Sign in to follow this  
merce

What Everyone Wanted Of Wurm But Never Got

the only thing maybe done better in that game is the combat, all the rest is ways better done in Wurm online :P

It looks really good, but it'll never top Wurm.

I got obsessed with Darkfall back when it first came out, thought it would replace wurm completely. But sure enough I got bored of DF and slowly came back to Wurm after a year or so. Granted it made me not play wurm anywhere near as much anymore but I don't think Wurm is the kinda game you can just stop playing. Wurm has a certain charm that other games just can't seem to mimic.

This'll be the sort of game some people will go try out, maybe play it for a few months but then some of them will come back here or some will juggle the two.

Dat combat system plus terraforming is so awesome that it maybe make me forget that ugly skillcap.

Dat combat system plus terraforming is so awesome that it maybe make me forget that ugly skillcap.

Ugly skillcap? I always found it extremely lame that wurm has no skillcap... everybody's just completely the same. 

the only thing maybe done better in that game is the combat, all the rest is ways better done in Wurm online :P

The only things done better are combat, UI, graphics, tunneling and skill system you mean.

I just love how they're making a point out of being so much better than the other games they're comparing themselves to when they're not even out on the market yet. I don't think Rolf'll have to worry about their advertising until they can prove that they're better. They might pull all their promises off, but most likely not.

I think you're kind of overreacting about the comparison to other games. They compare certain single features to a certain single feature of another game yes... not the game as a whole. 

Did you just read the one part of wurm... Keep going...

Yes, they said they have an actual 3D tunneling system compared to Wurm's 2D tunneling system.. which is just, well, true...    Other than that, all they say is that they have prebuilt houses instead of dynamic houses (how does that make wurm look bad?)

Edited by Dextrome

They compared their skills system with Ultima Online, and their combat system to Mount&Blade, and the claim they did it better, thats how you know they have no idea what they are talking about.    Comparing their still non-existant game, to games that took years to BALANCE.

No offense, but the UO skillcap was never balanced or changed afaik. (I only started playing since T2A though)

Edited by Dextrome

This'll be the sort of game some people will go try out, maybe play it for a few months but then some of them will come back here or some will juggle the two.

Hmm that's what wurm is for me lol... I can't bare to play wurm more than 2-3months at a time, too boring, nothing really interesting to do or achieve.

Edited by Dextrome

Ehm lol why the hell would someone need permission to mention which games inspired their new creation? That's just absurd... 

EDIT: Actually it's even free publicity... so yeah, absurd!

It's called a trademark. Companies use cease and desist orders all the time to get other entities to stop using their names, which tend to be trademarked. No it's not absurd.even if this were mentioning Wurm in a good way, which it's not, it's drawing direct comparison as to how it is better than Wurm. That can be considered liable and slander, which is why you rarely see any other directly competing brands do this. Hell, people have been sent passive aggressive please stop using our name for your good cause we don't want to be associated with you cease and desist orders. 

Point is, if it's trademarked you need permission or be lucky enough that the company doesn't care. If the company in question doesn't want you using it then they have the legal right to make you stop, publicity be damn. 

I think you're kind of overreacting about the comparison to other games. They compare certain single features to a certain single feature of another game yes... not the game as a whole.

I'm overreacting? You've replied to every single post in the thread with negative things to say about the game. Relax ;)

But yes, I think the comparisons are hilarious. You can't say "our combat system is much better than that of xxx" when you don't even have a working combat system up for display and use yet.

• Like 1

If not this game, then the next or the one after.

Wurm's monopoly in this space will not last forever.

Monopoly? where?

"noun

1. 1.

the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.

"

Looks "ok" but I can already tell wurm is far superior for my wants, doesn't look bad though.

Yep.

Everything in wurm i want is alrdy there

Yep. Same

RIP WURM

You had a long, drawn out life

Now you are on your deathbed

your only love, Rolf-sama, on vacation

RIP

insulting and instigatory remarks is not only unintelligent, but also boring.

No one is forcing you to hang around with that attitude, if you don't like it, the door is within slamming distance.

Wurm works for those who want it this way, it's not trying to compete (it has no exclusive rights, and it's not claiming to be that either), and secondly, if it wanted to catch up, it would have. If this is what the devs/artists/creators wanted for it, then it is exactly what it should be.

The OP's linked game looks way less elaborate, and I'll keep an eye on it, but like many before, it'll be very temporary, or parallel. Different strokes...

It's called a trademark. Companies use cease and desist orders all the time to get other entities to stop using their names, which tend to be trademarked. No it's not absurd.even if this were mentioning Wurm in a good way, which it's not, it's drawing direct comparison as to how it is better than Wurm. That can be considered liable and slander, which is why you rarely see any other directly competing brands do this. Hell, people have been sent passive aggressive please stop using our name for your good cause we don't want to be associated with you cease and desist orders. 

Point is, if it's trademarked you need permission or be lucky enough that the company doesn't care. If the company in question doesn't want you using it then they have the legal right to make you stop, publicity be damn. 

Uhm, nope, trademark infringement does not really apply to this situation. But I guess I can understand the confusion.

EDIT: To make it really clear; if they called their game Wurm Online Enhanced, that would be trademark

infringement.

Edited by Dextrome

I'm overreacting? You've replied to every single post in the thread with negative things to say about the game. Relax ;)

Could you give an example of me overreacting please?

Could you give an example of me overreacting please?

^

• Like 3

Ugly skillcap? I always found it extremely lame that wurm has no skillcap... everybody's just completely the same. 

This will blow your mind:

There are people with diferent opinions than yours.

And next time, try to use multiquote in your forum warrior-ing activities please.

Mmm, i see you can buy "win" by contributing now.

"* Slightly Bigger Alignment Penalty to your Murderer

We will see when this gets out, goodluck to the devs. But I think Ill rather contribute my 100e to wurm and buy craploads of coin next week.

Uhm, nope, trademark infringement does not really apply to this situation. But I guess I can understand the confusion.

EDIT: To make it really clear; if they called their game Wurm Online Enhanced, that would be trademark

infringement.

Fun link for those interested in US Trademark law (mileage may vary by country) Link

I'm not a Trademark lawyer, or legal consul and the following is simply my understanding as explained to me in previous discussions related to the topic

TL:DR, In the US at least using your competitor's name is fair game in a commercial comparing services/products as long as you don't misrepresent or accuse them of inferior service/product.

Such as Pepsi saying "Pepsi has less/more sugar than Coke" is fine.

Pepsi saying "Coke tastes like crap because of the sugar content" is not okay.

Or, "X out of Y players preferred game 1 vs game 2" is okay.

"Game 2 sucks because Game 1 had more players that like it" is not okay.

Trademark owners might not like their products/trademarks being used in these ads, but as long as the company doing the compare doesn't cross the "slander/libel" line, the most they can usually do is complain.

In offering a competing service or product, if there is enough proof of "confusion" between the offering's name/image/logo/etc..., you run into infringement territory.

Edited by Hussars
  • Like 1

Judging by the state of their indiegogo campaign, it doesn't look like they will be getting any funding.

The only thing I can see it doing better than Wurm is the minigame way of skilling. (Although I'm sure that would get super repetitive after a while)

The combat looks horrible, as does the teraforming. The tile borders in wurm help so much. From what I can see of their teraforming system, it will be extremely inaccurate and near impossible to get nice flat surfaces.

Wurm has longevity that is tough to beat. New games aren't built to last it seems. That, in my opinion is what makes Wurm great. Knowing that if you take a break, you can come back in a years time and it will still be there for you...improved and expanded upon.

Moving stealth system... granted there was absolutely nothing before I hounded Notch ages ago  <_<

Full on thievery: pickpocketing, peek, chicanery or sleight-of-hand, etc.

• Like 1

here! that game is much better!

ARCHEAGE

if you search for your old wurm-friends then they might be here!  :lol:

Honestly, the game looks terrible. I like my Wurm, and just some "polished" up graphics paired up with a terrible mini-game crafting system won't change my opinion.

I bid you good-luck though, but perhaps you should try advertising elsewhere as you won't get very far here. Perhaps you could try Kickstarter after your Indiegogo only gets you to 5% of your 200,000 Euro goal.

• Like 2

hä? kickstarter? archeage doesnt need such thing because its in beta already and the russian and korean player are playing and loving that game. it seems you mean another game!

and why do you think that it is my game? it isnt! my game isnt finish yet and need a whole lot more time! XD

and another thing is that the thread is naming:

What Everyone Wanted Of Wurm But Never Got

in archeage there are many things which i miss in wurm. as an example: ship-fighting, flying, diving.

but i wish you alot of fun in wurm with all the bugs, disconnects etc.

Edited by Chikiza