Sign in to follow this  
Frodiesel

Portable Wurm Installation?

Has anyone installed the wurm client on a usb portable drive? 

Can anyone speculate on possible problems that might arise by doing this?

I want to be able to take the game client with me as I often have down time when I am around various computers that I can access. Rather than install the client locally which I would not be allowed to do is it possible to install it on a usb drive and run on any machine that has java? Or would it just be easier to install a persistent portable linux os to the usb drive and boot to that to run the client?

I plan to try it out later when i get home regardless of the response here i just want to get a discussion going about possible issues. Or perhaps hear from someone who has done/tried this and how they did it or if they were successful. Thanks for your time.

*shrug* works just fine.

The only issues I can foresee is the compatibility of the settings changing from machine to machine.

Thanks for the reply jberg. Though just to clarify when you say "works just fine" are you saying you have done it and it works, or you just don't see any reason why it wouldn't? 

The Wurm installation consists of two parts. The program and the required libs are deployed via Java Webstart. The files are downloaded and stored in a system cache and can't be easily moved to an external location.

The graphics and sound packs are downloaded to any folder you specify. This folder can be on an USB drive. This will also include all player settings and logs. The location of this folder is stored in the registry and has to be configured anytime you move to a different computer.

Another dependency is Java. Although you can install Java to an USB drive i'm not sure if Java Webstart works well if Java is located on the USB drive or if you could even configure Java to put the cache on the USB drive too.