Sign in to follow this  
Heboric

How To Keep Players.......not.

To put it more into perspective, a picture from another thread of what I would call a "good" terraforming event:

Aye, its not exactly great when that happens. Our old deed had direct hits from 6-7 meteors about 6 months ago. All of us on the deed were considering what to do next, even if that was the end of Wurm for us, but only for a very short period.

Set yourselves new goals, maybe even use the meteor event as a catalyst to try something crazy, near impossible. 

Our old water level deed after impact uM9sbFL.jpg

There is Wurm life even after a meteor impact Edric  :)

Epic seems to be an exercise in frustration management.

Ragequit simulator - How long can you last before you rage quit via meteors

Edited by WesncIsMe
  • Like 3

Epic seems to be an exercise in frustration management.

Not really, most of us enjoy the spirited nature of the server.

• Like 1

Ragequit simulator - How long can you last before you rage quit via meteors

I would applied that to all Wurm.

• Like 1

Tired of whining and bitching now.

A fault confessed is half redressed.

• Like 1

Real problem here is, that nothing warns newcomers clearly enough, about all the creative pitfalls Epic offers. Players join there, because they want pvp, not fully aware of everything. After they establish themselves, it's not a simple matter of "ow snap, I don't like it here, I'm going to freedom", they keep playing, hoping something like this won't happen to them. Then it does, they get frustrated, they curse a lot on wurm to all their friends and quit.

I suggest that such mechanics show a big, red, flashing window to anyone, who tries to join "epic" on tutorial screen, so they simply can't miss it. If they still decide to go there, well that's their choice.

********WARNING**************WARNING*****************WARNING*********************

Welcome new player to EPIC!!!!  Please be aware that on EPIC your hard work can

be destroyed by the random programming of people that DO NOT play epic. They

think loss in PVP( even if it is 100's of hours of making something you cherish)

is an acceptable part  WURM'S GAMING SUCCESS..

******************************Please enter and die.******************************************

********WARNING**************WARNING*****************WARNING*********************

Thank you from WURM.

That dire enough for ya?

Edited by puncher
  • Like 2

Welcome new player to EPIC.  Please be aware that on EPIC your hard work can

be destroyed by the random programming of people that DO NOT play epic and

think loss in PVP even if it is 100's of hours of making something you cherish is an

acceptable part of the WURM idea of GAMING SUCCESS.. Please enter and die.

Thank you from WURM.

That dire enough for ya?

i like this bit at the end "please enter and die", this would net wurm a tone of new players, awesome slogan for any pvp server of any pvp game i would think  :D

I find myself wondering were will all these in game creations be in 5-10 years? will the players raging now even care about wurm by then?  or even still hold some value to there creations from today from any games they play?

Players becoming emotionally attached to game creations floors me, i see no reasoning behind it at all.

Should we not consider that the goal of any game is to eventually become forgotten or turned into a remake for the next lot of gaming fun by the next generation's of dev's.

I play games for fun as do most people i would hope, find it relaxing and entertaining.

I also keep in  mind one persons fun is not the same for everyone so i am selective in my server and game selections.

i like this bit at the end "please enter and die", this would net wurm a tone of new players, awesome slogan for any pvp server of any pvp game i would think  :D

Wurm Online: Losing is FUN

Edited by Alec

It's absolutely perfect, Puncher! :D

Law you got a point there, but there is a difference between you deciding to let it all rot and crumble and logging in one day and seeing such an absolute mess, you have hard time figuring how to begin to fix it.

Imagine you have been building it, for a year or 2, waiting until it is finished, to make a movie or screenshots... and then BOOM! Sure these players could and should be on freedom, that's why they should be clearly told, what to expect on Epic, beyond just vague "pvp-something".

Edited by Aldur

I find myself wondering were will all these in game creations be in 5-10 years? will the players raging now even care about wurm by then?  or even still hold some value to there creations from today from any games they play?

Players becoming emotionally attached to game creations floors me, i see no reasoning behind it at all.

Should we not consider that the goal of any game is to eventually become forgotten or turned into a remake for the next lot of gaming fun by the next generation's of dev's.

I play games for fun as do most people i would hope, find it relaxing and entertaining.

I also keep in  mind one persons fun is not the same for everyone so i am selective in my server and game selections.

I have a great many fond memories of Wurm.  Which is why I continue to hope for a new server one day which actually recreates something like what I used to have fun playing in.  Because today's Wurm holds very little interest for me.

• Like 1

Terraforming events are pretty cool as a concept. It's the current implementation that is the problem. New islands are cool, steep mountains or craters are pretty cool too, but should be more moderate than they have been. And most important of all is that this kind of thing should never hit a deed directly. While it is pretty funny for the bystanders it is never fun to the poor bastard that is being hit by it for no reason.

I think Rolf did the right thing to tune this feature a bit. Hopefully he can make the logic a bit more random but at the same time more considerate to existing settlements.

Edited by Torgrim

Reading trough this thread is giving me big urges to convert to play in Epic.

• Like 2

Reading trough this thread is giving me big urges to convert to play in Epic.

I'm running out of likes thanks to this thread.

• Like 1

LOL!

So I wake up in my bed and I'm standing on the roof of my building on a top of a mountain. I must have had too much to drink last night, those potions are craaaazzzzyyyyy!!!! And I should avoid sleeping next to diseased animals... maybe a fever?

Anyway to get free I need to destroy the building using my writ, else I can never leave the roof prison I'm in.

It looks like a giant mountain rose in the middle of my lands, directly on top of my mine. And here are some beautiful pictures to show you all that this even is major sucess:)

First and second pic are made from the inside of my mine from where the door was (that I had to dig another entrance to). Third picture is just a nice view of where I used to sleep. I guess that's now out of the question else I might end up rolling out of my bed too often:)

7Fgto0p.jpg

FubIZU0.jpg

A7yD7D4.jpg

Conclusion? LOL! I only wish I was able to find some adamantium in the middle of the mountain or something good out of this event:) Else ... who cares! I now have a reason to build another den:) Cheers!

Edited by PlagueB
  • Like 3

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by sunsvortex, November 23, 2013 - Language, escalating
Hidden by sunsvortex, November 23, 2013 - Language, escalating

That's the attitude most of us have on Epic. Not this emo ###### propagating this thread.

Thank you PlagueB for remembering why we lived on Epic in the first place.

• Like 1

The whole reason I played on Epic for a while was that stuff like this can happen.  For the last 2 years at least, the game has spent special care to make sure you know stuff like this can happen.  Heck, there are craters and such from past events on most of the maps.  Unless you dont travel, dont read anything, ignore all warning messages, and never look at your surroundings there is no way you could NOT know that this was possible.

That is one of the things that makes Epic so... Epic.  Probably why the game was made so easymode for the Epic servers too, to make it easier to repair.

That's the attitude most of us have on Epic. Not this emo ###### propagating this thread.

Thank you PlagueB for remembering why we lived on Epic in the first place.

Not everyone is a M that likes having his deed nuke'd from orbit :D

i could bet, everyone in this thread who said "this is part of epic, if you don't like it play on freedom" never got hit by this once. Not to mention twice in a row. So just think a minue what you would do if you had spend 100s of hours and real money in order to achieve something. Then you rebuild it and it gets destroyed again. I would stop playing for sure.

I didn't read the whole thread but I get the gist of it and I'd like to respond to this quote to answer everyone who's upset about this stuff happening.

Epic was NEVER meant to be the sort of place where you can find a corner on one of the homeservers and build yourself a sanctuary and just live peacefully. Anyone who started out on Epic knew this. They knew and were prepared that at any given moment all of their work could be turned upside down, inside out and ransacked for no reason whatsoever. It's the 'hard mode' of Wurm.

It seems however that many people have either forgotten or completely ignored this fact and thought that Epic would be a nice place to make their home and live peacefully and normally. Sadly they were very wrong. I do feel bad for the people who spent hours and hours of their time on their deeds to then have them destroyed like this but it is entirely their own fault. If they wanted to live peacefully and not have their work ever tampered with I simply can't understand why they didn't choose to live on one of the freedom cluster servers. There they could rest assured that their work would be safe for aslong as it's deeded and nothing can or ever will happen to it.

The long and short of it is you basically walked into a boxing ring expecting to do yoga in the middle and got knocked the F out and are upset and confused as to why you're getting knocked out in a boxing ring. The answer is it's a boxing ring, not a yoga mat. If you want to sit and do yoga you have to go to one of the Freedom non pvp servers. Sorry that you had this happen to you unexpectedly but that is what Epic is all about.

• Like 3

I played on epic for a bit on an alt premium when it first opened. It didn't take me long to realize that everything I built could be destroyed and stolen by other players. After a month or so of messing around with the character I left never to return. Still, there was no mention then of these drastic catastrophic environmental effects being possible. This was added at a later date and is sort of ridiculously mind boggling to see the after effects. If these scenarios were made apparent when I started there, I surely wouldn't have at all. No doubt others were in the same state of uninformed pvp bliss when these events first hit the servers and that is what this thread is about, not the risks of pvp.

Anyway, as long as Rolf takes out his destructive impulses upon those epic lands, I see it as a good outlet for him so that these rather strange ideas will be kept far from the more or less peaceful Freedom (excluding Chaos) shores. It seems that the old Viking heritage is one that is hard to surpress but the new staff is focusing mostly on the creative aspects of the game, so I think that helps keep Rolf on the straight and narrow as well.

*grins at Rolf*

=Ayes=

It was made VERY clear before Epic opened that it would not be a simple chaos/freedom clone with 1 pvp server and multiple non pvp servers. I followed the Epic news closely leading up to its launch and myself and everyone I played with understood perfectly that crazy stuff could happen to anything we built at any given time dependent on the scenarios and such.

I simply cannot understand how anyone could have overlooked these disclaimers. Everyone was given fair warning.

It was laid out simple, if you want to peacefully farm crops, tend to cows, grind skills and build without it ever facing destruction then Epic was absolutely and completely not the place for you. If you want to live a bit rougher, have near constant pvp and possibly wake up to find your house has been cleaved in half by the land or everything you own has been looted, then Epic is the perfect place for you. 

• Like 1

It's fantastic as it is and if my mega-deed got obliterated by a meteor, I'd have fun starting over.

Damn whiners!

• Like 1

I didn't read the whole thread but I get the gist of it and I'd like to respond to this quote to answer everyone who's upset about this stuff happening.

Epic was NEVER meant to be the sort of place where you can find a corner on one of the homeservers and build yourself a sanctuary and just live peacefully. Anyone who started out on Epic knew this. They knew and were prepared that at any given moment all of their work could be turned upside down, inside out and ransacked for no reason whatsoever. It's the 'hard mode' of Wurm.

It seems however that many people have either forgotten or completely ignored this fact and thought that Epic would be a nice place to make their home and live peacefully and normally. Sadly they were very wrong. I do feel bad for the people who spent hours and hours of their time on their deeds to then have them destroyed like this but it is entirely their own fault. If they wanted to live peacefully and not have their work ever tampered with I simply can't understand why they didn't choose to live on one of the freedom cluster servers. There they could rest assured that their work would be safe for aslong as it's deeded and nothing can or ever will happen to it.

The long and short of it is you basically walked into a boxing ring expecting to do yoga in the middle and got knocked the F out and are upset and confused as to why you're getting knocked out in a boxing ring. The answer is it's a boxing ring, not a yoga mat. If you want to sit and do yoga you have to go to one of the Freedom non pvp servers. Sorry that you had this happen to you unexpectedly but that is what Epic is all about.

Quoted for mother cluckin' truth!

It's fantastic as it is and if my mega-deed got obliterated by a meteor, I'd have fun starting over.

Damn whiners!

Pretty sure I wouldn't have fun. Yes, there are "whiners," but its not like their opinion doesn't matter. Also, if these events continue there has to be a server reset. No way around it.

I heard that these events were nerfed in the last update. I'm interested to see if they were nerfed to a point that they aren't rediculous anymore.

Edited by Sir Arowhun