As of the time of this post, I've played (lived in) Wurm Online for 6+ years.

One thing that always happens is the over development of "Pristine" lands.

Shorelines become paved and square, man-made islands dot the lakes and oceans, roads pop up like varicose veins, and the "natural" slopes become level jagged peaks that once held now abandoned settlements.

I believe its one of the reasons people want new servers created. That and the chance to hunt down and kill one of the special monsters "uniques". (Dragons, Giants, etc)

I've always jokingly referred to it as "The Nothing"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrG-lsrXKRM

Yes, finding that old abandoned settlement in the middle of nowhere is great. However finding the land horribly misshapen in greater degrees as you get closer to the spawn location is not.

I suggest reserving large patches of areas (large deeds) as National Parks that would be controlled by your staff (GM's, Developers, etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_parks_of_the_United_States

These lands would only be developed VERY minimally. (Road to and from, with an area for your staff to live. Like ranger stations)

Guards (both spirit and tower) would not be allowed. Access to shelter buildings would also not be allowed. (Making the hunt harder)

All special monsters "uniques" would be set to spawn in each of these locations (at very slow re-spawn rates). I'm thinking at least a month between spawns.

Note: Academies are fantastic settlements that offer guidance and support to new players. The area around the new player starting location should be a "National Park" and could be maintained by those academies. (Deed should be held by a GM and guards would be permitted here for new player protection.)

This could be implemented on new servers in the future. (Current servers could be left as is)

Doing so would allow the change to require Dragon Hide to improve Dragon armor on the newer servers while leaving it as is on the existing servers.

It of course could also be implemented on existing servers, however current Dragon Armor should be exempt from that change. (People spent a lot of money on them for their current mechanics and as such should not be changed)

I believe the mechanics described above would improve our experiences in game considerably.

Tuanta, aka Faetyl, Malyk, Bhutan, Dieb, Taken, Glitch, Tuvok, Wiki

• Like 1

-1  there are GM protected places already, the rest is up to the community to fix. 

If you want large protected areas untouched, then plop a giant deed down and just don't do anything on it anything on it. As for the Dragon armor requirements, absolutely not, it does not need to be changed at all o the materials needed to improve it.

No opinion on the academies & dragon hide, but protected pristine areas are needed. At least one on each server & NOT near the starting town;) Newbies have a hard enough time moving away from starter towns.

Edited by Ellenmarie

No national parks.

However, it would be great if steppe tiles automatically went back to steppe so people don't have to do repairs every time someone decides to deed over one.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Large deed's? It's hard enough as is as a new player to find and undeeded area to set up in maybe make own isles in server's and use those as the player protected area's ;p

Just do what we do, get the neighbours to help you convert the area into a beauty spot.  We turned a ruin infested wasteland into a beautiful maple forest within a month or two.

• Like 1