Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Vehicle Orientation To 1 Of 8 Cardinal Direction

Set vehicle orientation to either: north, northeast, east, southeast, south, southwest, west, northwest.

This makes it easier to afk travel and is an advantage. We could balance this by requiring mind logic skills to use it.

If a player has the skill and is willing to accept the risk there is no reason we shouldn't let someone afk travel. I predict certain people will reply here with their normal response of telling others how to play. I simply remind you folks that you have the option of ping-ponging between "a" and "d" keys if you want.

• Like 1

+1, But any reason to have a skill requirement?

Edited by Fireflyb

+1 supposing you just snap to closest direction and not actually disclose the direction being faced.

+1, But any reason to have a skill requirement?

Because people like me would be against it otherwise, and even with the skillgain requirement it is iffy to me. Snapping to a specific direction to me would just be weird and unrealistic. It would also make traveling by boat a hassle, as I usually follow the curvature of the shoreline, which would be impossible if snapping to a certain direction.

Wait, you mean players don't already lock in with the compass, press X and then run down the road to get a coffee?

Edited by AnarchistRise
  • Like 2

I was just thinking there would be a toggle of sorts. Automatic snapping would not work for me either.

I sorta dont see the point.

Cardinal directions isnt really specific enough, doing it by degrees would be better(at least if you want to actually utilize the wind the best) Would also have to act just like tacking normally, preferably a bit slower the manually tacking

Wait, you mean players don't already lock in with the compass, press X and then run down the road to get a coffee?

This.

Or I don't fully understand you, can you plase explain it for blondies Joedobo?

Edited by Alec

Ctrl+A and Ctrl+D by default being bearing_left and bearing_right respectively, allowing you to flick to the nearest cardinal point either side.

i would appreciate a better way to give a vehicle the desired direction

+1

Or I don't fully understand you, can you plase explain it for blondies Joedobo?

Set cart orientation to North, push x, and while the roads still goes north you never wander off it. I get really annoyed having to ping-pong back and forth between keys "a" and "d" to keep my cart on the road. Most roads in Wurm follow one of the 8 orientation mentioned in the OP.

If you push x and take your hands off the keyboard you will almost always drive off the road. Unless you know some secret to getting your cart to go parallel to the road. I've tried holding down keys (a and d) for different time intervals with no success. I actually think the something is intentionally skipping over the perfect N,S,E,W orientations.

@ thread General

We could add other requirements like the cart must hold a high ql compass. Or even magic spells cast on the cart. 

This would also be useful for boat travel so you don't end up on another server by accident. For example, if you sail perfectly south on the western side of the map you'll never go over to Chaos.

I would really dislike the restrictions of only being able to go one of eight directions...

If snapping was used the tolerances could be set to a few degrees so you wouldn't usually notice it. Snapping using large tolerances like 20 degrees wouldn't be good.

I would rather keep the same system as it is and instead add a "snap" feature that when you key it locks you in to the closest cardinal and sub cardinal direction.   This way you can travel normaly on your deeds in the wilds. But if your on a long stretch of highway you can activate it and it will snap you the the closest N/NE/E/SE/S/SW/W/NW direction you are facing.

The only reason I say this is the fine tuning carts, and boats to a smaller degree is nighe unto impossible.

Edited by Kerwal

Honestly, I think this would be a bad idea, the game is not designed for afk travel, or for you to not have to pay attention to it, sure, having to change direction slightly can be annoying, but you are supposed to be paying attention anyways. Has to be a -1 from me

Set cart orientation to North, push x, and while the roads still goes north you never wander off it. I get really annoyed having to ping-pong back and forth between keys "a" and "d" to keep my cart on the road. Most roads in Wurm follow one of the 8 orientation mentioned in the OP.

If you push x and take your hands off the keyboard you will almost always drive off the road. Unless you know some secret to getting your cart to go parallel to the road. I've tried holding down keys (a and d) for different time intervals with no success. I actually think the something is intentionally skipping over the perfect N,S,E,W orientations.

Then -1, auto-walk is nuff in my opinion, no need for "imtoolazybumtoevenpaytheminumofattentionrequiredtotravel" stuff.

• Like 1

This would give riding on a cart a very unrealistic feeling. Why would I want to be afk while driving a cart? o.O

Edited by Yaga

I'm for it, it's not about going afk though. I just get tired of bouncing all over the road.

• Like 1

Hi,

Set vehicle orientation to either: north, northeast, east, southeast, south, southwest, west, northwest.

This makes it easier to afk travel and is an advantage. We could balance this by requiring mind logic skills to use it.

If a player has the skill and is willing to accept the risk there is no reason we shouldn't let someone afk travel.

Make it an action, like "bind [X] CENTER_VIEW" - "bind Ctrl&[X] CENTER_TRAVEL" in this way.

It should work in any kind of travel, by foot, riding, in carts and boats - you hit your key and "snap" to the nearest direction (N,E,S,W) or subdirection (NE,SE,SW,NW).

I'd not make it a requirement to have a certain Mind Logic. Why? Rather I'd wished  it to require a compass of a certain QL (30?), to make a good compass more useful. (Higher QL compasses could "snap" to NNE, SSW and such, too?)

If it would imbalance PvP, disable it on the PvP-servers ;-)

Pro: It would be more easy, during those long travels, to stand up and stretch a bit, to have a look after your cat making strange noises in the other room, or to do a phone call. Without interrupting your travel.

Con: Dangerous, like the existent auto-walking. Just a bit less dangerous - it would prohibit leaving a road. Still the road could make a turn, or a troll could ambush you.

Conclusion: A slight improvement to the gaming experience, with no obvious disadvantages. So:

Good idea, I like it, +1!

Have fun!

• Like 1

It should work in any kind of travel, by foot, riding, in carts and boats - you hit your key and "snap" to the nearest direction (N,E,S,W) or subdirection (NE,SE,SW,NW).

I'd not make it a requirement to have a certain Mind Logic. Why? Rather I'd wished  it to require a compass of a certain QL (30?), to make a good compass more useful. (Higher QL compasses could "snap" to NNE, SSW and such, too?)

Ya, I could use this for farming my fields. I still believe we need to be somewhat close to the direction we want to snap too. This will prevent weird jumping of the view point.  I'd personally not have the skill requirement either and it was more an attempt to appease people who I predicted would object.

@ Yaga, Archaed, Alec:  You'll like telling others how to play? Wurm is what you make of it, none of you have the right decide what Wurm is or isn't. If you want to play "a" and "d" key ping-pong, please keep in mind, that no one is trying to stop you.

@ thread general:  We could also use a type of snap that only works for towards the direction your traveling. Only snap clockwise when you got the "d" key down an counter clockwise when "a" is down. This in conjunction with a small snap degrees of tolaance would create a situation where the snap would be almost unnoticeable.

If the view is to jump large degree intervals, how fast should the view jump? I"m concern about people using it to change view perspective faster they you could otherwise. Solution is to use a slower snap transition speed. 

@ Yaga, Archaed, Alec:  You'll like telling others how to play?

Not at all! A "snap to cardinal directions" feature would be nice and handy - IF optional. But your OP could be understood in a way that you wanted this to be the new way of driving carts, replacing the current free movement mode. Sorry if I got your suggestion wrong.

I would NOT want the snap function to replace the current free movement of carts, but "+1" for an additional option to snap in to one of 8 directions.

Edited by Yaga

I would say 50ql compass req for the main 4 n,s,e,w and 70ql for the finer adjustments of ne,nw,se,sw.

@ Yaga, Archaed, Alec:  You'll like telling others how to play? Wurm is what you make of it, none of you have the right decide what Wurm is or isn't. If you want to play "a" and "d" key ping-pong, please keep in mind, that no one is trying to stop you.

I like to give my opinion, if you don't like it, you can choose not to read me or just ignore me. But if you choose to reply what I said, I will think that you like to read what I have to say, and then I will keep saying my opinion, while thinking that you enjoy it :lol:

Another balancing negative could be that if a mob gets close enough to initiate combat the auto walk "x" key movement is stopped. I am thinking about how the combat menu expands in manual mode when an aggressor gets close enough, that is all that it would require. 

Actively pushing the movement keys wouldn't be affected. This means it would only affect folks who are afk auto-walking.