Sign in to follow this  
Steveleeb

Render Distance Increase

Hello. 

Are there any plans to increase the max rendering distance for buildings?

Almost every inch of the coastline has settlements or abandoned settlements, while scoping for a place to start a deed, there are very many disappointments because you simply can't see what's there unless you sail right up to it, even with settings set to extreme.

Most rigs would handle the increase my fps rarely drops when im sailing the seas.

This is my first suggestion post, be gentle :)

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

i wouldn't mind an option to view further if I wanted to.  But there could be pvp unbalancing, i'm sure the pvp players can address that and respond though, it's not my thing.

The other concern would be increased server load sending you all the data for the items you now see which could add more lag on the server.

• Like 1

In case it's not well known, buildings and trees render at the same distance.  So be sure your tree-rendering setting is bumped up as far as possible.

• Like 1

Sure would be nice, as long as its an option we can change if we want, if its compulsory i'd rather do without though 

• Like 1

<delete - double post accident>

Edited by Steveleeb

So be sure your tree-rendering setting is bumped up as far as possible.

it is,

I guess we're limited by server technology

Thank you for the answer

Sending the data from the server to the client, is not a big deal. Rendering on the client is the trouble. There's already a heck load of things being loaded and rendered, increasing the range will make the low fps issues even worse.

Edited by Issle

We are not being held back by servers, but by people still playing on 10 year old laptops feeling like they will be unbalanced in PvP.

I can see no other reason not to offer longer rendering distances.

• Like 2

The users you speak of could turn down their detail settings and jack up their view distance. 

Edited by Steveleeb

(delete - double post accident)

Edited by Steveleeb

Almost every inch of the coastline has settlements or abandoned settlements, while scoping for a place to start a deed, there are very many disappointments because you simply can't see what's there unless you sail right up to it, even with settings set to extreme.

Of course the most obvious solution to the OP's issue is to use a spyglass, but that is dependant on availability and which server you are on.  I used to love going exploring and checking out buildings and creatures on the other side of a bay for example with my spyglass.

There was a thread not so long ago for making spyglasses a player crafted item... but iirc it was not met with much enthusiasm  :(

• Like 1

+1,                                

hate to sse all the banners, braziers etc before the buildings

I'm hugely for a render distance increase, especially in mountains if it's possible (nice for xanadu sized servers)

• Like 1

On 30.10.2013 at 8:19 PM, MamaDarkness said:

there could be pvp unbalancing

OMGGGG why is this always in the way of making Wurm better!!!

+1, please increase the draw distance for structures and trees.

For sure, there should be no situation, like now, when we see banners and large braziers wich are inside the building and do not see building itself.

On 11/17/2017 at 6:59 AM, Hula_Girl said:

OMGGGG why is this always in the way of making Wurm better!!!

+1, please increase the draw distance for structures and trees.

This is what stands in the way of making many things better in online situations =/
Take for example even big name mmo's like WoW, they balance things around it being fair in PvP, till they finally took a hint and have almost entirely split PvP off of PvE in the game now, was their best way to sidestep the issue...

But I digress, I +1 this, even not for the reason brought up, we're getting into an age where anyone should be able to render further, with modern tech anyway, may as well let us be able to just to make the game nicer while playing, and as stated before, if you don't want to, you can turn the setting down.

• Like 1

i'd love to empower this by saying i've been playing for blah blah years and have commited most of my posts to this section and This,  was my first suggestion thread AND, i'm still waiting.
But that'd be cheap fuel.  wouldn't it.
I believe very firmly in the need to expand the draw distance and i dearly wish bridges, weren't considered, as trees.

+1.

This would be client related as far as I know, why not make settings for people that play on decent PCs?