Sign in to follow this  
Cista

Flower Experts, Step Forward!

Has anybody had any experience with getting flowers to disperse to nearby tiles? 

I have been testing for some days now if my flowers will spread to a neighbour tile.

The wiki says "Flowers may spread to nearby dirt tiles."...  but my flowers seem unwilling to do so. 

What my flowers will do is they will create grass on the neighbour dirt tile, which is fine but not what I was hoping for. 

So I am curious as to what results others have, since the wording on the wiki implies the flowers themselves can multiply and disperse into dirt tiles.

I have also been testing if they will spread to a neighbour grass tile, but my flowers don't seem to want that either. In nature it seems to me that rare flowers often appear in "populations" in grassy areas, and therefore it looks as if they can indeed multiply after an initial (random) spawn...  but perhaps I am imagining things.

Edited by Cista

I think flowers just randomly appear on grass tiles. They don't spread to nearby tiles in any way that I have noticed.

try something like 3x3 tiles.. fill flowers on checkerboard style. So:

FGF

GFG

FGF

Where F = flower and G = grass.

try something like 3x3 tiles.. fill flowers on checkerboard style.

I am doing a 4x8 already :)

If noone has any confirmation of dispersal then we could change the wording of the wiki....

From my observation, it's that when flowers are together they're generally all of the same type. Perhaps whether or not flowers will appear in a tile is random, but the type of flower that appears is determined by what type others nearby are (and random if no others are nearby).

Isn't this how the type of tree that spawns in grass works too? I believe that's weighted by the types that are around it too.

Isn't this how the type of tree that spawns in grass works too? I believe that's weighted by the types that are around it too.

That's a good point!  

It's obvious that trees have an actual dispersal dynamic from tile to nearby tiles, although I don't know how it works exactly :)

It could be that devs used a similar algorithm with flowers.... but it could also be that flowers just appear on random tiles from a probability table.....

From my observation, it's that when flowers are together they're generally all of the same type. Perhaps whether or not flowers will appear in a tile is random, but the type of flower that appears is determined by what type others nearby are (and random if no others are nearby).

Having grinded gardening to 50, I would say there's no grouping whatsoever.

Tree's spread if a sprout is left on them when they advance to the next growth stage.

Flower's appear to be completely random. I've checked my path of love tiles etc over the years...

There appears to be a percentage chance to spawn flowers and when they spawn the type percentages look something like so: (This is just an example/guesstimate based on my observations)

• Yellow - 35%
  • Orange-red - 20%
  • Purple - 15%
  • White - 10%
  • Blue - 10%
  • Greenish-yellow - 8%
  • Light purple with varying shades of pink - 2%

Note: Spring does appear to increase the flower spawn frequency.

Tree's spread if a sprout is left on them when they advance to the next growth stage.

Flower's appear to be completely random. I've checked my path of love tiles etc over the years...

There appears to be a percentage chance to spawn flowers and when they spawn the type percentages look something like so: (This is just an example/guesstimate based on my observations)

• Yellow - 35%

Orange-red - 20%

Purple - 15%

White - 10%

Blue - 10%

Greenish-yellow - 8%

Light purple with varying shades of pink - 2%

I'm huge into doing sprouts and flowers, and Granted, I don't have the time behind me, but I can say this seems like a very good estimate. though I personally believe that white are a touch simpler to find then blue (Could be my luck though)

That is extremely interesting, and not disclosed in Wurmpedia.

Edited by Cista

I have found them to be rather random, and that some colours are less common than others.

I havent noticed that they propagate in any way.  I love planting white flowers all around, and never once a new white flower has appeared next to them, on the contrary, they will get destroyed by any tree or bush that happens to pop up on the tile.

• Yellow - 35%

Orange-red - 20%

Purple - 15%

White - 10%

Blue - 10%

Greenish-yellow - 8%

Light purple with varying shades of pink - 2%

This is very accurate, though I have noticed a higher % of white flowers than blue flowers.

• Like 1

I have tried to get white dotted flowers to spread with no luck. And the fact that trees and bushes can override flower tiles sucks. If you plant flowers that tile should stay flowers.

I could see that causing a lot of problems, though I do wish there was some way to prevent it.

I have tried to get white dotted flowers to spread with no luck. And the fact that trees and bushes can override flower tiles sucks. If you plant flowers that tile should stay flowers.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could use flowerpots to harvest flowers out of every so often to produce more flowers reliably :)? (And herbs, too)

Apparently flower pots break PvP though because my ql60 flower pots were ruined in a matter of days :(

Wouldn't it be cool if we could use flowerpots to harvest flowers out of every so often to produce more flowers reliably :)? (And herbs, too)

I'd love to see this and herb patches. (yes, Both herb pots and patches, either or work too though...)

Would be pretty sweet to be able to walk up to my blue flowers every now and then, then Pop! Got me a extra flower.

That trees take over is the natural dynamic, I like that! Or else all landmasses of Wurm would soon be covered in yellow flowers....  You have to work to keep bushes and trees from sprouting in your garden, that's just how it is :P

Personally, I've noticed more flower/mushroom spawns within Fo's Influence, but that might be my imagination.

Aeris, were you watering the flowers in your flower pots?

Yes, and it wasn't because of damage they turned into pots again. It was the update Rolf made where items off-deed "caught up on decay" that killed them. The update was a bit buggy and put decay on the pottery flower pots as if they'd been made out of clay, which decays in a matter of days. :P

Well strap me up and call me Nathan, to my huge surprise when I woke up 10 minutes ago, i notice that in on of my test areas, my blue flowers have spread from one tile into the neighbour dirt tile. I repeat, from a flower tile to a dirt tile, reproducing itself so there are now 2 blue flower tiles :)

I am not kidding! I would take a pic but for some reason I am not able to take screenshots in Wurm.  

The colonisation was orthogonal, not diagonal....   but the way I set up the zone they cannot spread diagonally. 

Now you just had me all convinced it was not possible...

Well strap me up and call me Nathan, to my huge surprise when I woke up 10 minutes ago, i notice that in on of my test areas, my blue flowers have spread from one tile into the neighbour dirt tile. I repeat, from a flower tile to a dirt tile, reproducing itself so there are now 2 blue flower tiles :)

I am not kidding! I would take a pic but for some reason I am not able to take screenshots in Wurm.  

The colonisation was orthogonal, not diagonal....   but the way I set up the zone they cannot spread diagonally. 

Now you just had me all convinced it was not possible...  it appears that the wiki is right in claiming that it can happen

Edited by Cista