Sign in to follow this  
Tekari

Grand Steppe Cleanup - A Community Project

Ever wondered why the Grand Steppe in the South-East seems to get smaller and smaller?

I did. And to be honest I don't like it.

That's why I'm starting a new community project to clean up and renature the steppe.

What we're planning to do:

- getting rid of all the decaying remains of small villages scattered all over the steppe

- cutting down the small forest that don't belong to any still existing villages and deeds

- reshaping the terraformed parts so the steppe regains its natural look

- getting rid of dead end streets that lead to nowhere or to now uninhabited villages

What we're NOT planning to do:

- touching the surrounding areas of the steppe that are developed

What we need:

- a little spot to store carts, tools and catapults (1x2 or 2x2 hut)

- 2 or more carts

- 2 catapults

- several horses to pull the carts

- large signs to tell people what we're doing and point them to this thread

- people willing to help

Place and Time:

- crossroad north of Stedding Tsofu or even better on the deed of someone willing to support us

- Nov. 4th, 8pm GMT+1, I try to be there around that time or earlier so I can establish a base of operations

My ingame name is Tekari.

The steppe is a unique place just like the large tundra used to be. The tundra sadly is gone for good but the steppe can still be saved.

Let's not lose it to the generic forests and disproportionate farmlands.

HELP US TO SAVE THE STEPPE!

w4rk.jpg

Edited by Tekari
  • Like 10

People settling in the middle of it, building big trenches, and foresting the steppe should be evicted from there.   Its our ONE natural spot for hunting, it should be made to remain public and natural looking.

• Like 3

How about we wait a little for the Load feature, that will be implemented "soon"? I don't know how many walls and fences you are intending to use catapults against, but last time I was there (and every time before), the landscape was mostly littered with chimneys, beds, chests and other un-pickables. The Load feaure is intended to help us clean the latter up.

@Rathgar: Exactly my thoughts.

@Neofit: I'm pretty sure we have enough to do there so we'd better start soon. Plus I'm motivated atm which is the most important factor ;)

@san_tropez: we'll see how much we can do without interfering with the plans of the surrounding players.

i've played for 3 months now..and the stpppe was  a glorious area of rare open land supreme for hunting unadulterated by terra-forming and mish mash  squatter huts.  The first time i was taken there..with the wild howling and mobs at you at any give time...has turned from magical n majestic to now being severely  chopped by trenches or reasons i don't know...development all over the place.   The Steppe has been consumed and severely crippled on verge of ruin.

I'm glad to hear about a reclamation effort.  I'd like to see a no build overlay for this area..as one true pristine hunting ground and unique land feature.  i love the howling wind..feels violent, uncertain, battling the elements n mobs in hopes of a dinner for the village.

I'm willing to put my time n efforts into joining this project.  i look forward to reading more.

This is very necessary, seeing as the steppe north of my place has been so devastated. If you need forests cleared, let me know, my supreme hatchet, Entslayer, and myself are just itching to murder trees :D

Edited by KaiH
moderation edit

The carts and catapults have been supplied, it's looking mostly like a need for manpower now.

This is a great idea. I may not help as I am hardly playing and live on the other side of the island, having visted this steppe once I am glad someone's doing something about it, even if I am lazily on the sidelines :)

What we really need to do is plant a tiny deed in the centre with a massive perimeter. Some people will still come and dig, plant trees, build fences etc, but with no houses or deeds allowed the damage will be minimal and always repairable. Are there still deeds active in the very middle?

meh i could use some digging and woodcutting exp, message me on here with details i get on a lot less frequently now but i wouldnt mind getting on to bring back the steppe, i have been talking about its destruction for a while but i have been too far to go do something about it (plus the deeds kept popping up)

I thought this was about killing every living thing in the steppe. Well me and my friend tried that yesterday and we did good progress.

For literally cleaning the place out of ruins and whatnot's? Yeah we didnt quite do that  :P

The cleanup is going slowly because of lack of manpower.

Everyone interested should PM me here on the forum.

Is there a camp ready to accomodate people?  I just want to know if I need to take my own pan to cook, and if I can take my horse there, or should I just go walking.

We built a lil shack 1x2 and a 2x4 pen for horses. High QL food is there as well. Furthermore a forge, 3 carts, 2 catapults.

If you need anything else best bring it with you.

• Like 1

I've made some pics a few days ago. A part of this is already terraformed and this is just the first of several de-construction sites.

Especially the demolishing of fences and such with the catapult takes time since my skill is just 4,9 and  not rising (because catapult skil gain is disabled atm).

So if anyone wants to help it is best to pm me here so we can arrange a time to meet so I can put you on the house writ.

The 1st pic shows our Steppe Renature HQ:

3uqn.jpg

This is a part I already terraformed: (I hate dirtwalls! :P )

ndp0.jpg

jfhw.jpg

qgiq.jpg

If I can make it tomorrow I'll make a tour around the steppe taking screens of the several sites that need work.

Those pics actually got me annoyed.

I am so happy we've had so little destruction in the great northern forests... my favourite hunting grounds are nearly undisturbed from the day the server opened... but what's been done to the steppe is just uber STUPID.

• Like 2

but what's been done to the steppe is just uber STUPID.

It's part of the game, just as reclaiming the steppe is another part of it

true but the problem with reclaiming is it takes a lot longer than the settling part.

You need to wait til parts decay so the enclosure rule doesn't count anymore, the time to take down a fence is like 20 times more than building one etc.

And to be honest I don't think I wanna do such a project more than once. At the rate it's progressing atm I think I will need several weeks... a lot of work which can be

destroyed again in a day or two.

True    +1

Hopefully... the land rush periods are over and people see the beauty and function of the Steppe for what it is and stop killing it off.

Edited by Snowmantis

You see on that map, Autumn Twilight?

That's where me and my friends first landed down and made our deed on opening.(which the name escapes me, as we deeded it twice before selling).

The steppe used to go over the mountain into the forest... it's saddening to see that it's so small and more and more deeds build on it. 
I really hope you are able to fix it and help keep it alive, because that steppe has been a source of my gameplay for years now.