Sign in to follow this  
Sir Arowhun

Change To Forges And Ovens

I find it silly that people allways use forges to cook instead of ovens.

From Wurmpedia:

"Cooking. - Note: With lower cooking skill, it is better to use a stone oven for cooking, because it adds less difficulty in meals. In contrast, those with high cooking skill might prefer the increased skill gain of cooking with a forge."

Since everyone who cooks does it for skill gain (even after 100 HFC, because priests still do it for soul depth), ovens rarely get used. The change would simply be to make it so that ovens give the best skill gain, while forges allways give terrible skill gain.

Also from Wurmpedia:

"A forge will hold 7 cauldrons."

"Iron cauldron will not fit inside an oven."

I think that ovens should be changed so they can hold the same amount as forges for those that grind HFC by panfilling.

Edited by Sir Arowhun
  • Like 5

+1 maybe add difficulty through other things that are more relevant like cooking materials :P actually it doesnt go far enough to skill cooking high with an oven though

++++++, agreed. I had an oven for the sake of it, but since I extended my workshop and moved there I never bothered to build another one because the forge works well enough.
I don't really think we should be able to cook in forges at all. Ovens/Forges are easy to make so its no big deal having to make 1 of each.

Edited by AlexLong

+1 maybe add difficulty through other things that are more relevant like cooking materials :P actually it doesnt go far enough to skill cooking high with an oven though

Yeah, I think cooking and farming need an overhall so you don't panfill, but instead create a few meals with complicated ingredients. Cooking could be a lot more interesting than it is currently.

• Like 2

Yeah, I think cooking and farming need an overhall so you don't panfill, but instead create a few meals with complicated ingredients. Cooking could be a lot more interesting than it is currently.

A lot of things could be a lot more interesting than they currently are though :P

Edited by Dextrome

Aetherwalker would kill everyone if there was no more panloading XD.

Nonetheless, I agree. +1

Edited by Druidnature

I don't really think we should be able to cook in forges at all. Ovens/Forges are easy to make so its no big deal having to make 1 of each.

Maybe food could get burnt if it gets too hot, and this would happen a lot faster in forges.

Ovens are only useless because they got a fraction of the volume a forge can hold. You cannot fit 100 pans inside an oven, not even a single cauldron will do either. Fix that first and people might actually start using the bloody things outside cooking 99ql meals

• Like 1

Yes please please change this. I don't know why but this really bothers me. +1

+1 I think instead of just getting rid of the panloading, just leave that alone. Instead make it to where if you cook in an oven with like 100 or so pans, change how much ovens can hold of course, with complicated recipes you get the same skill gain or more.

Some tools that can make cooking more interesting:

Mixing Bowl, whisk, baster, chef's knife, spatula, grater, actually measuring tools. Many more also could be added, but if we keep going down this path cooking can get to 'real' for some people.

Edited by Roggeh

I totally agree. Any ideas on how (without upsetting a lot of people)?

I totally agree. Any ideas on how (without upsetting a lot of people)?

Add more recipes, instead of just the generic meal. And distinguish between the various meats being used for difficulty as well. Could be one way of doing this. Would also put some more uses to animals like pigs/chickens (and look into the amount of food they consume while you're at it)

Could add more crops as well, like beans, carrots and peas. Which could again be used in the recipes for various types of meals.

Not sure about what kinds of recipes can be used, but i'm sure there's a plethora of information on the interwebs that can be used as reference. :D

People that want to do the panfilling, can still do that with the 'easy' recipes that only needs 2-3 ingredients. If they prefer to get many small skillgains. And the ones that doesn't want to panfill can do the more elaborate recipes (according to their skill) for the larger skill gain..

Edited by Guruen

Yes, forges shouldn't be able to be used for cooking (they can nuclear heat metal in 2 minutes, food should be ruined), and cauldrons should be able to fit in ovens.

• Like 1

and with a little google search i found this page 
http://medievalcookery.com/recipes/

Loads of different recipes that could 'easily' be transferred in game :D

Oh and sausages! Make it possible to butcher intestines from pigs etc and stuff that with some meat and cook them in a cauldron or something.. than you can either eat them as cooked sausage or fry them in a pan for fried sausages..

Edited by Guruen

Maybe food could get burnt if it gets too hot, and this would happen a lot faster in forges.

While I would agree that cooking needs a revamp, I'm not interested in seeing the quoted suggestion get implemented.

As it stands, Rolf changed (greatly increased) meal decay a few of years ago, for reasons that only made sense to him. In theory, his change wouldn't have been so bad, had every village had a dedicated cook to take care of the new needs. Sure, most villages have someone who is skilled at cooking, but it is not what they specialize in, nor what they really want to be doing daily.

Rolf's decay increase happened before the nutrition system was implemented. Since the nutrition system, it has been even more imperative to have the best quality food with no damage available... for the best skillgain. Because of that, meals over at my place are being cooked daily, as 90+ql meals are seeing decay ticks in less than 24 hours, real time.

My "cook" has been unhappy with the daily chore of cooking for the past three years, and would possibly be pushed over the edge if I told him, "my bad.. I left my good meal in the forge to heat up, and like an idiot, I forgot about it. It's damaged now, so i'll be needing another one".

Long story in short: Don't add any more difficulties to meal keeping, it's already a major PITA. 

• Like 1

While I would agree that cooking needs a revamp, I'm not interested in seeing the quoted suggestion get implemented.

As it stands, Rolf changed (greatly increased) meal decay a few of years ago, for reasons that only made sense to him. In theory, his change wouldn't have been so bad, had every village had a dedicated cook to take care of the new needs. Sure, most villages have someone who is skilled at cooking, but it is not what they specialize in, nor what they really want to be doing daily.

Rolf's decay increase happened before the nutrition system was implemented. Since the nutrition system, it has been even more imperative to have the best quality food with no damage available... for the best skillgain. Because of that, meals over at my place are being cooked daily, as 90+ql meals are seeing decay ticks in less than 24 hours, real time.

My "cook" has been unhappy with the daily chore of cooking for the past three years, and would possibly be pushed over the edge if I told him, "my bad.. I left my good meal in the forge to heat up, and like an idiot, I forgot about it. It's damaged now, so i'll be needing another one".

Long story in short: Don't add any more difficulties to meal keeping, it's already a major PITA. 

Totally agree on this^^ Keeping meals is hard enough as it is :D

We always have to store our meals in large quantities to ensure that some of them aren't hit by decay. That isn't exactly doable for people who only eat ql90 meals :P

And yeah ovens should be made more useful. I'm guessing the volume restriction has something to do with making a distinction between them so that ovens shouldn't be used for smithing, but since the only way to grind hfc is by cooking in large quantities it doesn't really add up. Adding recipes of different difficulty is probably the best way to go.

• Like 1

I think the old meals should stay, because they are good for simple meals for low leveled people or people on the road. But, I think there should be new options added that give better skillgain and nutrition. Butchery could be greatly improved with the addition of a meat grinder, and maybe there could be ways to make sausages of peparoni and salami. Baking could be improved with a new cake pan for cakes,  a pie dish for pies, and maybe cookie sheets, pizza dishes, etc. Rollers could be added to roll out dough, graters could be used to grate things, and whisks to mix things together in bowls. A mortar and pestle could be added to grind things down (could also be used in alchemy sometime in the future). All these tools could be used to produce different foods that would require multiple steps, and there are almost an infinite number of things that could be added. This could be enchanced further by adding different crops to the mix.

I think there should be a brewing skill, and that it should be easy to mass produce beer, wine, and other beverages for daily consumption. Maybe these could provide a buff of some sort. If special bottles were added to store these in that didn't act like a container, maybe we could sell them on merchants and have real working bartenders. If there was some sort of buff for drinking this, people on the road would be willing to stop by to buy some. Iti would be awesome as well if these containers could be labled with papyrus, so brewers can brand what they sell. I think wine should be more of a luxery beverage that is harder to produce but give more of a buff, while beer should be easy to produce.

I think another good idea would be to add "favorite" foods and drinks for each character, and if they consume these they could get a buff of some sort (kindof like Dwarf Fortress). Of course, it would also be great if you could get some sort of buff from actually sitting in a chair and eating a meal from a table.

This site looks amazing, and I could see a lot of that working well in Wurm.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

+1 and if annoying people is a concern at least make it so ovens are as good as forges.