Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Poll: Making Pristine And Release Connected To The Freedom Cluster?

Connecting Pristine and Release to Freedom Cluster?  

874 members have voted

1. 1. Is now the right time to connect Pristine and Release to the Freedom Cluster?

• Yes, we should connect them.
    • No, we should not connect them.

The servers were always slated to join at sometime or another, it was always just a question of when. 

The servers were always slated to join at sometime or another, it was always just a question of when. 

Now matter how many times this has been said, none listen to it. So sad really....it's destinied to connect people just accept it and move on much like the old servers did when they were connected. It realyl doesn't change anything....we have plenty of empty land on Pristine, Release had far less so yeah lol, but still have market places and plenty of areas where new markets can be set up at no loss to the older markets like Blossom. People should just accept the linking and take your minor losses as they won't be very high if our communities stay communities and boycott, not that I will as I'll be willing to invite any merchants who want to add to my marketplace to make it boom, as well as settle in the areas around us that are still untouched after the two months of me being here so pretty sure that wouldn't hurt anyone accept maybe the wildlife, which frankly I'd prefer not to have champ trolls breaking my walls every week....like they currently do so it helps everyone in my region regardless.

btw it takes about 3 nearby villages with mine to kill a champ troll there, with 4 guard towers. Pretty sure having experienced backup wouldn't hurt in that region lol

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the one word reason that the clusters should not be merged now:

Impalong

Now granted I didn't read every single post in this thread, but I searched for "imp" and no one mentioned it.

Full disclosure: I started Wurm on Pristine and I am not affiliated with the impalong organizer (other than meeting him to link Holy Crop a few weeks ago).  I don't care if the servers are connected, but now is not the right time, so I voted no.  Here is my reasoning:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/87565-poll-1-impalong-location/

Note the lack of "Pristine" or "Release" on this poll.  That's because two months ago, the poll for linking the servers was only a glimmer in Rolf's eyes (we knew that it was coming, but not the timing).  Note that people talk about Deliverance organizer pouring his heart and soul into it.  Also note the people talking about separate impalongs dividing the community instead of bringing it together.  If the servers were connected "now" as the poll suggests, then you have the following:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/87842-pristine-impalong-at-blossom-market-nov21-dec5/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/87129-pendelton-derby-impalong/

One impalong on Nov 21 - Dec 5 in Pristine, then another one on Dec 20 in Deliverance.  If the connecting were to happen in mid December, then it could be great news of 2 impalongs to attend for me.  But that's the rosy outcome, more likely, it would end up in ugly scenarios, because we don't know when the servers would be connected.

• New cluster crafters may no longer want to offer their services at the Pristine impalong, since you could just go to the later one with higher skilled old cluster crafters
  • New cluster players may forgo going to the Pristine impalong because better skilled crafters will be available
  • Then they end up missing the Deliverance impalong because the servers were connected too late
  • Pristine organizer may decide to cancel or be coerced to cancel (I've seen the drastic changes made to his deed, and that's probably only the tip of the iceberg for the amount of effort he's put in) to avoid the next scenario
  • Deliverance impalong may not have a good turn out because everyone attended the earlier one on Pristine (I imagine he has put a lot of effort as well)

In short, the drama is not worth it.  Even leaving the poll up may negatively impact one or both of the impalong organizers.  And I think it is a spit in the face of these two individuals by Code Club AB to even put this poll up right now.  Here you have two players who put in a lot of effort to improve others' gaming experience out of their own free will, and this poll throws in uncertainty into both.  Even if the poll just sits here for the next two months, it may negatively impact the Pristine impalong.  So I think this is not the right time, I would say create the poll again in 2014.

Edit: change some wording to increase clarity

Edited by Odi

Odi, you're overreacting on that quite a bit. Aum is a very well respected member of the Pristine community, that alone will bring a pretty big outcome for their Impalong. I know I would attend if I knew anything about what said event even is lol. They're someone who is always helping out other players everytime I see them so with that being said that one will succeed without being cancelled (they've hosted other similar things before and turned out well). 

And so what if they link before the second one or before both, does it actually affect anything? Prolly not, because to go to both would be a hassle to most and they would just stick with the one they're more familiar with anyhow or make the extra effort to go to both. If they're truely there to help out others then they wouldn't care where it is or when they'd just go if they can make it as that's what helpful players do. 

As for Pristine and Release not being listed on the other one, it was likely because there was no mention of the link otherwise it would have probably been there too but I doubt the results would change much anyway since our communities are far smaller then Deli. This poll doesn't effect either of these two's events, as either way they'll still have people attend. So yes, I think you're overreacting on that.

I know I would attend if I knew anything about what said event even is lol. They're someone who is always helping out other players everytime I see them so with that being said that one will succeed without being cancelled (they've hosted other similar things before and turned out well).

I've never been to one since I only started Wurm in April, but from what I've read, an impalong is a big year end party where newbies and veterans gather for a week or two.  Veterans provide newbies imping services for free, priests gather for sermons, host organizes games and contests for all.  I'm not sure what "other similar things" meant, only events I've seen are for 70FS players taking out some uniques.  The impalong should be a server crippling event because of the sheer number of attendees.

because to go to both would be a hassle to most and they would just stick with the one they're more familiar with anyhow or make the extra effort to go to both. If they're truely there to help out others then they wouldn't care where it is or when they'd just go if they can make it as that's what helpful players do.

The key problem is your statement right there.  If the link happens before both, I believe there is a sizable chance that one of the two will be a flop.  Helpful in chat is easy since you are just staring at timers anyway.  Helpful for almost a month away from your usual tasks (assuming 2 weeks each) is going to be much harder to find.

As for Pristine and Release not being listed on the other one, it was likely because there was no mention of the link otherwise it would have probably been there too but I doubt the results would change much anyway since our communities are far smaller then Deli. This poll doesn't effect either of these two's events, as either way they'll still have people attend. So yes, I think you're overreacting on that.

Actually, there was a thread about the linking that Rolf started early this year, but no comments from Code Club AB after all the comments

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/73972-a-comment-on-joining-the-pristinerelease-servers-with-the-other-servers/

As I said in my post, it was only a glimmer in Rolf's eyes when the poll for impalong location was up.  It's just horrible timing for this poll only 2 weeks from the first impalong, with all the uncertainty in the air.  As you said, many will think it is a hassle to attend both, maybe opting to wait until the servers are linked to attend the old cluster one.

I would consider "still have people attend" a flop.  Having only 30 characters online at peak times in the same place would definitely not be as interesting as 100 characters online.  If you look at the impalong poll, people were worried about the 400 player cap on the Deliverance server.

I don't think I'm overreacting, because I'm basing my reaction on my personal observations of Blossom Market deed's changes in the past few months.  There has been a lot of work put into this, I'd estimate one player playing 4 hours a day with 3 characters would take 2 months to do it.  And that's only for terraforming and buildings, not counting planning for games, gathering prizes, stockpiling high QL materials, etc.  If I put myself in Aum's shoes, I would be really pissed off at Code Club AB right now for not letting me know about this poll possibility 2 months ago (I'm guessing Aum would not react this way from my interactions with him, but I would if I was him).  The main reason he put all this effort was so the new cluster could have an impalong too, and now all that effort could be for nothing.

I don't see the Impalongs being too effected. I would be surprised to see a linkup before the beginning of the year, and that's assuming that the devs decide to do it soon, which is not a given, no matter what the vote count is. I don't see the dev team inflicting that kind of trauma on themselves on top of the holidays; they want to enjoy the holidays as much as anyone else, and that would be a good way to ensure that they don't. Even if it did come soon enough to potentially effect either or both of these, they would still both likely do just fine; many of the crafters would be thrilled with being handed basically a month long project, and the newer players will go to whichever one is easier to get to.

I live on release and I would only vote for this is I can have a new server to play on free from others manipulations.  

Unless you play single player, they will never be free from others anything.  It seems to keep being forgotten that we didn't get a bunch of new people that came in and only settled on pristine and release.  These are the same players that are from the older servers too for the most part.  You aren't escaping anything or anyone.

No.  It will only hurt fledgling crafts

And this vote should be decided soley by the players that spend the majority of their time on release/pristine (actively playing)

Edited by iome
  • Like 2

Seems this thread has spun into the same

"ZoMg No ChEaTEr GrEedY players not allowed to play on MY SERver"

Forget the intellectual argument. F*** logic or converstion nor debate

I don't see the Impalongs being too effected. I would be surprised to see a linkup before the beginning of the year, and that's assuming that the devs decide to do it soon, which is not a given, no matter what the vote count is.

Then a simple clarification of when it will happen from Code Club AB is all that's needed.  None of this vague "The poll will be time limited" stuff.  I'd be surprised to see it before 2014 too, but I can see people acting in the various scenarios I presented.

Either way Aum is well known throughout Pristine so their event will always get people from Pristine at the least which is still a good mix of players. And since it's first it's gurranteed to get these players. I don't know anything about the other guy so he's prolly the same. Either way I don't think they'll be effected, it's a once a year event.....who would miss such a thing? not me if I'm able to go.

And for you saying people from Pristine will opt to wait on that event, good luck with that. The majority of Pristine is voting no on this simply because they don't know the old cluster. So what would make you think they'd skip a known player's event to go to one they're basically voting against seeing yet? It's not how it will be. The earlier one will get anyone who actually goes to these from Pristine and maybe Release if they care for the travel, since there was no vote on it's location from what I can tell. But for those Pristine players that are against the link, well this just shows how scared some get. Personally nothing will change other than you can trade and travel with the other cluster, nothing more. If they wanted land, they would've already made an alt to hold it until the servers are linked, which isn't the case for anyone on Pristine at least. And from my experience in Release, it was flooded with empty deeded land that spanned a whole highway's length. I couldn't find a single place to set up that wasn't pushed into the middle of an area with no resources (literally just desert). So I doubt they have to worry about losing any land either. It's just stupid to sweat over it, and the events take more then 1 person, and I'm sure they've already got help with it otherwise they wouldn't have said they'd host it. Plenty of players know and respect Aum, highly doubt they'll not get any help if needed for that.

They also mentioned before that if the poll vote majority was yes it'll likely happen with the next huge update. Not sure where I've seen that but I did see it from one of the official names on the team for Wurm. "Likely" never said guaranteed so don't take my words as saying they guaranteed it because that's not what I said. But either way it'll probably be next year anyhow, at least early January so don't sweat the events, and just go to whichever of them you feel is better for your server. I'll go to Aum's xP so they'll get my village, a couple high lvls around us, and some more newbies from around us, easily 10-15 people. To me that's still a descent number so yeah that's just one group.

Seems this thread has spun into the same

"ZoMg No ChEaTEr GrEedY players not allowed to play on MY SERver"

Forget the intellectual argument. F*** logic or converstion nor debate

ikr lol....most don't even realize the older players are what helped the newer servers grow <.< Take Acaos for example >.> he made the community map....without that hundreds of newbies would be lost and prolly quit by now

Edited by Ryamu

I say connect but at the minimum allow characters on Pristine/Release to leave via a one way portal.

I say connect but at the minimum allow characters on Pristine/Release to leave via a one way portal.

The players could easily build a giant mountain and make a tunnel blocked by a deeded door on both sides if they really wanna prevent them from joining over but good luck to those who try that lol

ikr lol....most don't even realize the older players are what helped the newer servers grow <.< Take Acaos for example >.> he made the community map....without that hundreds of newbies would be lost and prolly quit by now

Well it was Darkmalice that made the first maps just like he always does in most cases but then later yes Acoas might have been the first to make the map dump version. Either way you can almost bet he used Darkmalice's map for reference when he did make it but I guess that was not the point, lol 

Well it was Darkmalice that made the first maps just like he always does in most cases but then later yes Acoas might have been the first to make the map dump version. Either way you can almost bet he used Darkmalice's map for reference when he did make it but I guess that was not the point, lol 

Even so Darkmalice would be an older player thus same concept lol it was helped a lot by the older players so I don't get why so many are against rejoining the servers with their rightful family. Yeah it may be a culture shock to some having an open border after so long but seriously....most of these players actually came from one of the older servers at one point or another.

Even so Darkmalice would be an older player thus same concept lol it was helped a lot by the older players so I don't get why so many are against rejoining the servers with their rightful family. Yeah it may be a culture shock to some having an open border after so long but seriously....most of these players actually came from one of the older servers at one point or another.

I really don't think we have anything to worry about I think with the numbers and most the "established" players and GM's on board that it will be done but yes I agree with you.

Edited by Kegan

yeah I don't sweat the idea lol, also am one of the handful from Pristine who voted yes.

Absolutely yes. At minimum I want to be able to take my characters on pristine and move them over to exodus where my friends have set up. Really loosing interest on training all my skills over again.

I keep seeing people say that a lot of the players on Release and Prestine are actually older player, I am, than why do most of them seem to be voting no.

Let me state again im not against joining, just not now. Rolf originally said it would be several years and one hasn't gone by yet. And as far as a bunch of people rushing into the server being a problem why don't we ask those on Epic how that whole ordeal went for them.

To those people who say that only P/R people should have a say if they are to join the old servers:

Let's change the perpective a bit. Pristine and Release are the official servers, the ones launched when WURM was officially out of beta (WURM 1.0). So actually the old, pre launch servers, would be joined with the official (new) cluster. So only the people on the old servers should vote based on the logic you previously used, isn't it?

Ridiculous. True. But the other way around is ridiculously too. It's a change that would affect everyone in one way or another, so everyone should vote.

Another thing I see many people fail to understand is that we're not discussing if the merge will be done (because that was announced that will happen even before the new servers were created), but when.

So it would be nice if people would focus on their argumrnts on why (or why not now), not just why or why not.