Sign in to follow this  
Heboric

How To Keep Players.......not.

I bet you'd be complaining fast enough if you couldn't even get to Hota except by sailing around the chasms that had cut your Kingdom off from the rest of the map.

That said. The deed that got hammered - my ex-neighbor (they already quit) - is situated on JKH, not Elevation. They had been playing Wurm for years - since well before Epic started. Maybe the thread has now morphed into a recognition that something needs changing in many people's eyes...but the reason I started it is because they quit the game. That's what sucks the most imo. And before you or anyone else comes back with any "well bye then don't let the door hit ya on the way out", you might want to think about what happens when there are only about 30 people left playing.

Maybe that's extreme, but I'm guessing Rolf didn't feel he needed to accommodate Bashur a little hoping for a player influx because he's been getting so many new players his accountants are busy pricing bigger servers as I type.

To me - faithful players simply giving up and leaving is not a good sign.

YMMV.

Nah I didn't complain actually and the scenario you described already occurred, I got my shovel out and made a bridge. I guess I could have rage quit... lol. Your friend went to epic then complained about EPIC events... Sounds like a temper tantrum, exactly the kind of thing that game play should not be changed over.

• Like 1

Hmm? As far as I understood, the main thing that's "easier" is the doubled skill gain and curve, not increased speed for other things. You might be able to make higher quality tools sooner but freedom has been around for many years longer than epic so it's not like they're in short supply there if you want to buy them. You can get the skill to reduce the timers a bit faster but chances are if you're dumping hundreds of hours into something your skill is going to be relatively high regardless if you're on freedom or not. However stamina is much easier to get on freedom and it helps out a lot to speed up productivity since it'll significantly reduced the additional time on queued actions. So I wouldn't really say that building up a large village is that much, if any, faster than it is on freedom. There's just less grinding for skill on epic.

Regardless it's not that we want things more permanent. We'd just rather not have our work completely nuked with no way to realistically defend ourselves from it at the whim of the RNG.

There are many things that make the epic cluster unique. It's not just the silly terraforming events and I'm pretty sure very few if any are specifically on it for them. I don't think they should be removed since they do add a bit of an interesting and dynamic element to the epic cluster but there should be a much wider range on how devastating the events are and the more damaging ones should be rare and/or limited to being the result of Wurm winning. The typical terraforming events shouldn't cause more damage than what would take a decent sized group a week or so of repair work to fix/clean up. It'd also be neat if rather than being an instant thing it'd be more interactive spawning missions for the losing gods to protect their servers reducing the scope of the damage or maybe a chance to try and divert the effects away from deeds.

The events are all fixable with a little work, granted complaining is easier than fixing them.

Edited by Suntzu
  • Like 1

The events are all fixable with a little work, granted complaining is easier than fixing them.

quote me the complain of the guy whos deed got hit pls ........

Now i don't play on Epic (this being one of the reasons why), but i think these events should not affect deed tiles you paid for, simple as that. They could still happen, and a chasm right outside your perimeter should be annoying / interesting enough imo.

Of course people get pissed off when their hard work gets destroyed, regardless of being informed about it or not.

That being said it does look kinda awesome though. =)

• Like 1

Why not just remake the map every year or two, wasn't that the idea of epic to begin with?

Players get mad when a game quickly destroys something which player(s) have put lots of effort into making and its very time consuming to fix/replace. I'd think players choose Epic to compete against other players, not spend months fixing computer AI initiated random damage.

I wonder if Wurm will ever learn that choice is good. And I'm talking about more choices then, "play as is or quit".

Why not just remake the map every year or two, wasn't that the idea of epic to begin with?

why not all live in wooden sheds, isnt that enough to use as base ?

ITT: Freedomers telling Epic players how to play.  If It makes you feel better, at least you all have Rolf's ear.

If that was directed in any way at me, I don't know you, and you certainly don't know me.  I played this game for years before Rolf broke it with meteors, on the pre-Freedom JK Home and MR Home, on Indi and Deli, on Wild, and on three of the Epic servers.  When I quit I was building a 30x30ish deed on the Epic MR home with three Templars and maintaining a 30x30ish deed on Deli with a trader, two merchants, and one templar.  Three paid accounts, and I was buying silver regularly from Rolf.  At one point I bought one of the highest skill characters in the game for 600E, and later resold it for the same when I realized that it just wasn't the same as having a character I built myself

Other people certainly spent a lot more time and money on Wurm than I did, but I put my time and money in, on PVE and PVP servers.

I'd do it again too, if we can get away from PVMeteor, high fantasy junk, and broken priests.  Wurm will always be fond memories for me, but it'll always be low fantasy in my good memories.

I would absolutely love an Epic skill curve Blitz server, three months or so per reset, no Valrei related stuff, no artifacts, priests turned into playable characters, enchantment crafters with the ability to build and maintain some basic buldings and structures at least, rather than leaving them the cast-every-five-minute-lock-devouring alts that they have been for as long as I can remember.

The most fun I ever had in Wurm was the first couple months in Epic.  I've heard many others agree with me on this.  So why not make it a cyclical event where we can recreate the environment that we enjoy the most, every few months.

Marketing Rolf, marketing.

Actually, some of the best fun I had in Wurm was when most of us were living in caves and crappy quality buildings in the first two months of Epic.

You could occasionally find actual useable items of value in crappy little wooden shacks that you would break into with a carving knife.

So, even though you were trying to be sarcastic, what you say has a ring of truth to it for some of us.

epic needs more epic events imo.

Well said like a true epic player.

I thought Epic was a roleplaying PvP land. In Homeric epics the gods always had a reason to interfere in human events. Surely there was a reason given for a meteor strike on a specific village. The acts of the gods are always well recorded by their priests so that they may teach their followers the way of the gods. If a village has failed their  god then you can see why the god destroyed them. But I have heard no story and so the god teaches no lesson. Gods should have a reason for acting the way they do, and the people should know the reason.  Randomness is not god like.

I thought Epic was a roleplaying PvP land. In Homeric epics the gods always had a reason to interfere in human events. Surely there was a reason given for a meteor strike on a specific village. The acts of the gods are always well recorded by their priests so that they may teach their followers the way of the gods. If a village has failed their  god then you can see why the god destroyed them. But I have heard no story and so the god teaches no lesson. Gods should have a reason for acting the way they do, and the people should know the reason.  Randomness is not god like.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Scenarios

Basically, their side lost, so they got a meteoroid.  The larger problems are the issues others have already cited about the mission system itself.

Edited by Hussars

Nice Straw man argument, but it doesn't make sense the way you attempted to compare. But I digress, scenarios should have the possibility of resting all the maps, this was intended when epic was created and would fix the problems from terraforming.

Edited by thenewcndo

Not really since it also traps you inside your deed, and means that reinforcements cannot safely enter through a back door. The dramatic slopes and depth of such canyons etc I guess mean mine entrances are out of the question to overcome that hurdle.

Then you're not doing it right, its not at all out of the question, you just might have to spend more than 5 minutes thinking about it.

• Like 1

Then you're not doing it right, its not at all out of the question, you just might have to spend more than 5 minutes thinking about it.

Oh I didn't spend that long, my dear.

Plus I said I guess, which is not as you might be aware the same as "I know for a fact after long deliberation", but nice try anyways.

I agree this kind of event is a way too devasting specially considering the size of servers , it's not like you can move 100km and found a new village, they should change the mechanic and maybe revert to a system that doesn't affect terraforming, maybe add events that make your fields unproductive for 2 weeks or turn the village into lava for some time even dealing 60+ damage on a ql70 house, that would still be devasting but managable and that wouldn't affect the playability of the server, add diseases that wil make people and animals  slowly die if they are in the area, there are many ways to devastate players and villages without reducing the playabilty of the server :-p

Tbh, that would discourage me from ever trying epic. Maybe if it was added ontop of what's already there... But no terraforming? So not "epic"

I just think we need more terraform events that "help" like a island, or anything in that nature. And as I've said already, Valrei needs to be fixed mainly - and the current terraform events need changed a bit

Not really since it also traps you inside your deed, and means that reinforcements cannot safely enter through a back door. The dramatic slopes and depth of such canyons etc I guess mean mine entrances are out of the question to overcome that hurdle.

You can always start a mine on the floor which has normal slopes... lol.... then up and out. So weak that argument.

i can understand that ppl who aint even afforded the time to level there chars on there own and purchased them instead, aint have a sens for loseing hunderts of hours work within a second.

i can understand that ppl who aint even afforded the time to level there chars on there own and purchased them instead, aint have a sens for loseing hunderts of hours work within a second.

Please open your mind and read what I have said, and in the other post about 350 days.

I've lost things worse then this guys town, I complained worse then you all are now, and I learned my lesson from it. And I continued on without getting the entire point of the game changed.

I also agreed that things need to be toned down, changed, but a few people are saying removed - those are who need to go read what the heck "epic" servers are.

"Off topic" I'm sorry if I took this the wrong way and you were referring to someone else, I'm also hoping the guys friends come back. Things happen like this - even in games - we just have to get threw it.

And for the reason I buy characters, wasn't to skip what it would feel like accomplishing things on my own, but it was to in-turn help out new players to enjoy wurm and get them threw the ruff start.

With that said, won't be replying to this thread anymore since I think people are misreading my post. Good luck with fixing the deed.

Edited by Druidnature
  • Like 1

Good choice, this thread and everything like it should be flushed. It's becoming the norm now. Good call.

Tired of whining and bitching now.

*exiting this thread too*

I started to think about that eyesore of a mountain that is right there when you spawn on Independence, and then 3 meteors flattening a hole into that...

Honestly, don't make eyesores, keep them, but make them look pretty, and once again repeating myself. Don't make them look like a bug.

I started to think about that eyesore of a mountain that is right there when you spawn on Independence

Dragon Fang isn't an eyesore imo. I like how its a tool for navigation on Indy (providing there isn't fog). Because of how tall it is, its fun to climb too. The terrain on Indy is a lot more mountainous than the other servers, which makes it more interesting. I like seeing the crazy terraforming projects people worked on in order to gain access to some of the more jagged areas of Indy (southern part of the Freedom Highway, Magranon's Scar).

Back on topic, I'm against adding "repairing" terreforming events in order to counter the destructive ones as some people have suggested, because they would end up being problomatic in some cases for the kingdom that wins the scenario. For instance, what if a deed utalized some ravines for defense? Would Fo really be helping his people if he filled them up with dirt?

Just make the ravines and crater's repairable, and its good. Removing them all together would be great as well, because I really don't see how this is making the game more fun.

Edited by Sir Arowhun
  • Like 1