Sign in to follow this  
Heboric

How To Keep Players.......not.

Yes, there are "whiners," but its not like their opinion doesn't matter.

You're wrong. Their opinion is BS, so their opinion doesn't matter. =)

If you don't like it, just go to chaos? I still don't see the problem. (Heck, I still don't get why the epic servers were ever created in the first place... I don't see how it added anything to the game in general)

• Like 1

That screenshot looks awesome...

Please hit my deed with some crazy stuff, keeps me on mah toes

If you don't like it, just go to chaos? I still don't see the problem. (Heck, I still don't get why the epic servers were ever created in the first place... I don't see how it added anything to the game in general)

There are many other reasons for playing on epic. No gift exclusive items that give a large bonus to the holders as well as scale and drake hide being very uncommon combined with the curve means there's a much less of a gap issue between new and old players. The gap still exists to some extent but it's no where near as overwhelming. The entire cluster is PvP enabled so there's no running from it short of leaving epic entirely but you can't take anything with you or bring anything from freedom so to get anywhere you have to always play with the risk of PvP and while there are safer areas you can always be a target if you're silly enough to make the wrong enemies. As well as ensuring less of a gap the curve and extra skill gain minimizes the amount of grinding needed by a good amount so you spend more time playing the game and less time grinding.

I think the worst part about the terraforming events is that for the most part they look like they're glitches in the terrain rather than chasms, craters, and mountains usually resulting in unworkable slopes. They'd be a lot better if there was a bit of a limit on the slopes and they spanned multiple tiles with some randomness to them so it's not so uniform looking. Maybe have more of a range on the scale and the scope of the events saving the more extreme ones for rarer outcomes.

But broken terraforming events or not I don't have any interest in freedom/chaos so if it does become a significant problem I'll just be gone, not moving clusters. While individually I'd be no loss to the game I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

• Like 1

Like, I understand you work hard on a deed

if you dont want to get owned by Valrei, go do missions and make sure your god wins

if you dont want to get owned by Valrei, go do missions and make sure your god wins

For this statement to really justify things we need properly working missions and we really need less stupid missions and since the whole epic god battle is supposed to be about PvP the missions should really encourage PvP or at the very least things to prepare for it. No more performing rituals with snowmen :P.

For this statement to really justify things we need properly working missions and we really need less stupid missions and since the whole epic god battle is supposed to be about PvP the missions should really encourage PvP or at the very least things to prepare for it. No more performing rituals with snowmen :P.

It shouldnt matter what the mission is, the whole scenario concept is there to make you travel around and get off your deeds.

I agree some missions are /stupid/ but most are achievable through cooperation between allies/kingdom mates.

I don't think they should encourage PvP directly, I mean, anyone can see what the missions are on any server and set up ganks/traps for people trying to accomplish them.  Thats the extent I want them to influence PvP, I don't want a mission that says "Go kill 5 Libila followers on Elevation" because then most would just stay on deed.  (works the same way for Mag/Fo/Vyn, just used Lib as a example)

these terraforming events are cool, if you get hit by them they make your deed more interesting, sometimes you may not like it BUT its Wurm Online, go terraform and make it work.  Its all about problem solving and proper planning.

Valrei and missions are broke.

• Like 1

Missions have always been broken ever since epic came out in 2011... 

Edited by atazs

Yeah, I wish missions had more of an effect, and possibly encouraged indirect PvP, for example a 'Holy Site' spawns, and all three gods decide they want to build something on it, because that kinda thing is Godly and Stuff. Thatd perhaps make things more interesting, especially if one of the missions were to go to an enemy homeland and dig around for a (Valrei, as in unusable) artefact.

Also I adore Epic for things like its terraforming events and what not, things like that is what makes Epic my favorite server so far, I believe Chaos was probably made for those that wanted PvP and not to be screwed around with by random world changing events. Now as a newbie guide for the BLers, or thats what I used to be, I found a number of newbies expecting not to die, or beingg scared of losing their equiptment, I don't mind if thats what they think, buuut thats probably not whats going to happen on Epic, and certainly shouldnt when you're a BLer. It sounds like a really silly idea, but there should probably be a warning when trying to enter Epic that you should expect that you Will die. Probably multiple times. At least half of them being ganged up on by an Alligator, a Scorp and a swathe of Giants.

Either way, I just feel that alot of people who enter Epic aren't fully aware of what theyre letting themselves in for, and thats pretty sad as that tends to mean quite a few new guys drop out as you start to get to know them simply because they find that its not actually the server for them. Its just something sort of sad that I noticed during my time there.

Madt you completely miss the point.  You missed the point so badly in fact that you weren't even looking in the right direction when you casually started insulting people.

A lot of people have no problem whatsoever with the possibility of some PVP group coming to flatten a place we've worked on.  Cause, you know, it's people doing it.  PVP.  Player vs Player.

If I spend hundreds, if not thousands of hours building up a place, and people come and blow it up, I'm probably going to be there.  Maybe some allies will join me.  We'll shoot arrows at you, maybe try to figure out a way to trap you or steal your catapults, or whatever.  It'll be fun.  Even if my place gets flattened, chances are pretty good you won't get into the mine doors, and there will be something left.  Maybe not, if I build foolishly, but with a bit of help, I can probably restore things.

But if I go to bed one night and wake up the next morning and my deed is a pile of crap that's impossible to terraform fix?  Sorry that's not PVP

I seem to remember certain JK players getting all terribly upset about how MR players managed to create some 2x300 slope holes in the ground to build war deeds around.  JK screamed so loudly that Rolf broke mines so players couldn't use surface mining, mine entrances and strongwall to make little pinpricks in the ground compared to the obscene catastrophic landscape damage inflicted on some deeds on Epic.

My opinion as a new player that started ~2 weeks ago (i actually brought like 7 friends with me) 

there is a LOT of text coming into this game, and quickly (exceedingly quickly) due to the tutorial you learn to not read any of it. I honestly had no idea this stuff happened untill i read this thread today. i've seen the mountains and some of the other event creations. they're awesome, i think the event system is sweet. but there has to be some control in it. i think the ideas stated already are great starting points, not hitting deeds, or atleast make it reparable. or at minimum make it not stretch the tiles so damn much.

And before you say anything about how i should re-roll freedom.

I'm playing on epic, because;

1: faster skill gains sound amazing to a new player. I do not want to spend 3 days digging JUST so i can start digging on a slight slope. i don't want to have to play for 3 weeks or more so i can use a cart. if you want players to play your game you have to allow them to do so without punishing them for being new. its been 2 weeks of me playing and working things out and i can still hardly kill a wolf on my own. i don't want to grind fighting skill on a dummy for days just to be able to defend my self till the guards decide to move. 

2: the risk of pvp is a requirement for me to enjoy this game, i don't want to play retardedly slow paced minecraft. if i wanted to laze around and build something i'd play that instead.

if we got hit by something even half as bad as this, we'd be out of this game, i garentee it. we have our deed on someones old plot with 100 steep slopes, and we can't/don't know how to modify them. I really enjoy this game, and i expect the risk of being hit by players, but when what destroys my village is something i have no defense against i'd be pissed. I completely agree that this feature has the risk of culling the growth of a good game. 

TL;DR: epic is the most appealing game type to new players, and has its inherent risks as its pvp. but this feature would turn off most noobies (probably) if it struck their place.

I'd rather my town get destroyed by raiders. That would be more fun than a random "boom you fail" event.