Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Poll: Making Pristine And Release Connected To The Freedom Cluster?

Connecting Pristine and Release to Freedom Cluster?  

874 members have voted

1. 1. Is now the right time to connect Pristine and Release to the Freedom Cluster?

• Yes, we should connect them.
    • No, we should not connect them.

EDIT: Removed post content, adding this:

map.jpg

Edited by Isosceles

Clarify this for me, is there any risk involved in a non PvP server crossing, or is it merely the amount of time you have to spend sailing ?

Assuming it's only time, how does going from 'you have to start a whole new character from scratch' compared to 'spend a longer time sailing' constitute a fair exchange, or even a gradual change ?

Just time. If you get lost and cross the wrong side of a server, you could be attacked by the "server sharks", but you are warned about that long before it happens.

If a non pvp person crosses a pvp server though, they can be attacked.  Entering the chaos server means you agree to pvp.  So crossing could mean losing everything you have with you etc as well as your ability to leave the pvp server.  Since you will not have your boat.  It will be wherever you died unless they decide they want it and move it somewhere else.

So wouldn't having to risk skill-loss through death and loss of trade goods because you have to brave the dangers of PvP be a better fit for a 'gradual change' from starting a whole new character to open-server trade ?

If a non pvp person crosses a pvp server though, they can be attacked.  Entering the chaos server means you agree to pvp.  So crossing could mean losing everything you have with you etc as well as your ability to leave the pvp server.  Since you will not have your boat.  It will be wherever you died unless they decide they want it and move it somewhere else.

map.jpg

So wouldn't having to risk skill-loss through death and loss of trade goods because you have to brave the dangers of PvP be a better fit for a 'gradual change' from starting a whole new character to open-server trade ?

It isn't exaclty fair to force someone into pvp...however the graphic I made shows a way where using Chaos as a shortcut is possible for those who choose to, but would not be required.

And loss of the ability to even leave the server.  You kinda left that one out.  You can't leave it without a boat.  You know the thing you died while traveling on that is now either in the middle of the ocean or safely sitting at a pvp deed.  Either way it isn't accessible to you.  That will make things fun and interesting.  And a bit cheaper since that will be one less char to worry about prem on.

It isn't exaclty fair to force someone into pvp...however the graphic I made shows a way where using Chaos as a shortcut is possible for those who choose to, but would not be required.

How is it forcing anyone ? No-one has to make the trip if they don't want to, just as no-one has to start an alt character if they don't want to.

Now if I read your quotes correctly, it talks about discovering new routes gradually. So why not have a PvP crossing if the servers are to be joined now, and a PvE crossing yet to be discovered, maybe in a year's time ?

Besides all that, it is an opportunity to make Chaos much more meaningful by being literally central to Freedom Isles life, as opposed to some sideshow safari.

I can back having PVP and barrier islands at first, then after so many crossings are reached (or a year passes), a new route is opened.

• Like 1

How is it forcing anyone ? No-one has to make the trip if they don't want to, just as no-one has to start an alt character if they don't want to.

Now if I read your quotes correctly, it talks about discovering new routes gradually. So why not have a PvP crossing if the servers are to be joined now, and a PvE crossing yet to be discovered, maybe in a year's time ?

Besides all that, it is an opportunity to make Chaos much more meaningful by being literally central to Freedom Isles life, as opposed to some sideshow safari.

So in essence this is a masked attempt to add an extension to joining the server to the old ones? 

Why not Sharks with lasers for eyes ...

Edited by Kadore

After thinking about it more I don't think making it any harder than getting to any other server would be a good move.  But this is all conjecture anyway.  I'm pretty sure it's been said somewhere recently that rearranging the current setup isn't going to happen.

Then again, we're all bored and likely to stay that way for another day at least.  lol.  And my mother always said you might as well dream big while you're dreaming.  So no harm done I suppose. Me, I'd really like to see them rearranged so as to make the world round.   :)

So in essence this is a masked attempt to add an extension to joining the server to the old ones? 

Hardly masked as I have made my opinions and vote well known. I'm simply willing to explore compromises that fit within the original promise of uniting the Freedom Isles given that my vote is in the minority at this point.

Hey Rolf,

i know you have enough on your plate with the dos attack but i honestly didnt know when i bought preium time that there was the remotest chance of being merged (im on release).  i understand that your putting it to a vote which is a fair thing to do, but dissappointed that the other side get to vote as they dont inhabit our island and it being small would be over voted countless times as there are more of them then there are of us and it benfits them not us so should they really get to vote. not trying to irritate you as i understand theres plenty going on. if you could shed some light on the situation that would be grate.

regards 

kimothy

I didn't think Arrowhun posted with so many alt accounts.

i'm nobody's alt account, thank you very much, and I don't appreciate being seen as one, either. That kind of attitude is a big reason why a lot of people on P/R don't want to merge, and I can't blame them for it.

I like that idea. Otherwise make it so that if you die on Chaos, but your homepoint is on another server, you can choose to resurrect at your homepoint. You've still lost skills, time, and whatever items/money you had on you, but you wouldn't be stuck on the pvp server. Another alternative would be to add a spawn point on a neutral plateau on Chaos where you can wait to get a ride off. Using Chaos to separate the PVE servers is still a good idea in my opinion, but people are right that there are some considerations to be dealt with. Hence the need to plan now, and act only after the major points have been ironed out. No plan is going to be without it's faults, but as long as they get the major stuff right, the rest should fall into place without too much loss or long term harm to the game.

Hey Rolf,

i know you have enough on your plate with the dos attack but i honestly didnt know when i bought preium time that there was the remotest chance of being merged (im on release).  i understand that your putting it to a vote which is a fair thing to do, but dissappointed that the other side get to vote as they dont inhabit our island and it being small would be over voted countless times as there are more of them then there are of us and it benfits them not us so should they really get to vote. not trying to irritate you as i understand theres plenty going on. if you could shed some light on the situation that would be grate.

regards 

kimothy

How are the other servers not affected? Travel routes, trade, and the community on the older cluster is going to be just as effected as those things on the new cluster will be effected. I agree that going off the raw vote alone is probably not a good idea, but it wouldn't be a good idea even if only people on the new cluster would be allowed to vote. The reasons behind the votes need to be the key consideration, and so far, no one on the new cluster has come up with anything better than "I don't want to play in your sandbox," a position that while valid, is not going to get them anywhere in the ultimate decision. By trying to focus on how such a merger could happen with minimal impact to all, it becomes possible to pinpoint more precise concerns and create a plan and timeline that addresses them effectively rather than relying on general arguments that will never go away no matter how long you wait.

Edited by sunshadow21

Hey Rolf,

regards 

kimothy

Connect, not merge. Important distinction =)

• Like 1

i dont mean to offend anyone by what i said i just think that as an example you wouldnt put someone learning to play chess in a game against someone whose advanced it doesnt make sense. as you've prob gathered im only new, i only learned of the forum today. i have respect for the older players and understand they want a change and agree with the point someone made previous about adding in a couple of extra islands before getting to p&r that in a way accommodates everyone really.  

@ gypsy, sorry il correct that connect :)

Welcome to the forums! Also Wurm =)

The idea of more islands makes me kinda glum. The player base is already spread so thin. Has there been official word on this? I might have ignored it if there was due to said glumness.

New islands as a buffer are a possiblity, but I would be concerned about spreading out the player base even more, as others have noted. Working with what already exists needs to be looked at first to contain the amount of potential future damage. This thread demonstrates what happens when you dive into uncharted territory to deal with current problems. I'm sure the temporary situation tag sounded like a strong limiter at the time and more than sufficient to cover future damage, but clearly it did not stick nearly as well as the dev team might have hoped.

Edited by sunshadow21

I voted NO. My reasoning is i do not want players from those 2 servers infesting the freedom cluster after many, NOT ALL, had purchases multiple deeds and traders to receive a major income rate and put abuse to traders. I feel the "New server feel" ideals at the time backfired and caused for the greedy demons within many to rise up and hoard much land for their greedy desires.

Last thing I want is those greedy fools to bring their Pay To Win goods over to our legit clean effort filled servers.  

I am aware there are people on these servers that played there and even took part of such actions but as I said. They abused the system and shouldn't be able to bring such earnings back. 

Before i get ragged out- I am aware some people played there as a starting map, and for the fun of starting new. But they started there i didnt make them, my choice is as I stated, and it's my opinion. neither wrong nor right.

Edited by Meyfei

There is also nothing wrong with you guys that have this tight-knit alliance/community to boycott the new merchants on the older servers and only buy from your alliance members. I have people that i buy from that are more expensive than other players prices but i do so because either they are more reliable or i respect them as players/friends there in nothing wrong with that. 

Been following this thread quite closely. As I stated quite a few pages back, I voted no.

Be that as it may, I think the above argument is a good one. There certainly is nothing stopping folks buying from the regulars or trusted sellers and in an ideal world that, I hope, would hold true.

In reality though, lower prices generally win out, likened to the huge supermarket grinds in the late 80's and 90's.

Undercut, saturate, crush and monopolize. "Cough"...Coles/Woolworths.

Dunno though.....Maybe we're all just pissing into the wind :o

It will happen soon or it won't.

Always going to be :D  and :angry: , no matter the outcome.

or even epic connected to chaos sounds good as we have them in chat on epic why not ?