Sign in to follow this  
Frontier

Unable To Sell Items At Trader/token

I've got a stack of 40-50ql mallets I've made about a year ago to level my capentry.  They're not needed and are just taking up space.  I decide to sell them for a few irons at my deed's token.  I walk up to it, activate one of the mallets, right click the token.  To my suprise, the 'Sell' option doesn't appear.

I try another mallet, thinking maybe this one is bugged - also nothing.  I try a bunch of items at random from my inventory - still no option.

I attempt the same at a nearby Trader, same problem.

Someone in Help suggests I forage/botanize something, then try selling.  That actually does work, and i'm able to sell the woad I botanized.

I then go around the deed and pick up a few useless items and repeat the process: 

17ql spatula - works. 

36ql cloth glove - doesn't work. 

27ql bull's eye - works. 

46ql spindle - no go. 

40ql rope tool - nope.

Am i missing something?  Does it purposefully ignore random items?  Or is this a known bug?

There are only certain items that be sold to the Token, it is not all inclusive.

There is no full list, just from what you can find talking to different players. The best thing to sell is corpses, as being 100ql it is the most Iron back.

It has to be what's considered a worthless item. If you do a  get price and it says this would be worthless to a trader then the token should accept it. If it can be sold to a trader odds are you cannot sell it to the token.

It has to be what's considered a worthless item. If you do a  get price and it says this would be worthless to a trader then the token should accept it. If it can be sold to a trader odds are you cannot sell it to the token.

not true at all :P

I was under the impression that this Token Sale mechanic was implemented in part to take the load off server item databases.  I also recall Rolf implying that just about any item can be sold like this, as long as it's not some worthless byproduct like wood scraps, liquids, or bulky resources.

So that brings me back to my original question: why is it refusing 30ql gloves and 40ql mallets?  They are just item database clutter with no real player-to-player sale prospects, and thus fit the original intent of the token sale system.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/87796-money-distribution-improvements/

the original idea behind the trader system is to distribute money among players

Low quality, usually useless items can be "sold" to traders, merchants and tokens.

This system might also help keep the databases and servers clean since it motivates people to gather items lying around.

- Edit -

There are of course some types of low value items that won't be sellable, including:

Liquids,

Scraps,

Needles,

Nails,

Shards, Sand, Dirt,Clay (Shards will be instadiscardable so you can keep your mines clean instead)

I see.  So it's 1-10i per item, assuming it's not a mildly useful item.  OR it's some tool item of sufficiently useless ql, a 17ql spatula for instance.  OR a 100ql corpse, which isn't really clutter since it disappears after a few days on its own.  OR creature parts of any ql which decay over time and can now be thrown into a BSB, thus potentially reducing the database load without resorting to the Sell option.  OR shafts, pegs, they work just fine.  OR iron ore - go ahead and feed a nearby mountain to your token.  OR veggies of any ql (useless? really?) which high level farmers can mass produce to their hearts content and dump at 10i a piece without bothering potential customers.  OR bow strings of any ql, which will now put aspiring ropemakers through ropemaking school.

But a 40ql mallet? NO, that's heresy. 

*Sigh*

What can I say...  Wurm Logic mocks all of us yet again.  This system needs a lot of work, to put mildly.

I appreciate all the responses, and now consider the matter closed.

Edited by Frontier