Sign in to follow this  
Holar

New Maps For The Epic Clusters.. Yes Or No?

96 members have voted

1. 1. New epic maps

• Yes
    • No (explain why)

-1 No thanks to resetting anything (maps, accounts, and so on).

I shouldn't have to grind a new account or build a new deed because other people decided that they are bored.  I don't think I have to explain beyond that.

Edited by Aflacduck
  • Like 4

Do you realize that Epic has more active population just on elevation then Wild did in its hay day?  And there weren't horses lol..

Not sure how long it's been since you looked at Chaos online graphs :P

Chaos:

wurm-month.png

Elevation:

wurm-month.png

I'm not actively playing on Epic at the moment but personally the main issue I see is the mission events that alter the landscape totally screw it up; you either get a huge mountain appearing or a gigantic crater - I think it would be better for the map if instead of a huge crater with 1000 slope sides you instead got something that looked like a _real_ crater; a gradual decline that you can ride your horse through.

If a map reset happens one thing that really does need adressing are the events that make areas of the map uninhabitable; or you'll just end up with the same problem eventually.

With the current scenario terraforming events, a reset has to happen eventually.

I think that before new maps are added, we should vote for the design. I remember that this is what Notch did when designing Independence, and look how awesome it turned out.

Or maybe GMs could go over all the ruined areas and repair them.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Epic reset is going to happen, sooner or later the lands will be filled with so much topkek 800 steep holes and invincible valrei item accounts, either a reset or a new pvp cluster.

a lot of people have put a lot of time into their kingdoms in epic.  A map reset is lost workhours.  I understand new people to epic want it but what about us who have been there since the beginning two years ago.  And if it is a skill/player reset I'm done.  Put way too much time into char development to have it swiped away.  And how do you make it right to the folks who have put all that energy into making epic what it is today.  Like it or not it is this way because of the work of the ones who have been here since day one.

a lot of people have put a lot of time into their kingdoms in epic.  A map reset is lost workhours.  I understand new people to epic want it but what about us who have been there since the beginning two years ago.  And if it is a skill/player reset I'm done.  Put way too much time into char development to have it swiped away.  And how do you make it right to the folks who have put all that energy into making epic what it is today.  Like it or not it is this way because of the work of the ones who have been here since day one.

Lost workhours huh? I thought what you built in epic was meant to be lost at any moment. Isn't that what the terraforming events are for?

This is the exact issue I have with the way Epic is implemented. Eventually, a map reset is inevitable because of the events that create giant craters and ravines in random locations.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

-1 No thanks to resetting anything (maps, accounts, and so on).

I shouldn't have to grind a new account or build a new deed because other people decided that they are bored.  I don't think I have to explain beyond that.

I remember Rolf saying somewhere that Epic accounts wouldn't be reset, but the original idea for the Epic cluster was to have map/character resets every few months to keep it fresh and not stale.

Yes please. Don't forget the home servers.

I would love a full skill reset aswell, but i'll be happy with a map reset.

Reset the whole shebang. New map, no dump. Bigger map with more water. Reset everyone back to know nothing noobs and buff uniques. Planned resets every 18 months. Gets rid of super accounts and might actually make people specialize in certain crafts and work together within the kingdom to support each other instead of having the "one person is a village unto themselves" mentality.

Yeah thats something I can agree with.

I would personally want affinities to stick however. While this gives people with lots of affinities an advantage uppon a reset; it is also the ultimate reward for going out there and pvp (and being good at it! or lucky at it)

Though common resets are plain needed.

Not sure how long it's been since you looked at Chaos online graphs :P

Chaos:

wurm-month.png

Elevation:

wurm-month.png

I'm not actively playing on Epic at the moment but personally the main issue I see is the mission events that alter the landscape totally screw it up; you either get a huge mountain appearing or a gigantic crater - I think it would be better for the map if instead of a huge crater with 1000 slope sides you instead got something that looked like a _real_ crater; a gradual decline that you can ride your horse through.

If a map reset happens one thing that really does need adressing are the events that make areas of the map uninhabitable; or you'll just end up with the same problem eventually.

Does that chaos graph include or exclude f2p accounts?

Also, you don't take homeservers into count. While it's mostly carebears on them, theres also some pvp groups on them that like to go out raiding.

Makes me wonder, why not make 1 big map for epic like chaos, and allow f2p on them?

Edited by GroeneAppel

+1 I really don't mind a map reset even after putting months of work into our deed I don't really mind making a new one. Just let people disband (refund the upkeep and writ cost), get their traders back, pack their bags and make a reset. When epic came out, the newsletter said there would be map resets, well more than enough time has passed now, didn't see a single reset yet...

• Like 1

-1   and I voted no.   Id rather have a new freedom server, but even though freedom is more populated, I still think its not even needed there.

Get the new cluster merged with the old freedom cluster, wait for all the migration to settle after a couple of months, THEN start thinking about new servers, for PvE or PvP.

Basically I think its awfull timing to have this poll/discussion.

I'd be in for either the old or a new Epic map, provided that Rolf went back to designing a sandbox game, and removed the crazy land destruction events and items.  I'd still probably complain about him going from low to high fantasy, but I'd play.

I remember Rolf saying somewhere that Epic accounts wouldn't be reset, but the original idea for the Epic cluster was to have map/character resets every few months to keep it fresh and not stale.

Everyone remembers Rolf saying that there would be resets of any kind... but nobody remembers his thread that was in city hall somewhere made specifically to shut down rumors of map resets after Epic opened.

Edit: here you go http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/54651-quench-epic-reset-rumours/

Edited by MrGARY
  • Like 1

Everyone remembers Rolf saying that there would be resets of any kind... but nobody remembers his thread that was in city hall somewhere made specifically to shut down rumors of map resets after Epic opened.

Aye I remember that thread.  And the fact that so many people keep bringing up server resets years after the fact, seems to indicate that there's a substantial number of people who want server resets, even if there are no skill resets.

*shrug*  but sometimes it's hard to see what's right in front of you.

Sorry, it's the same few people bringing up the same idea every few months, not a magic "substantial" number, other wise you'd see tremendous support in front of you every time...

Sorry, it's the same few people bringing up the same idea every few months, not a magic "substantial" number, other wise you'd see tremendous support in front of you every time...

Would that be something like the current 61 to 18 ratio for new Epic maps?

In a game with thousands of premium players, you kinda really can't take less than 80 people on an easily biased/trolled/alt poll seriously.

Look at the poll, pretty sure that's the support. >_<

While I've seen this thread 3 times now, each one were new ppl saying yes/no to it. Though I have seen a few from the last polls saying yes or no too.

-1   and I voted no.   Id rather have a new freedom server, but even though freedom is more populated, I still think its not even needed there.

Get the new cluster merged with the old freedom cluster, wait for all the migration to settle after a couple of months, THEN start thinking about new servers, for PvE or PvP.

Basically I think its awfull timing to have this poll/discussion.

We are talking about the epic clusters, not freedom or wild.

And we are talking about a reset for those servers. So no new additions.

In a game with thousands of premium players, you kinda really can't take less than 80 people on an easily biased/trolled/alt poll seriously.

It's obviously up to Rolf to finnaly code an ingame poll in for prems only.

And yes if you have a prem alt, then you getting two votes is absolutely fine since you pay more.

Noticed this thread now and I'm kinda lazy at the moment to read it all.

+1

Got a couple of friend that moved to Ele, they spent two weeks to find a nice spot to set up their camp. Lots of complains about how hard is the terrain, old deeds and new deeds, or too close to others territory.

Noticed this thread now and I'm kinda lazy at the moment to read it all.

+1

Got a couple of friend that moved to Ele, they spent two weeks to find a nice spot to set up their camp. Lots of complains about how hard is the terrain, old deeds and new deeds, or too close to others territory.

That's the thing. There's plenty of open space all around on Elevation. It's not like we're all bumping shoulder-to-shoulder. HotS alone has like 95% of its land free because we only have major deeds on a mountain... 

All Rolf really has to do is fix the scenarios so that islands are actually created when the game says they are. That way the land is actually renewed over time.

Edited by Aflacduck
  • Like 1

Just expand the existing elevation land mass. Make some new islands, bays and mountains that come off it.

Updated map would be double the size and do the same for Affliction.

New Island connected to Elevation but without Local :-)

I would say when there is a player base there to support adding new maps.........

As it is now 4 islands on Epic and maybe 100 players......I do not see the need really.

Freedom has 400+players and does not have 16 islands......Only 6..

Edited by Protunia

To be fair, if you look at actual landmass, I think the numbers start to turn the other way pretty sharply.

Wild is friggin huge.  Or Chaos if you prefer.  If I remember right, Indie is the same size.  Wild and Indie might *each* both have more landmass than the entire Epic cluster.

If you are worried more about your deeds than PVP'ing, then you might be on the wrong servers.  Nothing spices up things like fresh territory, it was to have been part of Epic originally, better late then never.