Sign in to follow this  
Meyfei

Discussion For The "sell" Feature On Merchants And Deeds

the "SELL" feature   

17 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Remove the SELL feature completely!
    • Work with the community for a solution!
    • Other- Explain
    • I never use the "SELL" feature so... You're opinion still matters!

It has come to my attention many times, all I've seen through Freedom chat from Independence. Players losing items of fair to greater importance via the "SELL" feature. This feature is a great idea, yes. I can easily earn money now, with slightly limited gains per hour per day so I've heard, as could anyone.

But! I am here to express my concern for the safety of the players "Investments" be it time, or of greater importance their monetary investment through the purchase of silver coins, which in turn grant the ability to buy expensive items. I feel there needs to be a protection implemented before more and more players get too stressed and ultimately decide to quit and lose all they worked for because they sold something important. As things are now we do need the protection, 8 seconds to realise your selling an important item is a tight frame- Heck not always do we make the proper click because of mice cords nudging your mouse, ever accidentally click sell and not realise it, when looking at your token options? THIS STUFF HAPPENS! Selling the wrong item isn't always about stupidity, forgetfulness, or just a double click not going through, it's a multitude of things. And the protection has to be there. (I'm pretty sure the GM's wouldn't be happy after my 376th /support if I ever lost something bought silver obtained through $;P )

Why do i say this? Why am I posting my thoughts on the matter? I have a lot of reasons, many I feel would throw me off topic to long. But you would be surprised how simple the protection made for players had been in other games, and could possibly be done on Wurm through simple menu options or other ways. 

**The actions I've seen done are in game reimbursements/recreation of the item, but not always and only if the logs prove it legit on the servers side.

**The more effective efforts I had seen are- Allowing players Lock items making them unsellable, non-trade-able, in Wurms case they'd remain drop-able if you die.

**There are a few more methods of protection as well, such as a pop up warning stating the item you are selling may be important, double check immediately and try again. 1 pop up per visit to a "SELL" enabled token or merchant, and repeat the message if time last visited greater than 5minutes.

I was just thinking, we could allow the "SELL" to have a trade window and, as per the norm of wurm- We drop the items we want to sell, and if accidentally throw in something we want, at least we can take it out. once the windows closes- the items are deleted. As to not fill up any merchants with garbage.

I'll conclude this post here, I said what I could however I can't trail long with these thoughts well, but thats the gist of it. Hope we can get some idea's going and draw some attention to this. It's a great feature it gives us a source of income, and ability to earn that 5c without the need for selling half our cattle stock to a random traveller. But the risks are many.

Signed-

Meyfei the concerned.

Edited by Meyfei

Voted other.

I have only ever used the sell feature a couple times since it was implemented and have never accidentally lost anything that way.

However I understand that misclicks happen.

Adding an extra yes/no prompt to selling would feel a little too awkward.

But maybe if you had to access the sell action by going through a side menu like choosing which item to craft.

I.E.

Action 1

Action 2

Sell        > Sell

Action 4

etc

There would only be one action on that menu, but it would take minimal effort to reach and I believe is much more likely to avoid misclicks.

Once I sold my 80ql tool, while my intention was to sell animal corpse. With combination of bad luck and some lag it can easily happen. That was last time I cleaned corpses around my place by selling to token/trader. Old "burry" is much faster and much much much more secure way to clean. That 11 irons is not worth all that work and risk.

But back to possible solution:

All more inteligent games I saw have some form of "buy back" on trade points. So if player accidentally or thoughtless sell some important item, he can buy it back for the same price later.

Later can mean one hour or until next log out from game, that depends on DEVs how long they will keep temporary list of sold items.

Its the same as burning wooden stuff in forges, it happens.

I havent really heard of that many people doing it, but eh.

A display sell option could work well, any sort of buy back ect would likely create a lot more server load issues with the feature

Voted for other, as I find the issue a minor but annoying problem.  Since it is for ingame money that can be used for prem time there should be a little risk if you are careless.  Yes, it would take a lot of selling to get 10s for 1 month, but you can do it.  Besides, you can take other precautions such as putting the selling items in a satchel and remembering that the esc key will stop the action if you act fast enough.

Add an option called "display 'sell' in menus"

This, at most. I don't think it's a major concern, but removing it from the menu would be good enough imo.

I don't think a prompt every time "ARE YOU SURE?!" is a good idea - you have to assume that the majority of the time people aren't mis-clicking and so the slight annoyance of dealing with the popup for many people outweighs the great annoyance of one or two people doing it wrong.

• Like 1

I say offer a  drag and drop sell/buy back menu, so if you accidentally sell an item you didn't mean to- you have the option of getting it back.

Make it like an altar or a trade window. It allows multiple items to be sold at once, and allows you to visually confirm what you want to sell. Being able to sell more than one item at a time outweighs the minor inconvenience and added time of having to drag the items into a window.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the reason it is click timer sell is to a, make it possible to keep your item if you react.

and b, make it so it actually takes effort to get those 5c

If its just a trade window, its drag 50 things in, get your 5c, it kinda would bypass that.