Sign in to follow this  
WolvenSparky

Me Want More Dragons

Me want a dedicated unique arena where every weekend a new unique is spawned for the players enjoyment.

- The unique can not leave the arena area.

- No player can control access to the arena.

- No unique drops anything of value.

This maximizes player happiness and minimizes grief potentially imposed of players who don't give a flying..... about dragons (me).

• Like 1

^ that does nothing about the monopoly that some people have.

There needs to be even the lowest spawn rate of 1 a year or something.

• Like 1

If Rolf really isn't spawning these creatures in fear of upsetting a player driven market external to the game then that is a very sad example of the tail wagging the dog.

^ that does nothing about the monopoly that some people have.

There needs to be even the lowest spawn rate of 1 a year or something.

What monopoly exactly are you talking about?

Wurm = huge brown dragon, from what ive heard.

Where did you hear this? I can't find any reference to it...

I've seen creatures called wurms in other games which are usually worm-like monsters, but I've never seen it used as a term for dragons.

I suspect you're thinking of a wyrm?

Does anyone who has used the word "monopoly" in this thread actually know what it means?

There is a new set of dragons every time a new server opens, which has made for quite a few dragons in recent years; I'm not sure how often you want them to spawn but it's happened plenty of times recently.  Once P/R join the old servers the hides from their dragons will get more into circulation as well I suspect.

Also, imping with hide is a terrible idea: most older drake hides are exhausted making sets and so hides from the respawned drakes would far more likely go into circulation as material for the imping of the sets belonging to existing players not to make new sets for new owners.  The price of a hide would as likely rise as fall - unless you made it need a lot of hide and thus made drake basically worthless due to not being impable.  Neither way has great appeal I think.

Where did you hear this? I can't find any reference to it...

I've seen creatures called wurms in other games which are usually worm-like monsters, but I've never seen it used as a term for dragons.

I suspect you're thinking of a wyrm?

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=mI0vKhZXJqwC&pg=PA59&lpg=PA59&dq=wurm+mythical+creature&source=bl&ots=QkO1MMB3xG&sig=4T3W_FzVIKMviTb2SUUjCTdL2MA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ThV9UvK2FefRiAeAn4HgBw&ved=0CFAQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=wurm%20mythical%20creature&f=false

• Like 1

Does anyone who has used the word "monopoly" in this thread actually know what it means?

There is a new set of dragons every time a new server opens, which has made for quite a few dragons in recent years; I'm not sure how often you want them to spawn but it's happened plenty of times recently. Once P/R join the old servers the hides from their dragons will get more into circulation as well I suspect.

Also, imping with hide is a terrible idea: most older drake hides are exhausted making sets and so hides from the respawned drakes would far more likely go into circulation as material for the imping of the sets belonging to existing players not to make new sets for new owners. The price of a hide would as likely rise as fall - unless you made it need a lot of hide and thus made drake basically worthless due to not being impable. Neither way has great appeal I think.

A monopoly exists when a specific person or limited persons are the only suppliers of a particular commodity, (drake hide and scale). Monopolies are therefore a lack of economic competition to produce the good or service and a lack of viable substitute goods. Other substitutes such as moon metal are also very limited for distribution but at the same time at least somewhat viable for anyone to have a chance to get their hands in some of it if they so choose to compete for it.

No other options in the matter. Killing or spending top dollar are the only ways to obtain it.

Again I'm in no way trying to lower the value with my view, thus the reason to use hide to have to imp which as someone said would probably make it worth more but with the addition of a very low spawn rate that increase could be neutralized keeping value about where it is now... but with the added addition to also add new suits to the market.

Edited by MaurizioAM
  • Like 1

Making it so drake sets on PvE servers have to be imped with drake is terrible idea. The sets would never get used then because when you wear the stuff out fighting your gear takes a beating if your out seriously grinding fight skill and weapons. My scale used to get imped on a semi-regular basis for example. I just sold it and it was down from 80ql to 60ql on the jacket and pants. 

Without them respawning to continue to provide hides, without them being unpennable, this is a terrible suggestion.

Even with respawning certain individuals can control them still. People are pretty easy to round up for a killing as soon as a dragon appears.

Edited by Ruger
  • Like 1

What if the drake improved with time, like wine? That way players who already spent money on it wouldn't feel resentful of new dragons.

or how about stop trying to monetize everything, unless money going to development of game I think generally bad, "a fool and his money are soon parted"

Dragon's could spawn in herd's of venerable like 3 or 4 dragon's in a pack with some baby drake's so it's close to impossible too kill them all! :D

Spawn some untargetable / non-aggro  dragons that just add more flavor to the world of Wurm. If they cant be killed it wont effect the market.  Kinda odd to have a game called Wurm, but there are no wurms in it.

This is already in game btw, go path of insanity for meditation omen the imaginary dragon will follow you around and always be behind you to scare the hell out of you when you least expect it.

Always love when people say it will never happen..Rolf has explicitly stated numerous times that he DOES want uniques to respawn in the future. Latest example was in the most recent live dev chat Feb 2013 on IRC. 

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/75201-live-developer-qa-session-in-irc-thu-14th-feb-1330-1530-cet/

[20:25] <@Wossoo> Are there any plans to modify dragons, either through how they function or the valuable nature of their loot?

[20:26] <&Rolf> anyways sure, dragons will probably be able to fly one day
[20:27] <&Rolf> they should be more like smaug
[20:27] <&Rolf> but i don't think they'll burn down villages
[20:28] <&Rolf> but sure, dragons should be made more fun
[20:28] <@Wossoo> What about their loot?
[20:28] <@Wossoo> ie. drake armour
[20:28] <@Wossoo> well, hides
[20:28] <@Wossoo> and their spawn rate
[20:29] <&Rolf> the idea was always to add new uniques once we've gotten the graphics pipeline in place
[20:29] <&Rolf> and we're sort of getting there
[20:29] <&Rolf> so there will come new uniques in various forms and I guess new dragon types will be part of that

[20:29] <@Wossoo> Ahh, to all servers?
[20:29] <@Wossoo> oooh
[20:29] <&Rolf> yes
[20:30] <&Rolf> and also old uniques may pop up
[20:30] <&Rolf> anyways, that's the idea