Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 45

Would have to say this crafting menu is a very awesome job! We (four of us) making a guard tower using it and it really help on reducing the tedious clicking and waiting the window to pop (in bad internet like myself).

hasn't found a bug but I think it could use a bit of tweaking:

- Queueing is not clear, maybe mouse over the buttons for 'queue one' etc

- The right hand of the crafting menu is too long, maybe allow resizing with the same behavior as inventory.

- The search feature is not clear enough.

- The recipes icon not clear enough.

- The combine icon not clear enough, I though it is kanji letters.

Elseway, again it is pretty awesome things :) !

Devs, how long can the bridge be, I would like to connect hermit island to the mainland :-) (bout erm 300 tiles)

This "News Update: Work And Progress" is an excellent feature, keeping the players informed of planned additions to the game and the progress on them. Many good additions to look forward to thus far; so thanks RedBaron_Johan for taking the time to organize and post these Updates. I know that for myself they will make the creation portion of the game more enjoyable with these new opportunities to use these features to enhance my deeds and surrounding areas, as I am sure many others will do as well.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Devs, how long can the bridge be, I would like to connect hermit island to the mainland :-) (bout erm 300 tiles)

Not a dev or anything, but I'm willing to bet there is no way we will be able to build bridges spanning 100 tiles, let alone 300.

In your case, you're probably going to have to construct a land bridge to cover most of the distance, leaving a span of 20 tiles or so submerged for the bridge.

The only reason you would need a bridge to an island is for animals and if they would just fix that issue we would not have to deal with seeing hundreds of tiles of dirt/bridges all over the place. Anything else you can haul by boat we just need a crate/load function for boats or something. for animals.

Edited by Kegan

Just tried out the crafting menu.

I'm very happy the old creation system is still available, unless i'm wrong it just feels like i have to spend loads more time dragging items into the window while rightclicking takes the same amount of clicks and probably faster to do. (Unless we get a KEYBIND: Add to crafting window). If there is a faster way already i would like to hear it... 

(No i haven't ready all the previous posts yet)

Edit:

I was just told the continue items option with this, AWESOME!

Edited by whykillme

For making individual stuff, the old menu is definitely faster.

But you can also drag entire stacks to the crafting gui and keep creating for bulk.

Any ETA on crafting UI on live? I'm sure there's a lot of people who would happily deal with a buggy one over the current situation of none at all.

Will the new crafting system also cover the improve of a item?

No, just the creation of it

Crafting menu; I too felt the loading requirement didn't feel optimal. I am guessing a problem is the Craft bench can't select stuff for you, you need to tell it exactly what to craft with. Light things like nails will be way easier to make, put 2 64kg iron bundles in UI and go. Where as heavy stuff (bricks) looks like it will require a lot of loading actions.

I also wish it was smaller. It takes up the whole window if your your using the 640x480 window.

Maybe these would be improvements?

-- Making something active (double left click, keybind activate)  and using it on a resource (right click) could load that tool and target item/group into the craft UI. Perhaps afterward refocus mouse cursor at the top the craft UI's craftable items list.  Activate tool, right click resource, click create. This load tool, resources and refocuses mouse cursor on Craft UI. A simple mouseover create does nothing so folks can continue to use old menu.

-- Craft UI should always use the heaviest item in the group first.

-- If you add more stuff to your inventory it will increase the available resources for the inventory group, but for some reason the Craft UI doesn't update its group.

-- Consider setting it up so putting a custom inventory group (the little white bags) in a craft box will use whatever craft resources are in that group. With this we could remove and add new resources without having to physically drag more things to the UI. Further, hopefully the container to container dragging will let us move items directly from bulk bin to a group. Currently items taken from a bin go into inventory topmost regardless. Although, a resource load keybind would work just as well as this.

Edited by joedobo

-- If you add more stuff to your inventory it will increase the available resources for the inventory group, but for some reason the Craft UI doesn't update its group.

I have not tested that much but if this is true then this is unfortunate i would have thought this would be in by default since you are still restricted by timers/stamina/queue.

i don't see any reason to have to drag in new "stacks" every time to the window just adding them to your inventory should refresh it in the crafting window. If we are going to do this lets do it right.    

• Like 1

NO! i think it sounds awesome, everything BUT the new crafting window, dont see any point of it and for me it will ruin the whole game play so its a -1 from me

NO! i think it sounds awesome, everything BUT the new crafting window, dont see any point of it and for me it will ruin the whole game play so its a -1 from me

you don't have to use it it is an optional thing you can keep crafting the way you do now. 

If you see no point to it, that's fine. Others do so it will be nice for them.

As for ruining the game play: as far as we have seen it won't even affect game play at all. It will just reduce the amount of mouse movement and clicks and it makes some info from the wiki available right there in the gui, but that's it.

I wonder if you've tried it?  I had no interest at all until I tried it.  For me, it's amazing, something I don't know how I would live without and I never expected to be interested. I made a sailboat and a guard tower on test and the lack of clicking and dragging was unreal.