Sign in to follow this  
Heboric

How To Keep Players.......not.

Wow o.o

As much as i want to say "You knew what you were getting into", i cant help but think these terraforming events are a tad too harsh. I mean things like that literally render parts of terrain completely useless. I like the fact deeds can be hit by events such as this, however i think the severity of the events should be reduced both on deed and off, if not just the events which hit deeds.

The whole system needs to be re coded, as-is tiles are made so extremely steep to hit what i assume is the desired level that they are infact steeper then what a player can create ingame, which is just wrong.

Edited by Redd

I'd honestly rather see epic events like:

• A disease goes through, causing death everywhere and spreading from the infected, corpses, and vomit from the infected.
  • A storm goes through, throwing objects and people around with powerful winds.
  • A famine starts, so food is a lot harder to produce. Animals are infertile, and plants don't grow.
  • etc etc
Edited by Sir Arowhun
  • Like 2

I just wish there would be actual testing put into a lot of things implemented in this game.

It's not Epic, these disasters are not 'epic' to the general populus, Epic is the fact you are proceeding to help gods, and become a god yourself... That sounds pretty epic.

Not something that looks like chunk error, I can't wait for these terraforming events to become so abundant due to some exploit or bug that the servers will have to reset.

Knowing the team, I think they'd just rollback the server instead.

/2lazyrollinincash

• Like 1

I can't wait for these terraforming events to become so abundant due to some exploit or bug that the servers will have to reset.

I actually can see this happening too.

Bob, you complain about everything, you have quit wurm 10 times. Epic was meant for this destruction, we like it and everyone knew from the beginning.

• Like 1

lnSqY.gif

Stop living on Epic, Travel to another server, Understand that stuff happens, Past terraforming events should have been a clue, Intend for this to happen on an epic server, Decide then if you wish to be on that server.

Edited by thenewcndo

lnSqY.gif

Stop living on Epic, Travel to another server, Understand that stuff happens, Past terraforming events should have been a clue, Intend for this to happen on an epic server, Decide then if you wish to be on that server.

Are you serious dude? No one I know in epic likes this feature at all, it's dumb and game breaking. How would you like to lose thousands of hours of construction and items that are gone in an unreachable pit? I've seen players complain about player griefing deeds, these "valrei events" come nothing close to griefing. If this feature isn't destroying player deeds completely, it's giving the enemy free glimmer.

Eh, Valrei God feature on Epic is beyond broken.

Rolf should remove this crap.

Edit: This can be hardly called a terraforming event, it's just turning pieces of the map into useless buggy pits.

Edited by Lundy
  • Like 3

I can never take you seriously.

Seeing that deters me from ever bothering to try to set up on Epic.

There's no way I would be ok with hundreds of hours of invested time being destroyed by a 'feature'.

Seeing that deters me from ever bothering to try to set up on Epic.

There's no way I would be ok with hundreds of hours of invested time being destroyed by a 'feature'.

It's more than just hundreds of hours when you consider everyone's time on the deed. I forget the village name, but Jock's deed in Elevation got hit by a meteor. His deed had many players and a lot of construction had been done. Literally everything was lost, all the items houses etc just glitched and were lost underground. Rolf knew about this back then and he didn't do anything even though an entire deed with many players was simply wiped off the map. I wonder if anything will be done this time.

Ah, did I mention they had to rebuild the place twice? Yeah the same spot got hit by a meteor twice.

Bob, you complain about everything, you have quit wurm 10 times. Epic was meant for this destruction, we like it and everyone knew from the beginning.

Nah, I only complain about stupid broken things.  Like pet dragons, Russian Roulette deed obliteration meteors, and the fact that priests are specifically designed to be both important to gameplay for their casting ability, but damn near impossible to enjoy if you are a crafter.

I have taken breaks from Wurm before, but after actually seeing some of the stupid broken crap post-meteor on Epic (where I had three accounts playing, and I was building a deed, while maintining a deed on Freedom as well)  I just decided that Rolf was just going to have to do without my $50 USD or so per month unless he made changes to bring Wurm back to being the game that I actually enjoyed playing at one point, years ago.

I have quit Wurm once.  This time.  I can be brought back, but not without changes that will get rid of the horrible stupid crap and bring back the feel of the game I used to enjoy.  So I lurk, and occasionally post my 0.02.

Edited by Farmerbob

It's more than just hundreds of hours when you consider everyone's time on the deed. I forget the village name, but Jock's deed in Elevation got hit by a meteor. His deed had many players and a lot of construction had been done. Literally everything was lost, all the items houses etc just glitched and were lost underground. Rolf knew about this back then and he didn't do anything even though an entire deed with many players was simply wiped off the map. I wonder if anything will be done this time.

Ah, did I mention they had to rebuild the place twice? Yeah the same spot got hit by a meteor twice.

Aye that was the meteor strike that made me quit.  I'll play PVE or PVP but I don't play PVMeteor.  Because meteors always win.

• Like 2

Just letting you guys know we are talking about it at the office and has taken note of you opinions.

We are reluctant to do anything so radical as removing it, but revisiting the code to see if we can make it a bit more manageable maybe.

If we chose to change anything I will let you know.

Till then you could continue that suggestion thread or create one where you sum up some concrete opinions on what would actually need to be changed to make it manageable.

You can PM the thread to me and I will see to it that we will look it over.

• Like 4

ITT: Freedomers telling Epic players how to play.  If It makes you feel better, at least you all have Rolf's ear.

It might be better if instead of leaving a forever unusable 500+ slope deformed tile edge, the crater performed some sort of soft deformation.  All the craters I've seen so far are a hard round hole in the ground, completely flat on the bottom and impossibly steep ring on the border.  If instead, the border were a deformation but the land was still somewhat usable, say a feathered slope of 300 high tiles, rather than a single slope 500 deep.  in that way, even items inside the crater might be salvageable given a bit of work, and the land isn't just left for dead.  Also, some sort of variety of slope in the crater itself, instead of just a perfectly flat void in the ground would be visually interesting.  Getting even more extreme, maybe the meteor is some sort of rare material that can be salvaged from in the crater, encouraging people to become asteroid hunters and build near a crater hoping to make their fortunes from it.... There are a lot more dynamics that could be put into play than just a gigantic wasted void in the environment that exists now.

• Like 1

Apply smooth to the edges (interpolate), that way at least it looks more natural and would still be possible to rebuild. anything that ends up at the edge is now doomed. Another thing possible is to take the current height of the terrain and make the beams lower it by some value as opposed to just making it some exact number of height.

They arent unusable, there are many examples of places built around these events, fortifications etc. Elevation is a war server, it isn't meant to be pretty. The same guys complaining are the same people who never pvp, is there a link?

• Like 1

They arent unusable, there are many examples of places built around these events, fortifications etc. Elevation is a war server, it isn't meant to be pretty. The same guys complaining are the same people who never pvp, is there a link?

I bet you'd be complaining fast enough if you couldn't even get to Hota except by sailing around the chasms that had cut your Kingdom off from the rest of the map.

That said. The deed that got hammered - my ex-neighbor (they already quit) - is situated on JKH, not Elevation. They had been playing Wurm for years - since well before Epic started. Maybe the thread has now morphed into a recognition that something needs changing in many people's eyes...but the reason I started it is because they quit the game. That's what sucks the most imo. And before you or anyone else comes back with any "well bye then don't let the door hit ya on the way out", you might want to think about what happens when there are only about 30 people left playing.

Maybe that's extreme, but I'm guessing Rolf didn't feel he needed to accommodate Bashur a little hoping for a player influx because he's been getting so many new players his accountants are busy pricing bigger servers as I type.

To me - faithful players simply giving up and leaving is not a good sign.

YMMV.

But it's epic.... everything is easier.... it's not that big of a deal imo. If you want more permanent things, play on freedom.

It's epic, it is effected by pvp (or supposed to be when it works) and everyone knows full well this can happen, even though most believe it won't to them.

Hope your friends come back OP, gl fixing it

Edited by Druidnature

.......but everyone thinks it won't happen to them until it does..

I don't think this was true in this case. They got hit, and started the very large task of fixing it. Then 2 weeks later they were hit again.

Who in their right mind carries on now? Put in a few more 100 hours work to maybe see it go yet again?

To me that isn't a game anymore, and I guess to them it wasn't either.

I don't think this was true in this case. They got hit, and started the very large task of fixing it. Then 2 weeks later they were hit again

Who in their right mind carries on now? Put in a few more 100 hours work to maybe see it go yet again?

To me that isn't a game anymore, and I guess to them it wasn't either.

I've lost 350 days worth of work once, it stopped me for a bit, and i was in a terrible mood for a month because of it. But in the end, you have to carry on.

It is kind of odd though, I've been noticing a lot of these events seem to hit once, then a few weeks later hit the same area again... Curious if that's just extremely bad luck, unintended glitch, or a intended chain of events.

Events do need changed and played with a bit, but removing them? Don't see a reason why we shouldn't call it Chaos V2.

Events do need changed and played with a bit, but removing them? Don't see a reason why we shouldn't call it Chaos V2.

I don't think the majority are calling to remove them, just make them a bit more reasonable, and if in fact there is a problem with the randomization...fix it. If you look at the poll I've made about it in the Suggestions, so far this seems to be the majority opinion.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/89548-suggested-fixes-for-valrei-caused-terraform-events/

The numbers calling for a complete removal are running similar to those who want no changes at all - and they are BOTH very low so far.

Edited by Heboric

But it's epic.... everything is easier.... it's not that big of a deal imo. If you want more permanent things, play on freedom.

Hmm? As far as I understood, the main thing that's "easier" is the doubled skill gain and curve, not increased speed for other things. You might be able to make higher quality tools sooner but freedom has been around for many years longer than epic so it's not like they're in short supply there if you want to buy them. You can get the skill to reduce the timers a bit faster but chances are if you're dumping hundreds of hours into something your skill is going to be relatively high regardless if you're on freedom or not. However stamina is much easier to get on freedom and it helps out a lot to speed up productivity since it'll significantly reduced the additional time on queued actions. So I wouldn't really say that building up a large village is that much, if any, faster than it is on freedom. There's just less grinding for skill on epic.

Regardless it's not that we want things more permanent. We'd just rather not have our work completely nuked with no way to realistically defend ourselves from it at the whim of the RNG.

There are many things that make the epic cluster unique. It's not just the silly terraforming events and I'm pretty sure very few if any are specifically on it for them. I don't think they should be removed since they do add a bit of an interesting and dynamic element to the epic cluster but there should be a much wider range on how devastating the events are and the more damaging ones should be rare and/or limited to being the result of Wurm winning. The typical terraforming events shouldn't cause more damage than what would take a decent sized group a week or so of repair work to fix/clean up. It'd also be neat if rather than being an instant thing it'd be more interactive spawning missions for the losing gods to protect their servers reducing the scope of the damage or maybe a chance to try and divert the effects away from deeds.