpless child, all I could do was run!â€

“Why did they turn on me?†I thought as I ran back to my boat as confused as ever I had been before.

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 3