Sign in to follow this  
Corwen

Note To Rolf

If epic server cluster ever gets reset then I'm done with the game completely.

Its the only server with decent skill gain otherwise it is an insane grind to get even a little skill.  

Buildings and towns can be rebuilt but grinding skills to decent levels should never be something a player is forced to do more than once.

• Like 1

Its the only server with decent skill gain otherwise it is an insane grind to get even a little skill.  

Buildings and towns can be rebuilt but grinding skills to decent levels should never be something a player is forced to do more than once.

Call me crazy, but I like the freedom/chaos servers because of the slower skillgain.

I agree on this, but i dont ever see devs reset all ppls skills on epic, maybe just the map. If they reset epic characters and their skill loads of ppl would quit immediatly.

Epics point was 'jump in to the pvp with scenarios and resets to keep the pvp running' wasn't it, as said in some months someone will be rolling around with 40% damage reduction against all weapons + 50% damage reduction against physical damage in general and then on top of that shield of the gone + glimmer plate.. literally even if you had 20 players hitting that player nonstop as long as he has any kind of LT weapon you can't kill him. without resets epic = as stale as it gets, especially with home servers and the fact that numbers is 90% of wurm pvp.

For example during that bl wipeout with 30-40 whitelighters versus 14 blacklighters even though the blacklighters had superior tactics and player-skill the whitelighters outplayed them with numbers.

If you are concerned about overpowered character with overpowered special weapons and items then I am sure there are solutions to this problem that only affect those particular players. Dont you dare ###### touch my skills though.

Also, nobody is "jumping into" anything the way the skill grind is. Even with skill gain twice as fast it still takes a long time grinding to build that up.

Edited by Senusret
  • Like 1

I think its time for you to take this great game and try to sell it to a real game development company.

So they can butcher it?

Some say the terraforming was too hardcore...

I say to you, it was not hardcore enough!

Epics point was 'jump in to the pvp with scenarios and resets to keep the pvp running' wasn't it, as said in some months someone will be rolling around with 40% damage reduction against all weapons + 50% damage reduction against physical damage in general and then on top of that shield of the gone + glimmer plate.. literally even if you had 20 players hitting that player nonstop as long as he has any kind of LT weapon you can't kill him. without resets epic = as stale as it gets, especially with home servers and the fact that numbers is 90% of wurm pvp.

For example during that bl wipeout with 30-40 whitelighters versus 14 blacklighters even though the blacklighters had superior tactics and player-skill the whitelighters outplayed them with numbers.

Gone probably wont stack, the resistances are generally paired with weaknesses of the same sort for the items, ect

IE if you get a physical resistance you will probably get a SEVERE vunerability to something else, and the resistance will probably only be around 20-30%.

I have a chart of quite a few of the known abilities, and they generally seem to match up that way.

Also if you get an ability that certain people deem overpowered, it will instantly get nerfed.

I do agree with your whole  valrei being awful/broke/imbalanced, fo does seem to win a ridiculous amount for having very few missions done in comparison to other gods where people do missions, apparently doing missions to move your god=your god loses fights.

Unfortunately none of what Farmerbob says would have happened would have happened because I could never code the client to support it. He lists many features that I've wanted and talked about since day one but it also needs someone to do the client side.

Once we could afford a developer we went for better animations and customization. Those things came last winter and were debugged during the spring. From my point of view it made sense to put those in before rivers that risk breaking the servers or 3D caves which is also a huge risk project.

Rolf,

I would like to say Thank You for an amazing game, I know that you likely do not here that enough especially on the forum's where we come to complain because we are passionate and in love with a great game that is such because you haven't sold out to a bigger company, and because you have worked so hard to create it in the first place....  You will never be able to please everyone but the fact that there is so much in Wurm that pleases so many is a credit to you....  Its easy for all of us to say what you should do based off of our vision, but we all forget its your vision that has brought us here in the first place and the fact you listen to us and attempt to add our vision into your game is awesome its so much more then so many LARGE company's DON'T DO!

So thank you, and I really believe that most players that love your game agree that you deserve props.... Even if you don't hear it nearly enough...

The only viable server nowadays is Chaos, The epic clusters balance is completly ruined due to the new mission reward system and the meteors/mission reward items which ruins the land.

In 6 months someone will be walking around with 50% physical damage reduction from some mission item + shield of the gone and then perhaps 3 other mission item buffs which makes your character have an almost complete immunity to every kind of weapon. and considering almost every server has been peppered with meteors 20-30% or more of blh is scenario events and elevation/jkh probably has a smaller number but still noticable.

The idea was good but the items was given too often and they were too powerful, especially since as a demigod you'll gain items no matter which god wins? Nathan got an item even though his demigod profiles ally didn't win the scenario, who knows how many items he has gotten now. Maybe a 1-5% buff/debuff, not 40-200% as it is now.

Especially since the valrei map seems to be completly random and it doesn't matter if you do 5 times more missions then any other god, libila/magranon has shared a decent balance of missions made meanwhile fo/vynora missions done is non-existant, yet fo/vynora has won 3-5? times the last year with 1 or 2 missions  which made them move done in total per scenario, libila/magranon usually has atleast 5-10 of those.

Merce,

Your view point is very Draconic, and seems to be 100% pvp focused....  Well news flash ***Extra Extra Read all about it***  A good sandbox which is what the Wurm Epic cluster is!!!!!  Is about MORE THEN PVP....

Yes your right there are players with amazing skills and ability's guess what they haven't killed me!!! Infact I may see one of these guys in my local ONCE a week?!?  There not running around home servers baby seal clubbing....  From what I understand is that they tend to fight each other *SHOCK* and that they enjoy good fights among piers with even skills???  WHAT NO WAY.....  

Honestly the way things are set up on Epic is just fine!!!  New players learn the game and develop on there Home server, some of them move onto Elevation (Typically the more bloodthirsty ones)  some of us who could survive on Elevation, have found the peaceful lifestyle on the home server to be just fine and we enjoy our farming, our teaching of the new players, our horse breeding our crafting etc to also be enjoyable things to do in the game....  And every now and then us peaceful home server vets take a sail and cause some havok....  So I really think the Epic Server is just fine and your idea to reset all the stats because the player base is not balanced is a bunch of BULL SH*T.... That would only cause a huge chunk of us to quit the game all together!!! 

There is plenty of balance on the epic server and absolutely NO need for some draconic idea like reseting all the stat's because of A single minded focus on PVP AND PVP ONLY type mentatality....

Edited by sulfurblade
  • Like 1

Hi,

Rolf, 

[...]

If you love Wurm you should think about finding it a bigger home, its like a pretty fish that's growth is being hampered by a tiny tiny fishbowl.

Cannot agree. Wurm, as it is now, isn't a game that appeals to the masses of players, it's a classical niche game. And it's quite good within its niche already.

While it surely could attract (and maybe keep, too) more players (= customers), I see no real potential with it for a game publisher or "a real game development company" - as mentioned, it's still a niche game!

And it will remain a niche game, or it will loose its soul. And most of its die-hard players.

Accepting that it's a niche game, analyzing the possibilities within this limitation, and striving to make the best of this situation is, IMHO, what is to do now. Let's try:

• Wurm could fetch maybe 10K players (a raw guess) - by far not enough for a publisher or a real game company, but by far enough for a small, agile indy team.
  • Since it's a niche game advertising has to be done very carefully - the target audience is sparse, and it doesn't make sense to throw big money out of the window to attract players that will inevitably leave after the first day (because they don't like the niche).
  • And since it's a small indy niche game, even such tries will hurt the game - masses of players coming in together, due to an ad campaign, are more than our servers can handle: both the potential new players as well as the regulars will suffer from an inadequate gaming experience. Not good.
  • Regarding this, only a slow but steady growth is desirable, with a big emphasis to player retention. So:
    • bug hunting, bug hunting and even more bug hunting at first. To keep what we have. No new features as long as the ones from the last update aren't running rock solid!
    • Carefully targeted, cheap advertisement. We don't want to overtake WoW, we want to target especially those players that might find fun in Wurm!
    • "New player experience" especially targeted to such "potential new Wurmians" - not a "dumbed down easy mode" version of the game, better a "real Wurm experience" in an a bit less hostile environment. Maybe time limited.

And on a server that can handle sudden invasions.

• New servers when needed, not as an "Ad" when the player numbers go down ... Please!
Well, that's my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

There's more, for instance the problem of PvP (beloved by Rolf) and PvE (beloved by the customers), its mutual dependencies, server stability and latency, the new prices, and much more. But this is beyond the topic, right?

I'm very sure Wurm in its current form isn't an endangered species. Given that there's a clear vision of Rolf and the team, and given that this vision is based on real Wurm life observations, and not on the selfish whining of some ppl on IRC, or in the forums.

Not hearing to your customers is a grave mistake. Having your customer telling you what to do is a deadly mistake.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Hi,

Cannot agree. Wurm, as it is now, isn't a game that appeals to the masses of players, it's a classical niche game. And it's quite good within its niche already.

While it surely could attract (and maybe keep, too) more players (= customers), I see no real potential with it for a game publisher or "a real game development company" - as mentioned, it's still a niche game!

And it will remain a niche game, or it will loose its soul. And most of its die-hard players.

I totally and utterly disagree with you completely!!!  Wurm is not a niche game!!!  40 % of MMO gamers prefer a SANDBOX, thats not a niche thats a large group that has been ignored for quite some time!!!

60% of MMO Gamers Prefer there game to have meaningful PVP....  Based on these simple demographics Wurm Epic Cluster is vastly under performing not because its a niche game, but because so many people have never heard of Wurm and the name Wurm makes you think Lemmings or some other goofy thing that has nothing to do with what Wurm is.....

Accepting that it's a niche game, analyzing the possibilities within this limitation, and striving to make the best of this situation is, IMHO, what is to do now. Let's try:

Once again your opinion which guess what every one has one and everyone also needs to urinate daily too....  

There's more, for instance the problem of PvP (beloved by Rolf) and PvE (beloved by the customers), its mutual dependencies, server stability and latency, the new prices, and much more. But this is beyond the topic, right?

PvE beloved by customers???  You mean to say PvE is beloved by the carebears on freedom!  Which mind you IS a Niche game.... As its very focused and has little to do other then building its basically a building simulator...  Where Wurm and the Epic cluster gives you a wide variety to include PvE, Crafting, PvP exploration etc. its much more then just SIM medevial building....  

So please take your narrowminded views and exit stage right you dont speak for everyone so please stop, trying to speak for everyone....

• Like 1

hi Rolf I am disabled and my wife cares for me we can never afford to pay for premium as money is to short always  I hope you don't think this is a bit much but for other members like me it would be nice to be able to ride horses and captain boats and carts not being able to hinders getting around the map fully with out getting killed so I love to see something to help the disabled player that cant afford it I still think the prices are very good but just out of our reach at this time we have no money coming in and live on food banks free hand outs witch I hate if at any time our finances change I would sign up no problem I love wurm it takes all my worries and mind off the pain of my back so I thank you for making this game and hope it goes well and maybe becomes a bestseller game for shop sales so thanks again from Stephen Collins or better known on desertion as redfive and my wife lady shaz.

ps we have made many friends around the world on here so thanks again

Edited by redfive

I totally and utterly disagree with you completely!!!  Wurm is not a niche game!!!  40 % of MMO gamers prefer a SANDBOX, thats not a niche thats a large group that has been ignored for quite some time!!!

60% of MMO Gamers Prefer there game to have meaningful PVP....  Based on these simple demographics Wurm Epic Cluster is vastly under performing not because its a niche game, but because so many people have never heard of Wurm and the name Wurm makes you think Lemmings or some other goofy thing that has nothing to do with what Wurm is.....

Once again your opinion which guess what every one has one and everyone also needs to urinate daily too....  

PvE beloved by customers???  You mean to say PvE is beloved by the carebears on freedom!  Which mind you IS a Niche game.... As its very focused and has little to do other then building its basically a building simulator...  Where Wurm and the Epic cluster gives you a wide variety to include PvE, Crafting, PvP exploration etc. its much more then just SIM medevial building....  

So please take your narrowminded views and exit stage right you dont speak for everyone so please stop, trying to speak for everyone....

Some people like to craft.  Some people like to explore and hunt.  Some people like to PVP.  Very few people like having their villages nuked from orbit by a random game mechanic.

Some people like to craft.  Some people like to explore and hunt.  Some people like to PVP.  Very few people like having their villages nuked from orbit by a random game mechanic.

Amen.

These events are the dumbest thing I've seen in this game. Remove the scenario terraforming events, or change them so they arn't so destructive. Add things like plauges, famines, or storms. That would be a lot more intersting.

Fix the valrei spawns so they don't throw people into enclosures and so they don't spam stun moves. Make the weaker valrei mobs stronger, because some of them arn't challanging enough.

Edited by Sir Arowhun
  • Like 1

all i can say is,look at wow. and what happened to eq in response to it. eq totally lost gameplay uniqueness. the game became a homgenized streamlined product to appeal to everyone it could,instead of a challenging game for the dedicated. flagship fit what you say,great game makers,terrible managers. im amazed at what they do with so little,and would rather see rolf grow instead of this product going to someone elses whims. but the first thing a company that bought this would do isnt rework the engine so much as streamline it for larger mass appeal. you really want that?

My opinion on this might be............................................................................................ Potatoez. L:)

i can see some big company getting wurm,first thing will be a card game,then plushies >:P and noone made you roll a toon on pvp bob

hi Rolf I am disabled and my wife cares for me we can never afford to pay for premium as money is to short always  I hope you don't think this is a bit much but for other members like me it would be nice to be able to ride horses and captain boats and carts not being able to hinders getting around the map fully with out getting killed so I love to see something to help the disabled player that cant afford it I still think the prices are very good but just out of our reach at this time we have no money coming in and live on food banks free hand outs witch I hate if at any time our finances change I would sign up no problem I love wurm it takes all my worries and mind off the pain of my back so I thank you for making this game and hope it goes well and maybe becomes a bestseller game for shop sales so thanks again from Stephen Collins or better known on desertion as redfive and my wife lady shaz.

ps we have made many friends around the world on here so thanks again

Stop being such a whiny little b*tch, please. You make us real cripps look bad. K, thx.

• Like 2

all i can say is,look at wow. and what happened to eq in response to it. eq totally lost gameplay uniqueness. the game became a homgenized streamlined product to appeal to everyone it could,instead of a challenging game for the dedicated. flagship fit what you say,great game makers,terrible managers. im amazed at what they do with so little,and would rather see rolf grow instead of this product going to someone elses whims. but the first thing a company that bought this would do isnt rework the engine so much as streamline it for larger mass appeal. you really want that?

Depends on who bought it.  I'd honestly love to see what Gaslamp Games would do with Wurm if their current creative talent had the right programming skills.  Clockwork Empires looks like it's going to be a damn fine game, but it's basically Dwarf Fortress Light with graphics, Steampunk, and Cthulu..

i can see some big company getting wurm,first thing will be a card game,then plushies > :P and noone made you roll a toon on pvp bob

Got no problem with PVP.  Spent a couple years on PVP servers between Wild and Epic since 2008 or 2009 or whenever it is that I first started playing with my original character.

But I have zero interest in PvMeteor

I have to disagree on this handing Wurm over to a larger company. It'll be the ultimate doom and the servers will get constantly overrun, DDoSed, changed by the new developers with filthy updates and god knows what due to it's fame. Wurm Online is fine as it is and I don't see any reason to do such major change like this in my opinion.

As long as the fish has the food, we can survive with no help needed.

Don't you dare sell Wurm to some big company. I like what Rolf is doing.

However, I don't see a problem with doing something along side Mojang. Notch could do a lot to help this game out, and I'm sure he would be willing to do it.