Sign in to follow this  
merce

What Everyone Wanted Of Wurm But Never Got

Looks "ok" but I can already tell wurm is far superior for my wants, doesn't look bad though.

Looks pretty good and I may try it out.

But judging purely from the video:

The crafting mini-games look annoying as heck, seriously those are going to get old very fast, and its treating the players like children "Oh please don't get bored while chopping this tree, clickity click on the glowing dots".

"Non-Target Combat" or twitch is probably going to get really frustrating for anyone not in the northern hemisphere.

Non-grid based building is cool but the housing looked like set pieces and not customisable.

Also, don't count your chickens until they've hatched.

Edit:

Even though I rarely partake in combat and pvp in wurm, whether they do implement twitch based combat is a large deciding factor for me because it may mean that there is a large aspect of the game that I simply cannot join in on without being crushed for reasons beyond my control.

Also I checked the website and yes the buildings are 'pre-modeled' so thats one customer base that will not be leaving Wurm for this.

Edited by Alden
  • Like 1

RIP WURM

You had a long, drawn out life

Now you are on your deathbed

your only love, Rolf-sama, on vacation

RIP

• Like 5

It's good to see people have more or less moved on from the "HIGH DEF, REAL GRAFICS!!1! = good game" school of design, 

but replacing that with the "Untested, bug ridden, feature creep, it's not a game it's a concept = good game" that struggles to even create a playable product doesn't feel all that promising.

Although it does confirm my theory that Peter Molyneux was far ahead of his time.

Edited by Alden

To be honest it looks like one of those overly ambitious games that'll never get off the planning phase. I've learnt now what to look for in the videos and this one clearly says "tons of features not solved yet".

To be honest it looks like one of those overly ambitious games that'll never get off the planning phase. I've learnt now what to look for in the videos and this one clearly says "tons of features not solved yet".

i think the problem is that it doesnt seem like they HAVE a planning phase at all, but only more and more ideas, special features and epic game mechanics that no one has.....and yeah...dont forget about dreaming of an endless seamless world ;)

• Like 1

Lots of big words... I'll wait to see if it's another flop or not when they release a full gameplay video. Right now they have nothing but promises.

I feel like the Minning system and the Housing system need's more work, besides that it look's like an ok game!

Going off of the video alone:

If I were able to log in as an F2P, i'd give it a shot. You aren't selling me on it, though, until I am assured that the structure building mechanics are a lot more intricate than what is hinted at in that video. 

Minigames to gather resources is pretty lame, too.

Going off of the video alone:

If I were able to log in as an F2P, i'd give it a shot. You aren't selling me on it, though, until I am assured that the structure building mechanics are a lot more intricate than what is hinted at in that video. 

Minigames to gather resources is pretty lame, too.

It depends if the mini games are the same amount of time we currently stare at the progress bar in Wurm, I think you can disable them as well, not fanboying the game, just observations.

• Like 1

It depends if the mini games are the same amount of time we currently stare at the progress bar in Wurm, I think you can disable them as well, not fanboying the game, just observations.

No, good point.

My issue is, I dont want to wave my cursor around clicking at little points to chop a tree down. Even if it is the same amount of time involved as staring at wurm's progress bar, it's not the same amount of work. People are very vocal about the amount of clicking in Wurm, but minigame systems (like this) require much more clicking.

If we can turn that off and just have progress bars, though, that's great. 

Suggested mine games, for fishing in particular long ago. Onloy a matter of time before someone gets it right and wurm does not own any market share to hold off.

Suggested mine games, for fishing in particular long ago. Onloy a matter of time before someone gets it right and wurm does not own any market share to hold off.

Mini games are really only enjoyable for a few seconds and only work in games such as Harvest Moon where you fish for pure profit. Not in games where you fish for skill.

Edited by Aeris

Suggested mine games, for fishing in particular long ago.

And in certain circumstances, like fishing in particular, mini-games would be acceptable to me.

Depends what you call a mini-game in my view. I mean if you look at crafting in wurm, it's kind of a mini-game, except it's integrated smoothly into the main game (does not have its own mini-interface) and it doesn't have arbitrary rules that trigger a "oh, a mini-game" response.

In a serious game, I am not keen on mini-games that really announce themselves as such.

Who stares at the progress bar? its good to be able to do other things/watch videos while grinding. This game looks like it may be fun but only if the interaction is not skill based. TBH it looks like a relaxed version of wurm with better graphics but time will tell.

Eitherway, more sandbox MMO's are always good, maybe not for Wurm but for gamers. It will force all the companies to work harder than ever to be better than each other.

Edit; at some stage wurm is going to have to dump Java to rise up as a better game.  But I guess time well tell, Java has progressed 100x what it used to be back in '03. Maybe that progress will continue.

Edited by AlexLong

uhm..... is it right to use wurm as direct compare on their site btw? http://lifeisfeudal.com/Life-is-Feudal-like

WoW.................

I'm pretty sure that would have to be authorized by Rolf (or a very high staff member, if not only rolf...) and I highly doubt he/they would do that.

Don't know why, but for todays threads I'm running out of popcorns.

But, I love you all guys and girls.

uhm..... is it right to use wurm as direct compare on their site btw? http://lifeisfeudal.com/Life-is-Feudal-like

WoW.................

I'm pretty sure that would have to be authorized by Rolf (or a very high staff member, if not only rolf...) and I highly doubt he/they would do that.

Ehm lol why the hell would someone need permission to mention which games inspired their new creation? That's just absurd... 

EDIT: Actually it's even free publicity... so yeah, absurd!

Edited by Dextrome

Ehm lol why the hell would someone need permission to mention which games inspired their new creation? That's just absurd... 

EDIT: Actually it's even free publicity... so yeah, absurd!

It's not exactly free publicity, when they are trying to tell people how much better their game is than "that other one which is missing all these cool features"

The combat system is interesting except when they say it take place on instanced world so no third party can interfere or useless obstacles.. no more 'art of minehopping or stuck on trees' I guess but it does also means you can't terraform to put enemies to disadvantage.. :P I think wurm were thinking of gesture combat so that at least would similar to what this game looks good at.

Housing... meh... you can't build your own house model there, they already pre-defined.

While minigames sounds fun to craft things at first, it can quickly get tedious. Minigames only good to break the strain of say.. battles.. (eg: skyrim, fallout, ME). Make it too much like mass effect scanning planets for resources, then you make players protest. Imagine that you imp 1000 times a day in wurm and have to do 1000 minigame for it! Even if wurm accomodate 10 different minigames it won't prevent you from puking blood.

The looks of the world, not sure I like it, it looks like old-time wurm. Wurm today looks more beautiful somehow.

I would suggest devs of wurm take a look of it and monitor its progress though, to see what works and what don't works.

Edited by rosedragon